• Rock

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Rap/hip hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acoustic

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Experimental

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I dont give a damn Finster. Just put up the next contest!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hello?

Hi. I think i'm too late for the christian song mixing contest. Not that i think i could win, but just need practice learning. In the spirit of my learning what the hell i'm doing, could someone listen to my mix and give me some pointers?
anyhoo, the song can be heard at:

www.acidplanet.com/SEDstar

its the song titled "ChristianMix" (go figure, huh? lol)

PS - was it just me or was there a lot of bleed on the drum mics? Hell, and some of the snare and cymbal bleed on one of the toms sounded better than the overhead mic trax, IMHO

SEDstar.

that was pretty good sedstar.
I thought the guitar could have played a more prominent role in your blend.
And the tone on the snare seemed to lack brightness.

Overall sound quality was pretty good though! ;)

About the recording....
Yep this is a turd of a recording man, no doubt.
But turd polishing can be fun.

xfinsterx said:
Lemontree.

After seeing what isaw on your pics.
You need real studio monitors my friend.
It is true that your room could use a little treatment.
But the monitors are key.
Nice board by the way, that saber looks badass.

I've had them speakers in this room in that position for about 6 years now so I think I know them pretty well, however monitors were top of my list!

I've been looking ad the M-Audio BX8s but they are back ported which I think will give me probs with being so close to the wall (there really isn't anymore space in here to bring them away from it). I've read good things about the wharfdale dimond pro 8.2a as I have about the Behri Truth 2031As but I need to get a listen to all 3 and A/B (c?) them first

uhm, thanks.....

[
Original post was as follows:

SEDstar.

that was pretty good sedstar.
I thought the guitar could have played a more prominent role in your blend.
And the tone on the snare seemed to lack brightness.

Overall sound quality was pretty good though!

About the recording....
Yep this is a turd of a recording man, no doubt.
But turd polishing can be fun.
]

Response is as follows:

wow. Thanks. Butr you dont have to be kind just because I'm a newbie. lol. Guitar could have played a more prominent role? yah...i had a problem with the guitar. at first i just read in all the tracks into my software, and just, you know, had a listen without doing anything? just adjusting volume, no pans or comp or anything. See what stood out as good or bad. I was getting this "Boom Boom" thing. I kept turning down the kick drum track, turned down the bass guitar track, I'm like where the HELL is that huge bass boom coming from? All 3 toms down and it STILL boomed my meter...turned out to be the guitar. I never would have guessed. Did the guitar mic get some kinda pronounced bass effect from proximity or something? Rolling off the bottom didnt even begin to get rid of that booming. I finally snooped around a 100hz at a time with a scientific filter, using band pass and band cuts. There was this narrow little bandlike 135-140 or so that was doing it. I tried cutting it, but it left the guitar kinda thin. I didnt want to "effect the guitar up" like a newbie, so thats how that happened.

the snare lacked brightness? thats putting it mildly. I wasnt happy with the snare at all. I think i didnt gate it right, or else i compressed it wrong or something. I swear, some of the bleed on one of the tom tracks had the best snare, cymbals and hi hat sounds on it. I tried taking the snare out of that, using noise reduction,. and saving the noise (snare and cymbal...) but it didnt quite work.

So it really wasnt that bad? cool. i guess i aint in the running to win, tho, huh. Oh well, ill spend more than coule hours on the NEXT contest (wink) and take it more seriously.

PS - you call it polishing a turd, you dont know what a turd is. I have a set of three "disaster tracks" i constantly remix for practice. They're so bad i figure if i can make one sound good, the before/after experience would make someone pay me. Picture it---> 1.98 taiwan condenser mic that came with the computer...mono 22k or so sampling...bleed over from HELL. The bleed from acoustic guitar track threatens to drown out the cold vocal signal...low bit rate, now THATS a turd! lol. Only good thing is that its only a acoustic guitar and voice track...if you clean it up and polish these two turds enough, it leaves you with a lot of headroom and you can really S-W-I-N-G the meter. I cant even add a virtual drum track or bass line to it 'cos its in like 6 different time zones...lol

