Pedal Question

Hey Greg, look up the Mesa Flux Drive on YouTube and tell me what you think. They also have several others: ToneBurst (TubeScreamer clone?), Throttle, and forgot the name of the other. Anyways, a little analysis of the Flux Drive would be appreciated. I know it's my decision which pedal I get, but I like to hear other people's opinions. The Flux Drive is really more than I should spend, but since I just returned a pedal I bought I might be able to spend the extra $50 without my wife noticing what I did. (Even though she's pretty accepting of my GAS!!!)
Man, I don't trust youtube vids for anything, so I went to three GCs and a local independent music store today and didn't see not a one of those pedals you listed. I wanted to try them out in person, but no dice.

I did find a used MXR Phase 90 for $30 though, so my quest to stock up my pedal board with good stuff on the super cheap just grew by one. :D

And Telegram Sam: I wanted to try an AC15 like yours as well, but didn't see one. I spent a lot of time with an AC30 though. What a nice amp. I played a Strat, Les Paul Jr P-90, and a Les Paul Classic w/ 498/490 pickups through the AC30. The two single coil guitars sounded awesome through that amp, and it got really thick and growly when cranked. The super hot humbuckers in the LP Classic kind of muddied the amp up when pushed into overdrive. I really liked those single coils through the amp though. The P-90 LP was a pleasure to hear through the AC30. I put a Tube Screamer and a FullDrive Mosfet in front of it and both pedals seemed to work well as clean boosts and added a lot of filth when you use the pedals for that purpose. So I'd suspect the AC15 would take an overdrive pedal pretty well.

I did find a used MXR Phase 90 for $30 though, so my quest to stock up my pedal board with good stuff on the super cheap just grew by one. :D
where was that? I've been spooking around the GC (westheimer) used pedal case for the last couple of days and didn't see anything like that

where was that? I've been spooking around the GC (westheimer) used pedal case for the last couple of days and didn't see anything like that

The new GC out here in Katy. It's not a very good store, but it's nice to have one less than 5 minutes away.

Man, I don't trust youtube vids for anything

I find most youtube guitar pedal videos pretty worthless, but while surfing last night I found this
pleasantly lucid and informed presentation on overdrive / distortion pedals and actually learned quite a bit from it.

Worth watching, IMO.

And Telegram Sam: I wanted to try an AC15 like yours as well, but didn't see one. I spent a lot of time with an AC30 though. What a nice amp. I played a Strat, Les Paul Jr P-90, and a Les Paul Classic w/ 498/490 pickups through the AC30. The two single coil guitars sounded awesome through that amp, and it got really thick and growly when cranked. The super hot humbuckers in the LP Classic kind of muddied the amp up when pushed into overdrive. I really liked those single coils through the amp though. The P-90 LP was a pleasure to hear through the AC30. I put a Tube Screamer and a FullDrive Mosfet in front of it and both pedals seemed to work well as clean boosts and added a lot of filth when you use the pedals for that purpose. So I'd suspect the AC15 would take an overdrive pedal pretty well.

Excellent, thanks for the feedback!
Did you play the handwired version? It's a Cadillac! :)
I've thought it through and I think my 15 watt with the Alnico Blue is all the loud I need for now (extremely loud).
I don't remember ever running my Fender Twin any louder for gigs.

8630663758_ba8e23dcd9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice amp! I don't know if it was the hand wired. It was the standard brown/gold accent Vox AC30 w/ Greenbacks (I think). I think the tag said $999. I LOVED the tremolo on it and the "top-boost" high input channel. Nice amp with single coils.

That's the problem Greg. Hard to try the pedal out when it's not in the store. You would think a chain as big as GC would get those pedals first, but apparently not. I think Sweetwater has them and some place in Pittsburg called Pianos N' Stuff has them which I found online. So I had to go by what the vids show/sound like. Maybe I won't get an overdrive. Lately I've been liking the tone I'm getting as I play my amp more so possibly all I need is boost pedal. Well this week sometime I'll try to get over to GC to see what I might try out. Oh, and I didn't put the EQ out front of the amp because I remembered I did that before and was ready to get rid of the EQ. Putting it through the effects loop makes a world of difference with my amp.

