Recommended Books for Introductory Audio Prod. Course

masteringhouse

www.masteringhouse.com
I'm going to be teaching an introductory course in Audio Production for second college starting January and wanted to get some opinions on a good textbook.

I'm thinking of Bobby Owsinski's "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook".

Any opinions on this or other suggestions appreciated.

TIA

mshilarious said:
Huber's Modern Recording Techniques is what I started with.

Yeah, here too. It's probably a bit dated now though. My version has very little in the way of digital audio other than a DASH machine.

Allthough Bobby Owsinski's "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" is great it doesnt cover the very basics. So if its a book the students is gonna use and its an introduction (scratch) I think it's not the best one.

Art of Mixing - David Gibson (Visual Guide to Recording)

I found this book much more helpful than Mixing Engineers Handbook.

The handbook is a collection various engineer interviews whereas the visual guide is a comprhensive mixing strategy comming from one person.

A huge plus for the visual guide is of course....its visuals, I think your students will benefit greatly from this (it's also avaiable in a DVD instuctional video, but I haven't checked that out yet).

masteringhouse said:
Yeah, here too. It's probably a bit dated now though. My version has very little in the way of digital audio other than a DASH machine.

Heh. I think I have the fourth edition (1995), I think there's a sixth edition coming out soon. The fifth edition is 2001.

Back