Pedal Question

Also ..... all dist/OD pedals have their own sound ...... there's nothing wrong with liking that sound and just straight into an amp isn't the only way to get a good distortion.
For Greg it is because that's a key element to his sound. What is gonna be key to your sound might be different.

Yup. I just prefer the simple raw tone of guitar + amp. My tonal requirements are fairly basic. You do what you gotta do to get the sound you want. That might mean a different guitar or amp, or just adding a pedal or two.

Rat pedals, at least the older ones and I imagine the newer ones, too, sound great to my ears as another contender in the OD pedal race.
I have a 1991 Vintage Reissue RAT and I pretty much hate it. I've taken it apart and checked the components to verify that it is indeed one of the desirable ones, but I just can't stand it anymore. The RAT is one of those love/hate pedals. People either love them or hate them.

People either love them or hate them.

I haven't heard the newer ones (post'80s). The singer in my hs band played rhythm guitar and had one and it sounded good to me. Of course, compared to my DOD Performer series distortion pedal and the distortion in my Peavey Bandit amp at the time, most anything was going to sound great. :)

I have a 1991 Vintage Reissue RAT and I pretty much hate it. I've taken it apart and checked the components to verify that it is indeed one of the desirable ones, but I just can't stand it anymore. The RAT is one of those love/hate pedals. People either love them or hate them.

Is it any different than the new one that I have?

I just bought a Keeley Fuzz Head to use with my Cry Baby, it's pretty cool.

I haven't heard the newer ones (post'80s). The singer in my hs band played rhythm guitar and had one and it sounded good to me. Of course, compared to my DOD Performer series distortion pedal and the distortion in my Peavey Bandit amp at the time, most anything was going to sound great. :)

I was running a DOD distortion and some blue phaser, I thought is sounded great.
One day a nerd friend gave me a home made open-chassis tube pre-amp to sit on top of my amp.
That thing was insane going through the fender (if a bit difficult to control).

I was running a DOD distortion and some blue phaser, I thought is sounded great.

There are a few DOD pedals that I like, but their overdrive pedals I have never been a fan of. I owned the American Metal pedal (FX56?) in high school and remember playing a talent show and how absolutely shitty that thing sounded in a big, open environment through my rig, which at that point was a Peavey Musician head on a 4x12 cab with an American Strat (I realize the shit sound was not totally the pedal's fault in this rig :) ). The Performer series were the higher end, 18v (I think 18v) pedal line and I didn't care for the 555 distortion at all, either. I think I may have tried the grunge pedal at one point, too. That's some of my experiences with them, but that doesn't mean they don't or won't work perfectly for you.

I went and listened to the two Rats.
Meh, the difference isn't big enough to be concerned about and I l already have the newer one.
A lot of times guitarists wax poetic about how much better gear sounded in the good old days.
I for one thinks it's a bunch of bullshit.

I for one thinks it's a bunch of bullshit.
It often is bullshit that's simply the rose colored glasses we see things of our youth thru.

A frined of mine has an extensive collection of old amps and he has a couple of Silvertone twin twelves that I often see people rave about and you know what? They SUCK!!! Suck out loud ..... suck just period.

He also has a few Kustoms and I used to love Kustoms and still think the bass amps are decent even today although 100 and 200 watts simply isn't enough for today.
but the guitar amps? SUCKAGE!!! I remembered them as being decent and I do see people talk about how good they sound.
Here's a spoiler alert .... they don't.

:D

Lol. Maybe. I'm trying to trade it off for a flanger, but no one's biting.
If I have a falnger I'd trade it for the Rat. Lemme look around and no, I won't trade my Ross Flanger for it but I might have a Boss Flanger I'd swap.

If I have a falnger I'd trade it for the Rat. Lemme look around and no, I won't trade my Ross Flanger for it but I might have a Boss Flanger I'd swap.

I like my Ross flanger, too. I also used a Boss BF2 back in the '80s and I always liked the sound of it. It almost seemed more powerful (for lack of a better word...maybe more saturated is what I meant) than the Ross. I never owned them at the same time so I never got to A/B them.

I'll throw in another endorsement for the tube screamer. I use it with my mesa DC-5 for leads primarily. You could possibly make it sound harsh if you tried, but I have it dialed in right now and my tone is definitely not harsh. I use it more or less at 12:00 on the drive, 1:30 on the level, and tone at 3:00. I once turned the level way up and I think the clean channel on my amp couldn't handle it.

Back