Another OD to check out is the Wampler Euphoria (used to be the Ecstacy)

Lovely creamy sound with separate controls for tone, bass, gain & volume, plus a little 3-way switch to select between smooth, open & crunch. Endless tonal shaping possibilities

It's not cheap but well worth it IMHO

I have a blues driver OD pedal and I did the "keely mod" (I believe it's called) and one would be hard pressed to find a better sounding pedal IMO. The old lime green tube screamers from the late 70's sound good too. Pedals are like any other piece of gear...it takes a lot of tweaking and experimentation to learn its full potential.

There is a difference between a distortion pedal and an overdrive, right? At least that's what I've read over and over again. As Greg and ...oops, forgot, I think Miroslav(?) stated earlier, the overdrive boosts the signal to the amp, so my impression about a distortion pedal is that the sound of the pedal itself is just amplified by the amp. Of course since I'm usually wrong about these technical matters...I just might be wrong about this. I do want an overdrive to keep some of the character of my amp, but don't want just a totally clean boost, a little dirt wouldn't hurt.
Nobody ever addressed this.

I consider overdrive as a verb - the act of hitting a circuit with so much signal that it fails to reproduce it faithfully, pushing the circuit out of its linear operating range. This causes a change in the harmonic content, "adding" new harmonics to the signal. This extra harmonic content is distortion - a noun. If you pump much more than maybe a Volt peak-to-peak into most guitar amps, you will over likely end up overdriving one or more stages, and you will hear distortion as a result.

Course, that ain't the way most people talk about these things, nor how pedals are usually labelled! In general, Overdrive tends to mean "less Distortion". The signal is not pushed too far out of the linear region, and the output is a lot like the input with some added harmonic content. Distortion is when it's taken to extremes. The added harmonics start to overwhelm the original signal, and the output starts to become unrecognizable compared to the input.

In most pedals, this happens inside the pedal itself, no matter the name. A TubeScreamer is not a clean boost except maybe at the lowest gain settings with relatively low input levels. It can be used to overdrive your amp, but there will be some distortion added inside the pedal as well. A Rat (my quintessential "distortion" pedal) can also give an almost clean output, and be used to overdrive an amp. But it will also add distortion on its own. Both pedals have one knob to control how much distortion they add, and another to set the final output level. Interestingly, with everything cranked, you get just about the same Peak-to-Peak Voltage on the output of each, though the Rat will have a higher RMS voltage.

Don't know if any of that helps... The line between Overdrive and Distortion is fuzzy (pun intended) and subjective. There is no standards committee. People call their pedals whatever they want. TubeScreamer-style pedals with the clipping diodes in the feedback path are more often called OverDrive, while pedals like the Rat with diodes to ground are called Distortion, but it's not always the case.

Nice straight ahead rock and roll there Greg! The leads, and the rhythm for that matter, are pretty close to what I want to achieve. Are you using your Marshall on this track? Maybe the Tube Screamer would get me what I want. It certainly sounds smoother in your clip than what I've heard on YouTube. I'm mainly looking at using this with rhythm to get the sound I want. Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll be debating myself about this for several days before I make a decision. I'll give the EQ a try in front of the amp.
A tubescreamer is definitely not a harsh sounding pedal.

The SD-1 is kinda harsh sounding.

The Fulldrive 2 is a great pedal but actually it's versatility can be a drawback for some people as it can make it harder to dial in a sound or even decide which way to use it. I have recently been bothered by a certain amount of fizziness that lurks in its sound but it is a great pedal and if set as a clean boost is killer.

The Fulltone OCD is almost always loved by anyone that uses one ..... simple and you can't really get a bad sound outta it.

And yes, I have gigged with all of these.

It's strange that OD/Distortions all do the same basic thing but each and everyone has its own sound so you really need to try before you by because it's your ears it has to satisfy.

I am going to have to add reverb for one, that's a given.
I find it odd that this amp doesn't have reverb.
get a T.C. Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb ..... thank me later.

And I use a loaded pedalboard because I play a lotta gigs where I have to watch my volume.

Also ..... all dist/OD pedals have their own sound ...... there's nothing wrong with liking that sound and just straight into an amp isn't the only way to get a good distortion.
For Greg it is because that's a key element to his sound. What is gonna be key to your sound might be different.

As for getting more 'chunk' outta your AC15 ...... some of that has to do with speaker and cab. Open back versus closed back versus 1x12 versus 4x12.
BUT ..... I'd say you want a dist/OD with tone controls so you can boost in some bottom end or low mids to it. I don't mean a single tone control .. I mean Treble/Mid/BASS.

get a T.C. Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb ..... thank me later.

