Recording Levels

andrushkiwt

Got a new laptop for music, set up my Scarlett interface and Studio One Pro, and am having issues with levels. Specifically, the guitar plugged into instrument line 1 is very very loud when monitoring my performance - but the actual recorded level is much much lower (maybe 20db). I'm absolutely loving the tone and power I feel behind the guitar when performing and monitoring the sound, but the recorded level, again, is far lower and I need to really boost that channel to get decent gain within the program.

My previous setup prior to reinstalling everything on a new laptop did not have this issue. Whatever level I monitored the instrument at was the same as the recorded level in playback. I can't find anything that would cause this - anyone have any ideas?

It's all guitars, and I'm running them through a GNX3000 guitar workshop. No levels have been changed on this device, only a new computer with reinstalled studio software and updated scarlett drivers.

Well your Gain structure is wrong somewhere - try setting them all at unity and see what happens.

If the problem appeared after you change your computer and everything else (interface, cables, software, etc) is still the same probably the issue is in the computer. Since you are using an external dedicated interface the first thing I would do would be to disable the computer internal sound card (it you already didn't do this). The two interfaces may be "fighting". I would uninstall the drivers of the internal card too and would check if you're using the correct Scarlett interface drivers for your your new computer.

It depends on how you are monitoring the guitar. There might be a monitor mixer that comes with the presonus that is not set the same as it was before. I've done this before, where is set something up once, 3 years ago, and when I got another computer I completely forgot that there was something else to configure.

It has to be a software parameter in the monitor path.

I had a similar issue when I first installed my Tascam US-2x2 interface. I totally missed the two channel mixer in the settings panel, which had both set at around 50% and I had to crank my input gain to 3:00 or higher.

Are you monitoring the guitar through Studio One input monitoring or Scarlett Mix Control input monitoring? Could they both be on? Could the input monitoring be turned up in Mix Control?

I don't think it's necessary to disable the onboard sound card. Mine is active and it has no effect on the Scarlett ASIO function in my DAW.

Back