Recording chain question Mixer to Delta 66

kybdplr

Have a Behringer MX1804 12 channel mixer & an M-Audio Delta 66
4in/4out sound card. HAve four stereo channels from keyboards routing into the stereo ins. The PC output 1 & 2 goes to the tape/two track input. How do I route the signal from only one channel into the PC's input 1 & 2 without the bleed from the PCs input ending up on the recorded track. I was told by Behringer tech support to use the Alt 3/4 outputs which works great but when selecting the 3/4 buton to route the track to be recorded it mutes that track from the main mix.

HElp...anyone else have this setup. or any online site to see typical singnal path or mixer setups?

James

Yes but!!!

This Alt 3 - 4 to main mix still creates the first track (Drums)
being overlaid onto track two, (Bass). What if I use the control room output of the mixer instead of the main out. I really confused
There should be a way to do this. Use the PC as a background track going into the mixer while taking a single track minus the computers input.

James

I have the same basic setup and here's what I do:

I turn off my speakers so they don't bleed into the mic; I put on headphones; I assign the appropriate mixer channel to the ALT 3-4 bus and raise the fader and also the Alt 3-4 bus fader; I check the levels and make sure they aren't clipping, then I hit record, listen in the phones to the previously-recorded track and play or sing away. Works like a top.

Ah Ha...

So for vocals thats great. So if I take the headphone output to another active monitor like my Roland KC500 Would achieve what I want also... Sound right AIChuck?

BTW do you like your Behringer? I should have listened to the others here. I bought my MX1804 cuz it had alot of features and was cheap.($300 bucks cheaper than the CMFX bay makie. My only reservation is that the Mike pre-amps are very noisy. My Makie MS1202 was alot cleaner. Had I known I would have saved up for another Makie. Cant I also maybe use the MS1202 as a submixer and ad it to the chain to achieve my goal?

Live and learn
James

The only reason I use phones is to avoid the bleed into the mic of the already-recorded stuff. If you're recording line inputs, you shouldn't have to worry...

I'm thinking, thpugh, that you have a different arrangement. I have my Main Outputs driving my powered monitors, and only ALT 3-4 outs from the mixer go to two of the channels on the Delta. I have the Line Outs of my POD going directly to the other pair of Delta ins, bypassing the mixer, since 99% of what I do is record guitars.

But I still can't fathom what you might be doing wrong...

I'm happy with my Behringer, but then I don't do a lot of mic-source recording; like I said, it's mostly POD, which bypasses the mixer..

If you already have a 1202, here's an idea: use the Mackie to route the outputs of the soundcard, and use the Mackie for input into the soundcard.

Back