PPS - so my vocals were ok on that track? I was most worried about vocals, they seem to be the hardest to do right in mixing. Am I in the running for the contest? (probably not even close, but cant hurt to ask...lol)

well.... i can't compete, after hearing that rumble sound in the bass, that i can't get by any method. I don't know what the fu#k is in there.

and.... i hear, like a little different tone with the voice, in the background.

the song with dolby pro logic in "music mode", compared with the normal left channel, don't match in the timeline, with the other part of the voice track.

gimme that track.... you cheater ( kidding )

SEDstar said:
Am I in the running for the contest? (probably not even close, but cant hurt to ask...lol)

i woulnt know sedstar. im not judging the contest.
Did you read the rules on page 1?

And yeah i did take it easy on you as far as my critiqe goes.
I take it a little easy on every one.
I try to keep it constuctive and positive.
Im not into bashing. :D

The acoustic guitar!!
Lmao! "Ya' Like that?"
Ha i used a ribbon right at the sound hole!

KA-BOOM!!!

hahahah!!

Tonio said:
hey what up Cary!!
yeah have at it.needs a good gtr!!:) Though it was said to use stock plugs, but some have used waves and such.

T

Tonio, that was me tslking about when i do a mix on this i will use stock plugins cuz the last contest a guy accussed me of winning becasue I own every plug in out there. LOL

So I said i would handicap myself intentionally.

SEDstar said:
Hi. I think i'm too late for the christian song mixing contest. Not that i think i could win, but just need practice learning. In the spirit of my learning what the hell i'm doing, could someone listen to my mix and give me some pointers?
anyhoo, the song can be heard at:

www.acidplanet.com/SEDstar

its the song titled "ChristianMix" (go figure, huh? lol)

PS - was it just me or was there a lot of bleed on the drum mics? Hell, and some of the snare and cymbal bleed on one of the toms sounded better than the overhead mic trax, IMHO

Just a rant,

I really find it offensive that I have to register to get you guys music downloaded to put it on my server. :(

Anyway the new server address is

www.mcmrecording.com/pd/contest2/

I am having issues with my DNS provider. Hopefully this will be resolved in a day or 2.

apologies for making you register...

sorry about that. if you were to give me instructions for uploading to the proper place, i'll do the next contest entry upload like everybody else, or do i just email someone the mp3 fie?

he thinks...o0O(I'm lucky I know how to get on acidplanet.....lmao)

wow...i listened to the other entries...mine is really "dirty" sounding. Ill try to do better on the next contest.

Well I've done another mix, this time using the demo of n-track 4 instead of audacity..

..but... while this mix sounds heaps better than my last, I have this insane 3 note watermark every so often in the mixdown! arrrg... what do I do?

waterwrmarks...

what to do??? i suppose you either pay or *crackz* the prog, then the watermarks will go away for you on subsequent recordings? unless this isnt what you meant?

is puzzled ----->sedstar

SEDstar said:
sorry about that. if you were to give me instructions for uploading to the proper place, i'll do the next contest entry upload like everybody else, or do i just email someone the mp3 fie?

he thinks...o0O(I'm lucky I know how to get on acidplanet.....lmao)

wow...i listened to the other entries...mine is really "dirty" sounding. Ill try to do better on the next contest.

No need to be Sorry, Just a rant. :)

I am not game for allowing everyone to FTP into my server. :)

Hey guys,

If anyone needs it hosted to where Giles can download it, or hosted for the regular MP3 Mix Clinic, I can do that NO PROBLEM.

Just email it to me at -

blowfish@attbi.com

I will send you a link, or post it in the thread.

NL5

ya think ? nah man I knew yu were handicappin' ;) I think Nik had some 3/ plugs.

T
giles117 said:
Tonio, that was me tslking about when i do a mix on this i will use stock plugins cuz the last contest a guy accussed me of winning becasue I own every plug in out there. LOL

So I said i would handicap myself intentionally.

Back