Patching an insert

Shack

Can someone please remind me how to do this? I have a Y cable and want to patch an outboard effects into my vocals path. I know one end goes into the insert on the mixer but can't remember what happens with the other two.

First you have to have an insert type cable (stereo 1/4" on one end that fans out to two mono 1/4", one connected to the pin of the stereo end, the other to the ring). The stereo end goes to the INSERT on the mixer/preamp the other ends go to the IN and OUT of the device you want to insert. You have to check your documentation of the mixer/preamp for the pinout to determine which is send and which one is recieve on the insert. Failing that hook it up and see if it works. If it doesn't, reverse them and it should.

Track Rat said:
Failing that hook it up and see if it works. If it doesn't, reverse them and it should.

That's the way I fudge my way through it :D , and it's never the first one I try. One of these days I'll have to get that patch bay I'm always talking about and free up that section of my brain.

Back