Synthesisers/pods/pedals?

Retired

Hi,

I'm setting up a studio from scratch as a total novice and gathering kit. My instruments are 3 violins including an 1880 German;all acoustic and a genuine Russian 3 string ballalaika.

Studio_0001.JPGStudio_0002.JPGStudio_0003.JPG

My studio is small measuring 144" x 78" with 96" ceiling height; door at one end and a long glazed window.

Gear so far;

Tascam DP- 008EX
Rode condenser mic on home made stand at the moment due to space problems.
Guitar amp Laney LX20R
M-Audio amplified monitors.
Behringer UMC404MD interface.
Laptop with 8 gig ram and SSD drive.
Fishman V-200 pick due to arrive very soon.

I mostly play/record/play back my German violin but I'd like to try different sound effects. I watched a girl playing her violin on YouTube and she was using a foot pedal this was a Micro-Pod and I've been trying to find this pedal here in the UK but she was in America so the pedal not available here.

Please treat me like a total novice but I'm spending far too much time trying to research and understand pedals; pods and synthesisers etc at the moment I'm baffled but I'm a quick learner and I do have some funds available so can anyone clear the fog a bit please; I see lots of electronic kit for guitars and wonder if this would also be of use to me with violins and if so any suggestions please; what to search for how to connect up for playing directly through the amp using the pickup and how to record through the Tascam using the pickup; at the moment I can record using the Rode mic on phantom power but if I try to use the amp then massive distortion sets in due to cross talk hence I've now bought the pickup.

1657012814523.png

There are lots of such kit on eBay as shown above but could I use it with violins please?

Sorry to be vague and possibly I'm not asking the right questions regarding kit but at least I've now asked and jumped in at the deep end. I've already received help on the Tascam section which I'm truly grateful for and am now aware of feedback due to the confined space.

Kind regards, Colin.

I guess you can use most multi effect units for guitar also for violin. The question is how you record the sound. A mic in the room or a pickup system attached to the violin?
With a (piezo) pickup the system should behave like any acoustic guitar with a piezo system.
With a mic, you have to check if the signal needs to be boosted or if your FX unit has a dedicated mic input. Also you will record hall from the room (which can be good or bad, depending on the room sound).

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply @Trichter; I'm going to try both mic and piezo pickup; I've found out the hard way my amplified monitors/ Rode condenser mic/ Tascam combination fall out with each other; I'm informed the piezo pickup won't be affected by feedback issues but as I say I'm new to all this with a great deal to learn; I didn't even know what an FX unit is but I do now after a web search; once I've gathered all the kit I can start to experiment but often a little help goes a very long way so i really do appreciate any information kindly given.

Kind regards, Colin.

You didn't say exactly what the pick-up is. I think they sometimes stick little mics on violins.
I believe I've seen them at studiospares.com.
If it is a mic, you could probably go straight into your interface.
I would listen to the violin + effects result on headphones, to avoid feedback.
There are plenty of great effects units around. I'm using a rack mounted Behringer Virtualizer 3D FX2000, which only cost ~£115.
A piezo is going to need a pre-amp, before going into a guitar effects box.

Hi,
Thanks so much @Slouching Raymond for the useful information. I mentioned the pickup is a "Fishman V-200" which is due to arrive soon so as yet I'm totally ignorant of using a pickup on a violin;

1657043755559.png

I've also got this Rode condener mic;

1657043885579.png

Excellent tip regarding using headphones; at the moment the only phones I have are very cheap eBay items so I could upgrade without problems also the tip about using the interface with the Fishman pickup; I can try this once the pickup arrives.

Best tip of all and exactly what I really wanted to know was what sound effects unit to buy because I'm truly overwhelmed by so many on the web and didn't want to make expensive mistakes; I'll definitely have a good look at the Behringer you kindly recommend; I already have the Behringer interface which seems an excellent unit. How typical Thomann have sold out of this model but I'll look around and possibly find it elsewhere if I can I'll buy it.

