• Rock

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Rap/hip hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acoustic

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Experimental

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I dont give a damn Finster. Just put up the next contest!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Axis said:
I think that the next mixing contest people should not be allowed to add extra parts or redo tracks for their offical entry. Doesn't show as much of the mixing skill as it does their re-recording/producing skills. Also some of the people mixing don't have the resources to add certian things or redo certian things.

I agree, even though I have Drumagog and it would be so easy to just replace the whole drum kit and I could have my sister replace the guitar I could replace bass, well then I'm mixing a different recording, that's why I myself decided to just use the tracks provided, I like the challange and even though some people have better/worse plug-ins and effects you can apply the same theory to different setups, I'm thinking of installing my old PG Music PowerTracks and not using any Wave at all!

Yeah my wife and I are developing a track for a new UPN TV show and after I mix it, I will post it for you guys to have at it. No changes. just as it is. :)

By the way whats everyone using?

I'll either be using Sonar 3 + Waves, or like I posted above, Using Pg Music PowerTracks 8 and it's stock plug-ins.

Halion said:
Erik713, very nice stereo image :) couldn't have done better myself. But where's the volume mate? I'd say compress the entire mix a bit and it would sound a whole lot better already.

It should be there now. I had the same thought which is why I updated my entry. I went back and took a look at the levels of the individual tracks and realized that everything was peaking at about -4. I turned everything up, and voila, you have my new entry :) I wanted to stay away from compressing the mix because that gets into mastering, and I have absolutely no idea about how to do that. I actually tried compressing it last night, but it just sounded pumpy and bad.

-E

Cubase SX 1 with Waves mainly.

I agree about the adding tracks thing, but my mix still uses the first version of the samples, so even though mine has a home-made bassline and second guitar, I still think it's fairly fair to judge because the drums and first guitar are far from as tight as the new samples.

I like the idea of a poll, even if only the people that have entries vote, that would still be around 10 or more votes, plus anyone who passes by.

I'm in with a new mix

After listening to some comercial CDs I found some big holes in my mix so here's my 2nd attempt.

There's definately a problem with the acoustics in my "as yet" untreated room. Got so much equipment on my wish list at the moment and this place was only supposed to be temp but I guess it's time to spend some cash and sort it out properly.

Sorry for any inconvenience

Alec

Starlit Sky HiFi

Starlit Sky Download

Great Lemon and dont get isolated we are here to help. this will count as my thrid attempt to help you tighten up your mixing space. I honestly wnt to help you with this endeavor.

Much better mix lemon...

Last edited:
Lemontree.

Could you tell me what gear you are using t0 mix?
Also, even if they arent monitors, what Brand/Model of speakers are you using to monitor on?

Thanx.

Hmm muffled eh? I did at the last minute, pull down the eq on the master buss thinking I didn't want it too harsh. Maybe a an over adjustment. Thanks for your
thoughts.

T
Halion said:
Tonio, nice, I like it :) a bit to muffled for my taste (especially the vox) but good none the less :)

I wish I had had more time to work on this, but I'm away starting tomorrow. You might just submit it once you're good and ready. hahaha...I should listen to my own advice. :)

.....count me in please....I'll be submitting an entry but probably closer to the deadline.....thanks to finster, giles and especially the artist for the opportunity to do this....very cool idea!.....btw who is the artist?

shes actually a drummer at the local guitar center here in portland.
I heard her jamming one day in the acoustic room, i liked it, and asked her to come record.
Basically because i need some pop type stuff in my portfolio, right now its mostly metal/rap/and electronic.
But anyways shes not too interested in "making it".
Shes just havin fun writing.
Maybe when im done producing her stuff, she may take herself a bit more seriously.
\But i doubt it.

Last edited:
THE REVIEWS ARE IN

lascalboy.

It sounded as if i was listening to the band from about 100 feet away in a wet room.
You may have overdone it with the early reflections and reverb.

NL5.

Good balance as far as the parts go.
Eq is what was killin this for me.
Too much in the sub area(20hz-80hz)was used on the bass guitar.
And the mix overall was a little muffled sounding.
It lacked "presence".

Erik713.

Loved the way the organ made the songs hook really come alive.
Nice work.
Hated the new drums.
The rythm between those new drums and the pre existing guitar and bass was totaly disjointed.
The new drums sounded forced and gave the song a very amateur feel.

Tonio.

It sounded like there was too much in heavey limiting somewhere on the mix. I got the impression that it had been cropped in a bad way.
I also noticed a good amount of muddiness in the lower mid range region.
Plus side is that the balance of the parts was pretty dead on.

Back