Video courses for rock/indie/general audio production

brummygit

Hey all, I’ve not posted in about 15 years so it’s awesome to see this place still doing so well!

Anyway…I’ve been a long-time user of Logic Pro on and off and generally speaking it’s pretty easy to bang a demo together etc.

But years on after a long break, the recording bug is back and I enjoy following video courses for most things I have an interest in. But for Logic etc, most courses I find centre around electronic music, loops etc rather than actual audio. Or they’re mostly a “I’m repeating stuff from elsewhere verbatim and am not going to tell you why we are doing it, but just that you have to do this”

So…can anyone recommend any genuinely good courses for intermediate+ level on perhaps Udemy or YouTube going from start to finish - recording/cleanup, mixing/use of plugins, to basic mastering? But with more audio (guitar/bass/vocals etc) recording in mind?

If I should be focussing on generic courses that are independent of Logic entirely, then I would be happy to get suggestions for those too :) as long as it’s relatable.

Cheers!
Mark

If you are doing rock then forget about fancy plug-ins. Just treat your computer as a tape recorder and mixer. Get the sounds as close as possible to how they should sound at source and just put a mic in front of them - just like you would have done years ago. Yes, you could use a bit of eq and compression but Logic's stock plug-ins would be fine for this. The same goes for reverb.

Nowadays you can do fancy editing and pitch correction but rock recording hasn't changed that much in the last 50 years.

You might find some of the articles that Neil Rogers has written interesting

as well as some of Mike Senior's articles and podcasts

Hope that helps.

The trouble is you already have years of experience and seem to be a long term user of Loguc - so many courses will be egg sucking. What is it you want to get better at? Because on-line learning, even when done by great people, assume you are doing certain things, hearing certain things and want to do what they are suggesting - and frankly, you'll already be into a certain style of recording. I've been a Cubase user since 95 or so, but I don't think I could do a decent video tutorial as I'd have to assume what people were doing. The things the tutorial you didn't like was doing would be repeated. They have to guess what their consumers want. Once you know how things work, then your best learning is when you want to do X, so you find out the mechanics of how to do it, then apply it yourself, and refine and repeat. All the courses are generic - and you just have to accept that much will be irrelevant to what you want!

Awesome, thank you both!

@rob aylestone I think I just find courses easier than specific mechanics because the same track is used so I can easier latch on to the differences, compare before/after easier, etc.

I actually found a couple of vids that certainly helped a bit and wasn’t a “do this or you suck!” thing. Sharing for example/future readers :) the latter in particular was a great example of before/after with some relatively simple stuff added.

Back