Presonus firestudio tube issues

p.babs

Hi there,

First, i've put this question in this forum as I can't find a forum for presonus equipment, and as I'm recording to a computer I figured that it belonged here (if i'm incorrect in my assumptions i appologies).

I've just purchased a firestudio tube, installed (uninstalled and reinstalled) the software firecontrol. and I have found that I have 2 issues with it (they may be related?).

1. when i've plugged in the firewire cable my laptop (windows xp) does not reconize that the firestudio has been plugged in. (I had to purchase a different firewire cable as the one provided is a 6 prong to 6 prong, and my laptop is a 4 prong firewire).

2. My laptop will not open firecontrol. the icon will appear in the bottom right corner (in red, stating that the firestudio is not connected), and when i right click it two options appear, 1. open firecontrol, 2. exit.

I do have presonus inspire installed on my laptop, could this be getting in the way of the firestudio?

I've owned presonus equpment before and never had a problem-any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

Sorry to start with the obvious, is the firestudio mains power turned on?

Has the firewire connection in the computer somehow been disabled?

You are following the installation instructions exactly with regards to connecting hardware and installing software?

I don't think having inspire installed would make any difference.

Does the inspire still work?

Cheers
Alan.

no problem with starting with the basics,

the power is turned on. (all the lights are blue, with the exception of the one connection light which flashed blue and red signalling that it is not connected).

firewire is still on (when i check my ports in my control panel)
hardware is connected properly, everything installed as per the manuel.
I havent used the inspire for about 3 months, but it was working great when I tried it last.

I went to presonus and scoured thier help page, and i've installed the new universal control soft ware. I'll have to check to see if it works.

Also, when I get back to the studio I will disable my firewire port and start it back up again, see if that has anything to do with it.

When I go to check what drives cubbase is using (in the devise setup), and i select to change the VST audio system, it has selected ASIO full duplex driver, but when i ask it to scroll down "ASIO Firestudio" is an option. When I select it and tell it to use it, it says something about error code 2. FYI.

You ight have problems if you have the newest universal control software but not the latest firmware.

Have you updated the firmware at all? if not uninstall the universal control and install the one that came with your unit. Then update the firmware with the old version of universal control and then update universal control.

Of course you need to be able to connect it in the first place so if this problem existed before you updated the universal control the point may be mute.

I can't remember if the drivers come with universal control or not but you want to use the original drivers until you update the firmware.

I'll try updating the firmware as per your instructions-but as I stated in my first post (i think), it doesn't connect either way.

I also tried uninstalling my inspire drive, but it keeps telling me that there's another installation taking place so it can't unintall it now.

okay,

I reinstalled the original firecontrol files as per your instructions, I can't open one of them (firecontrol) which is no change from when i first installed them. I could open firecontrolpanel, but it did not give me the option of updating firmware as per oresonus's website.

I then reinstalled the universal control, it told me that it's firmware is up to date.

I have been trying to think this through,

If it says firmware up to date, how can it do this if it can't see the device? Why it's connected does the firewire device show data transfer within the network window for the firewire card? Have you done a windows search for devices to see if a driver is installed for the fire studio and if the computer even knows it's there?

QuoteI also tried uninstalling my inspire drive, but it keeps telling me that there's another installation taking place so it can't unintall it now.
This is a bit of a worry, I know you have done all this before, but I would uninstall everything Presonus and start again, following the instructions in the manual exactly.

The problem may not be a presonus problem but a computer firewire problem, do you have anything else firewire you could try out? Especially something that uses the 4 pin cable. Do you have any other computer you could try an install on?

I don't have another cpu, but i can get my hands on one, and I do have another unit I can use to see if my firewire is working properly (I have my inspire unit).

I've contacted presonus, they are taking me through the process of uninstalling my drivers step by step. I'll try this tonight, hopefully it works.

Thanks for the response.

okay, i've had a little success (But not total).

I followed presonus's directions and removed all drives installed on my laptop.

when i reinstalled everything, and updated my driver using devise manager i had some good things happen, and a not so good thing.

good news: the firestudiotube is no longer flashing, indicating that it believes it is synced with the laptop.

badnews, the universal control icon is still red, meaning that it isn't reading the firestudiotube.

badnews#2: when I try to swich the ASIO driver to firestudio tube i get error code: aa.

any ideas out there?

I checked for new firmware, there isn't any.

Hmmm, that is odd. Stupid question but have you tried rebooting the computer and the firestudio? Let the PC boot completely and then turn on the firestudio.

Also, did the presonus guys ask about your firewire chipset? When I had issues they made me send a report from the computer with all my hardware specifics.

he didn't say anything about a chipset, but did mention a NFO file (don't know if this is the same thing?).

and i have rebooted the cpu and firestudio, no luck yet.

ha, it was as simple as going to my devise manager and updating the driver. (of course i did this after removing ALL of my files and drivers associated with firestudio).

New issue i guess, but i'm guessing that it's because my sound card is a laptop soundcard, hence the drum recordings are coming through brutally under all conditions (but when i run through a live pa system it sounds awesome). ahh well, i've got another cpu i can get my hands on for next to nothing which should solve this little problem.

Cool, glad it's up and running.

You may want to pick up some good studio monitors, that would solve you're onboard sound issue.

Cool, glad it's up and running.

You may want to pick up some good studio monitors, that would solve you're onboard sound issue.

I talked to my presonus guy down at the music shop. He said not to worry about the soundcard in my laptop as the presonus acts as tthe soundcard and it bypasses it.

When I listen to the live track trough my headphones it comes through beautifully, but when i play back the recording it sounds like crap. almost like it is constantly cliping (which i gurantee it is not). The same goes for when I run it through my pa system.

I have found out that I don't have a fast enough hard drive-mine runs at 5400 rpm, apparently 7200 rpm is preferred. This is definatly the cause of my third probelm-the recording will ramdomly stop/not start when told to. So I'll fix that by simply upgrading my hard drive.

all that being said, good studio monitors are on the 'to do' list!

Back