Everything is starting to come together quickly and the studio is coming along nicely. I've just enjoyed a violin practice playing a section of "Somewhere my love" my dream is to play this in its entirity but it's slow going because now at 74 I can easily forget what day it is so violin playing is taking fierce concentration but I'll get there in the end. "Twinkle twinkle little star" was a good starter putting me back into nursery school.

Thanks again @Slouching Raymond you've moved me light years ahead with your reply.

Update; I've chased the Behringer Virtualizer around the web and everywhere I've found them including Thomann they are sold out with perhaps a waiting time to October? I'm sure this shows just how good they are. I don't have an Amazon account because I was messed around by Amazon years ago regarding buying a computer. I've seen a secondhand unit in Derby at £85 without box and collection only but no returns so I'm not risking it. Similar alternatives please even if costing up to £200 new.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
I had a look around, and gear4music said 2023 for the Behringer effects box, but there are many other options.
I use the brand Extreme Isolation headphones, which I use when playing drums, because they are less likely to spill audio into a microphone.
Adecent pair of 'closed back' headphones should do the job.
I looked up your pick-up, which is piezo, and requires an impedance matching preamp. I'd just plug it into your interface, and see what you get.

Twinkle Twinkle is not so nursery school. Mozart wrote a set of variations on it.

Hi,

Many thanks again @Slouching Raymond I truly appreciate all your advice/suggestions.

1657088161144.png

I'm now well sorted having just bought the two items seen above; 3 year warranty on the pedal; not the cheapest pedal but reviews state it's a good one so rather than mess around dithering what to do I bought this pedal knowing I'll never need to upgrade for my needs but it sure looks interesting to play around with.

The pickup I bought can be used without preamp but it's recommended to use a preamp so I'll suck it and see.

WOW I didn't realize Twinkle Twinkle was grown up; it got me going though playing the violin. Once I've gathered all the kit and got the studio fully set up I can settle down to some serious violin practice and during our long winter I won't be bored.

Asking questions on the forum has saved me endless hours browsing the web and possibly saved me buying kit which would be wrong for me.

Thanks again @Slouching Raymond & @Trichter I'm well pleased.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Thanks @Slouching Raymond I'll definitely be back if I need more help.

As a novice to my first home studio and all the problems involved my experience might prove of use to other novices in a similar situation. There's so much to take in all at once; I'm already struggling learning to play my violins which certainly isn't easy even if it looks easy whilst watching soloist violinists play even from a very young age. My studio is small and I'm sure acoustics aren't good; playing my violins they sound somewhat flat but loud; when I record to the Tascam and play back through the amplified monitors they don't sound anything like I'd like them to sound; I appreciate I've a great deal to learn and a lot of the problem will be down to me but I'm going to stick with it; my dream is to play Lara's Theme which I've already put a lot of time and practice in.

I'm informed amplified monitors sound different to guitar amps; I also have a Laney LX20R guitar amp but as yet unable to play from my violin directly through either amps only recording first then playback but I don't have a suitable cable to connect to the Laney; lots of new kit is to arrive today so once set up perhaps I'll be nearer achieving my ambition.

I've received emails letting me know the piezo pickup and cable for the Laney amp will arrive today also the second email that the Meris Enzo & phones are to arrive. With the pickup I should be able to play through the amps; and hopefully can adjust the Meris to give the sound I'm after. I was totally at a loss at first just watching YouTube videos but these didn't give me the very basic set up I wanted to know hence I posted on this forum and was delighted to be pointed in the right direction.

I spent quite a while chasing the recommended Beringer 3D FX2000 but everywhere it was sold out hence I ended up buying the Meris but although I compared lots of sites and paid over £300 heres something that didn't pop up whilst searching and I've only just found;

https://esonline.co.uk/product/1324024?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI46_ukazm-AIVKoBQBh0X3gPFEAQYBSABEgK2D_D_BwE

A similar thing with buying the Fishman V-200 pickup; I almost paid £70 more at our local music store but by shopping around got the same item for £70 less and it's due to arrive today.

Many years ago my wife treated me to a Record Power DML 24 woodturning lathe at £200 a week later the same lathe was on special offer at £100; typical of my luck but whatever happens I never give up. SHOP AROUND.

