Questions about safe storage of effects pedals, amplifiers, audio interfaces, and other music electronics.

gene12586

Hey all,
So I moved into a new apartment not long ago, which is a basement apartment. I have a bunch of music electronics, and I have some questions about where and how is safe to store them. First off, I have a multi-shelf rack on which I’ve been keeping my guitar effects pedals. The shelves aren’t covered – so the pedals and other electronics are out in the open – I like displaying them like this because they give more life and color to the room. So first question is: Is it ok to leave the guitar effects pedals out in the open like this? Or could they get damaged like this (from dust or moisture or whatever else)? On the same shelves I also have an audio interface and a preamp. So same questions for the interface and preamp: Is it ok to leave them out in the open or could they get damaged like this? Another issue is that the rack with the effects pedals, interface, and preamp is about 2 feet from the door that leads to the back yard (the door is technically a double door because it’s a door and a closeable screen door as well) and the rack is also about 2 feet below some windows. I always leave the door closed and the windows are occasionally opened for several hours at a time (of course if it’s raining outside I’ll never open them). So my next question is whether the proximity to the door and/or window for the electronics is a bad thing or not? Next thing is that there is a floorboard heater not far from the rack with all the electronics – the shelf closest to the floor is about 8-12 inches from the heater, and the other shelves are further than that from the heater. So next question is if being that close to the heater is safe for the electronics? Finally, I also have a guitar amplifier (a tube amp). I like to keep it out on display to bring more life and color to the room. The amplifier is standing on an isolation platform which keeps the amplifier about 2.5 inches off of the floor – and the isolation pad is on top of a carpet. Is it safe to leave the amplifier out in the open like this or could it get damaged (by dust or moisture or whatever else)? Also, the amplifier is about 5 feet from the doors and windows – is that a safe distance to have it at or should it be further? Also, right below the portion of the carpet upon which the isolation pad with the amplifier stands is a weep hole (which is probably about 8-10 inches deep). The weep hole rarely gets any water in it – at most, once ever 4-5 months when it rains really hard there might be a couple of inches of water that comes up in the weep hole, but it will never overflow. Is it safe to have the amp there assuming that the weep hole is never overflowing and rarely getting any water? I could easily move the amplifier to the right or the left so that it’s not directly over the portion of the carpet that’s over the weep hole. I just like keeping it where it is currently because that keeps it directly in the center of the room. Finally, last question is what a safe temperature to store the electronics in is. When I’m at home, for most months of the year the temperature is at about 73 degrees in the room. But when I’m not at home in the summer I turn off the AC and the temperature can get up into the 80s. But there is like 1 month at the end of fall and 1 month at the beginning of spring in which the temperature in the room can get down into the 50s because the heat only kicks in when it gets cold enough. So this begs the question what the safe range of temperatures is to store these electronics in are??
Sorry for so many questions.
Any help is appreciated.

My goodness you're a worrier! I have over 40 years of equipment that has been on shelves, in a shipping container, in a damp attic, in a theatre on the end of a pier in the damp and cold for 6 months a year and everything is fine. If you leave the kit in dry conditions, nothing happens. In damp or salty conditions, then steel components start to rust - surface rust first - but that is months in the damp. If it is a place where condensation is a problem, then that can occasionally causes electrical faults. None of your examples would worry me in the slightest.

Let's face it - our sort of gear gets thrown in the back of vans, gets pulled off stages, occasionally subjected to rain, cold, heat and of course abused by the owners in accidental and deliberate ways.

If it's designed with a handle, then strength and reliability has been considered in the design. Electronics don't like moisture - but a dry out in a warm dry environment usually sorts things. My office is unattended for 3 months each year between November and January. No electric on, no heating and it's fine.

Honestly, you're worrying about nothing.

My goodness you're a worrier! I have over 40 years of equipment that has been on shelves, in a shipping container, in a damp attic, in a theatre on the end of a pier in the damp and cold for 6 months a year and everything is fine. If you leave the kit in dry conditions, nothing happens. In damp or salty conditions, then steel components start to rust - surface rust first - but that is months in the damp. If it is a place where condensation is a problem, then that can occasionally causes electrical faults. None of your examples would worry me in the slightest.

Let's face it - our sort of gear gets thrown in the back of vans, gets pulled off stages, occasionally subjected to rain, cold, heat and of course abused by the owners in accidental and deliberate ways.

If it's designed with a handle, then strength and reliability has been considered in the design. Electronics don't like moisture - but a dry out in a warm dry environment usually sorts things. My office is unattended for 3 months each year between November and January. No electric on, no heating and it's fine.

Honestly, you're worrying about nothing.
Thank you! Good to hear.

Back