And I use a loaded pedalboard because I play a lotta gigs where I have to watch my volume.

Also ..... all dist/OD pedals have their own sound ...... there's nothing wrong with liking that sound and just straight into an amp isn't the only way to get a good distortion.
For Greg it is because that's a key element to his sound. What is gonna be key to your sound might be different.

As for getting more 'chunk' outta your AC15 ...... some of that has to do with speaker and cab. Open back versus closed back versus 1x12 versus 4x12.
BUT ..... I'd say you want a dist/OD with tone controls so you can boost in some bottom end or low mids to it. I don't mean a single tone control .. I mean Treble/Mid/BASS.

Hi Bob,
I have a TC Hall of Reverb!
What settings do you like to use on it?

I have enough pedals to fill a board, I just need to get using them.

I've got a Timmy pedal for clean boost & natural sounding grit/dirt, a Ratt Pedal for noise, along with a Keeley mod ts-808.
I just got a Fulltone OCD as well, because it seems like an all around popular pedal.
I have a couple delay pedals, etc. as well as an EH ring modulator (!); ridiculous amount of gear for an armchair tunesmith...

A tubescreamer is definitely not a harsh sounding pedal.

If I were to describe it, I'd call a tubescreamer a balls-in-your-face-rock-and-fucking-roll pedal. It has that mid boost tone that is one of the best I've heard, especially if your fronting into a naturally overdriven tube channel. From a straight up clean channel, it sounds great but lacks enough gain on its own. The SD9 wins here. Love the tubescreamer.

What pedals should I be looking at to put in front of my Vox AC15?

I need to beef it up a bit, and I would like to increase the "chunk" just a little (I think I can do some of that at the amp and the guitar, too).

Look for a DOD Juice Box at a reasonable used price.

Hi Bob,
I have a TC Hall of Reverb!
What settings do you like to use on it?

I tend to use the 'church' or 'plate' and sometimes use the 'mod' ...... very occassionally use the 'spring'. It takes care of any amp that doesn't have a reverb and even those that do since it sounds better than many amp reverbs.
Hell, my Mesa Blue Angel has one of the very best reverbs of any amp. A tech at Mesa told me that was one of their big things they went for when designing the amp.
And it does has a wonderful reverb and even with it I'll use the Hall of Fame instead of tha amp's verb for some things.

Hey Bob,

Tell me more:

You've mentioned more than once your ambivalence about the Fulldrive 2, do other users bring up the same "fizz" issues?
Are you sure it is not from your amp? It appears to have a lot of potential.

How about the Bad Monkey or the Juice Box?

What about Klon Klone?

How about the Digitech SC-2?

Any experience with any of these anybody?

How about the Bad Monkey or the Juice Box?

What about Klon Klone?

How about the Digitech SC-2?

Any experience with any of these anybody?

Yes. And generally speaking, I try to avoid DOD OD pedals. I've tried a number of them through the years (and owned a couple) and they just don't sound good to me. The circuitry sounds like it breaks up electronically in a way that it's not supposed to, like the insides are baking in an oven or something. This is definitely a place where it is worth it to spend just a little extra money. The TS9 is only $100 and, imo, well worth it. Rat pedals, at least the older ones and I imagine the newer ones, too, sound great to my ears as another contender in the OD pedal race.

You've mentioned more than once your ambivalence about the Fulldrive 2, do other users bring up the same "fizz" issues?
Are you sure it is not from your amp? It appears to have a lot of potential.
someone else mentioned it in this very thread.

And no, it's not from my mesa Blue Angel or Mesa Mark V. :D

But as I always make a point of saying, my ears aren't your ears. Try it and if you love it then it's awesome.
I'm VERY aware of fizz and so I notice it at even low levels. Hell, might even be a fault in this one pedal since I don't recall noticing it when I first got it.

Don't forget ..... my stuff sits in the hot truck all day ..... rumbles 30-50 miles to a gig almost every single night ..... gets not so carefully carried in and out of the club and tossed in the truck and rumbles home.
I'm a human torture test for gear.
That's why i can tell ya' that if you gig nightly with an older Hot Rod deVille it'll poop out on ya' in about a year and a half and then i can tell ya' which things to resolder! :D

I don't baby my gear ....... I don't give a crap about it other than my Stinnett custom and even that's just another guitar to me.

Back