Here's an example of the Meris;

These aren't cheap but can be bought used on eBay but when the seller states "No returns" it's not worth the risk hence I bought new with a 3 year warranty; I bought the Meris after watching lots of YouTube videos and reading online reviews; much cheaper options are available and the Behringer as kindly suggested by @Slouching Raymond would have been bought by me had it been available because at the price it receives rave reviews; I might have more money than sense but one way or another I'm setting up my studio and once the money is paid I can sit back and enjoy endless fun.

A big problem I ran into was cables; there are so many kinds and combinations also male and female connections; it's a huge minefield for a novice and absorbs a great deal of time in sorting out what's needed then waiting for delivery if bought online. Spending lots of money is easy but it's knowing what to spend on which is the big problem for a novice like me; in my case; 3 violins; genuine Russian balalaika; Yamaha keyboard; Tascam 8 track; Laney guitar amp; amplified monitors; Rode condenser mic; interface; laptop; piezo pickup; Meris synth; phones and cables etc; it soon runs up a big bill so any mistake would push the bill a lot higher. I might need a preamp and will buy if needed.

I have funds but am well aware many novices want to create a studio on a shoestring so as I say SHOP AROUND and be very careful what you buy.

Browse the web; watch lots of YouTube videos but for anyone just visiting it's a must to join this very useful forum and start asking questions; please bear in mind there's no such thing as a stupid question; if you want an answer then don't be afraid to ask after all everyone starts at the bottom. I was the one to ask the questions at work others wanted to ask but were too scared; in one meeting I was seated about half way along the wall side in the works conference room; I was in charge at the time of three departments but in the meeting were lots of people higher ranking than me; the CEO was addressing us and everyone was just nodding in agreement but not speaking; after quite a while the CEO said time to pass a rule; stop nodding your heads; the CEO carried on and stil he was the only voice until I spoke up in a clear voice saying I'll talk to you Ian; the conference room erupted in laughter then the meeting went well. The saying is during these meetings its better to remain quiet and let others think you are a fool than to speak and prove you are a fool; I don't care if I'm stupid; if I have a question I ask. Sorry to bang on but I've attended many meetings and seminars where so many are scared of speaking.

I'm a menber of a number of forums from gardening to the biggest machinist forum in the world; I join forums because I want to learn and share interest with like minded people; I admit to being a loner happy in my own world with just my lovely wife by my side. Recent skills I've learned are metal spinning and Tig welding both very difficult but once I start a project I never quit; I'm new to musical instruments and associated gear but already I'm no longer a raw novice; I've gone on enough but wanted to add a bit back for the generous help I've been given.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

The new gear has just arrived so I'm delighted. The Meris Enzo is just a bare unit; no cables and no mains adapter; the cables I understand because these units can be connected to so many things but no power supply although I'm not complaining because neither cables nor power supply were advertised with it; it's a smart looking bit of kit and there's so much technology in its small size; lovely solid metal enclosure with a nice paint job. I'll have a look to see what cables I have and will order if needed. Next day delivery so no waiting in anticipation; looking good so far.

The Fishman piezo pickup will quickly be fitted to the violin and the headphones are very comfortable indeed; I did order a jack to jack cable with the pickup so can connect this to the Laney amp; things are rapidly coming together and I've so much to look forward to. Whoopee.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

I enjoyed the pleasure of playing my violin directly through the Laney amp yesterday afternoon; the new Fishman piezo pickup is excellent and was fitted into the bridge with the aid of a bit of trimming of the bridge using abrasive paper doing this gently not to cause damage and not to remove too much material.

Without a preamp it was plenty loud enough and I also enjoyed using the new phones; it sounds really strange through the phones but nice and I could wind the volume up a bit without annoying neighbours. I need to get used to the amp controls.

I ran into a slight problem with the Enzo synph; these aren't supplied with a power supply but because I play around quite a lot with electrics I always have a selection of power supplies; no problem I just collected a 9VDC power supply from the workshop and plugged the Enzo in only to find it was dead; out with the DMM and take a voltage reading and the power supply was fully working. During all my years of using lots of power supplies I've never known these can be bought with "Negative Center" so I live and learn; yes it needs a negative center power supply so I've now bought one through eBay but last night I severed the 9VDC lead from the supply I already have and cross wired it; now the Enzo is happy. I just didn't expect this.

Power supply_0001.JPG

I used to restore vintage valve radios and these always needed transformers rewinding in fact transformer; coils and chokes etc; I used to rewind them all and eventually knowing how to rewind transformers I quickly learned how to make bespoke power supplies one shown above; this supplied both positive and negative DC outputs to suit the vintage battery radios the batteries no longer available; this power supply had two transformers for high and low voltage the high voltage in 10V increments controlled by Zener diodes from 70v to 160V via a wafer switch and power transistor.

Transformer on test..JPG
Here's the largest transformer I wound when I installed 3 phase 415VAC into my workshop to power the big machines; it weighs around 75kg and here's it's on test.

I can't believe I got caught out so easily powering the Enzo so I thought it worth adding for others just buying an Enzo; music studios and equipment are new to me so I expect to make mistakes but I learn a lot from these mistakes.

I've rambled on enough and now it's time to head into the studio for more fun. I've bought 3 x 1/4" jack to jack cables and when these arrive hopefully I can connect up. The studio is starting to look like a birds nest with all the cables.

Kind regards, Colin.

Glad it is coming together Colin. They are sometimes pretty mean with power adapters. I bought a little Boss effects unit, then discovered they don't give you
an adapter. I had to go and buy the right Boss adapter for it, which is really a rip-off.
Yes, you have to watch out for polarity on these things. I always read the tiny labels on the adapters and equipment, and refer to the manual.
The writing on those labels can be very tiny indeed. Sometimes I have to resort to an eyeglass.
There was probably a protection diode in the Enzo, but you can't always count on that.

Hi,

Thanks @Slouching Raymond; I've bought a suitable adapter through eBay but costing almost £10; at the price for these Enzo's I'd think an adapter should be included especially since it needs a Neg center; how many I wonder have done as I have and simply connected a normal 9VDC adapter in only to find it dead.

Just before teatime this afternoon I decided to play around with the Enzo again the new cables having quickly arrived and was delighted to get sounds out of the Laney mono guitar amp; I was somewhat disappointed though by the full on volume; it could be heard well enough at about normal talking range but through the amp fully turned up I expected it to lift the roof?

DOHHHHH what a total dummy I really can be; playing around with all this new gear having cables all over the place and being unfamiliar with what to expect just as I knocked off I found I should wear phones if they are connected to the amp; what I could hear was sound coming out of the phones which were next to the amp.

I've just come out of the studio with a huge smile on my face this Enzo is out of this world; what a truly remarkable bit of gear it is; with the violin piezo pickup connected to the input of the Enzo and the amp connected to the output and powered by the temporary "Crossed" power supply it's absolutely amazing; even with the amp at low volume it's pretty loud and impressed me no end. I've got zero experience with this kind of gear but I'm blown away by the many sounds it puts out; just plucking the violin strings produces all kinds of wonderful sounds and only on mono for testing; next session I'll connect the amplified moniters for stereo; I've got a stand alone 48V phantom power supply so even more cables to hook up; as a bonus I've also just been practicing another four notes of "Lara's Theme".

In only a few days I've learned so much and moved forward a great deal; next week the new 9VDC power supply will arrive then I can set everything up as it should be rather than playing around with temporary power; I've never been a bodger and don't want to start now.

I'll look into buying a foot pedal for the Enzo because whilst plucking a violin string and turning controls on the Enzo the sounds were amazing; yes I'm very impressed indeed with the Enzo and apart from the power supply problem it was incredibly easy to connect up from violin to amp without the need of interface or pre amp.

Yes these Enzo's must have a protection diode fitted otherwise I'm sure lots would be immedialtely killed by the use of a wrong power supply; my friend David tells me there are Robert's radios supplied without power supply and this particular model isn't protected against crossed voltage by a diode; so a brand new expensive radio can be destroyed at first power up just because Robert's are soo mean they won't install a diode worth a few pence; I bet the warranty wouldn't be valid either by the use of a wrong adapter? It's been a good day.

Kind regards, Colin.

Back