Outdoor Miner

robgreen

no face
Hey, I started this a few weeks ago - then I had a bunch of problems linked to the Windows 10 anniversary update and my setup got pretty messed up. As part of getting back up and running again, I moved over from an old version of Ableton to Reaper.

I figured this would be as good a project as any to use to configure Reaper and work out how to use it, so picked up again where I left off. Still trying to get my head around it, but think I've now got the basics.

So, here's a cover of another family favourite. This song blew me away when I first heard it aged about 15. I still think it's a great tune, so hopefully I've done it justice.

The arrangement's pretty faithful, but I did a few things differently in terms of the mix. A couple of calls I'm not quite sure I got right, so please let me know how I did.

**Updated Mix 17th September**

Last edited:
Hey, Rob - really enjoyed this. Nice to hear a cut from the underrated Wire. :)

I think you've done the song justice and got all the instrument tones nicely. Your singing is a good fit for the band generally and you've done a great job with the harmonies. That alone tells me you've spent many, many years listening to and absorbing this track :D

I think the mix could do with a little attention on the matter of clarity. Firstly, although the drums are nice I think they need drying a little and bringing further forward. The kick is a perfect volume with the guitars and bass. I also think the vocal is a nice volume but could be a bit crisper in the high mids in order to maintain clarity when the harmonies start to build up.

When the slowed-down refrain begins in the latter part of the song, it's completely buried. I think it would be good to pan your doubled chorus vocals left and right a bit, lower their volumes slightly and allow the refrain to come through the centre. Turn it up quite a bit as well? Is the refrain doubled? If not it needs to be and the EQ sharpened/thinned out a little :D

Very enjoyable. :)

I like this. Catchy song and good performances all around. I'm not familiar with the original, but I dig the purity of the mix. It reminds me of an AM radio pop mix from the 1960s, with vocal dry and very forward and with instrumentals in a supporting role. I agree with Bubba that the drums are a bit in the background, especially by comparison to the bass which is fairly prominent. Those are minor issues. My one complaint is that the energy level doesn't vary much. There are certain points in the song where it seems to me that you want to step up the intensity and energy, for example the pre-chorus that starts around 0:35 and what sounds like the chorus twenty seconds later, and further repetitions throughout the song. You come off sounding a little too restrained at those points in the song.

Rob, you sing exactly like Tobin Sprout (especially his solo records). It's amazing how similar.

I don't have any problems with the mix. I think the guys are right the drums are low, but somehow it fits okay here and a lot of this stuff is subjective.
If you called this done I wouldn't have any nits with it.

Nice job doing a Wire song. My favorite is "three girl rhumba" and I only know the album that one's on, so I don't even know this tune, but I dig it. It's been nice getting Wire, Pixies, etc in the clinic. You should cover a Tobin Sprout song!

Rob, good to see something from you.

I'm trying to figure out if it's Soundcloud, the mp3 encoding, or something in the mix that strikes me as odd. There's some hollow quality that seems to be affecting mostly the drums. It almost sounds like comb filtering, but that'd be unlikely with sampled drums. Is there an EQ or modulation on the drums maybe? Heck, maybe it's just Soundcloud's obnoxious encoding that's the culprit.

Vocals sound great, so does the bass guitar. Electric guitar has a smidge of a tuning/intonation issue when accompanying the piano...I mainly noticed in the intro.

It appears that you're doing well with Reaper, this sounds like a good project. I say keep 'em coming!

Very cool stuff.
Bass goes from almost no bottom end to lots in the main progression. You made need to medaite and get a bit of both though it does sound right for the era and song.
Cool.

Hey, Rob - really enjoyed this. Nice to hear a cut from the underrated Wire. :)

I think you've done the song justice and got all the instrument tones nicely. Your singing is a good fit for the band generally and you've done a great job with the harmonies. That alone tells me you've spent many, many years listening to and absorbing this track :D

I think the mix could do with a little attention on the matter of clarity. Firstly, although the drums are nice I think they need drying a little and bringing further forward. The kick is a perfect volume with the guitars and bass. I also think the vocal is a nice volume but could be a bit crisper in the high mids in order to maintain clarity when the harmonies start to build up.

When the slowed-down refrain begins in the latter part of the song, it's completely buried. I think it would be good to pan your doubled chorus vocals left and right a bit, lower their volumes slightly and allow the refrain to come through the centre. Turn it up quite a bit as well? Is the refrain doubled? If not it needs to be and the EQ sharpened/thinned out a little :D

Very enjoyable. :)
Great feedback, thanks a lot Bubba. Yeah, I've heard this song a lot of times. The first would have been the late 90s and with CDs being so expensive at the time and the days before streaming, it was a long time before I heard anything else by Wire. Made them and this weird pop song with cryptic lyrics even more intriguing and mysterious for me at the time.

You've actually picked up on most of the areas I've been umming and aahing about. Firstly, I completely agree about the drums. The song needs a dry drum sound - I didn't add any reverb at all to the track, but I'm using EZ drummer with the stock kit on the tight setting. I tried to get it as dry as I could, but this was about as far as I seemed to be able to get it. I'd actually uploaded the song to soundcloud and was about to post when I got last minute jitters about the drums, turned them down and reuploaded. I wonder whether some kind of gating might overcome the 'natural' verb that's on them and dial in the sound better. Not something I've ever tried before, but I'll give it a go and see if it improves things on the update. Will look at the EQ on the vocals too.

The clarity in that last section was another area I was uncertain on. All the harmony vocals other than the layered chorus parts were first takes. I only meant for them to be placeholders while I worked out the arrangement, but they worked pretty well, and so I kept them. They were done in Ableton and I bounced them all over to a single stereo track on Reaper as a batch. Made me a bit lazy with the panning and EQing. Your feedback's a good cue to sort that out properly.

Overall volume - yeah, I'm still working out how to do that. I turned up the master fader and it started distorting even though it wasn't clipping so I backed off. Probably an internal setting on my machine, but just needs figuring out.

Thanks a lot mate, glad you enjoyed it too :)

I like this. Catchy song and good performances all around. I'm not familiar with the original, but I dig the purity of the mix. It reminds me of an AM radio pop mix from the 1960s, with vocal dry and very forward and with instrumentals in a supporting role. I agree with Bubba that the drums are a bit in the background, especially by comparison to the bass which is fairly prominent. Those are minor issues. My one complaint is that the energy level doesn't vary much. There are certain points in the song where it seems to me that you want to step up the intensity and energy, for example the pre-chorus that starts around 0:35 and what sounds like the chorus twenty seconds later, and further repetitions throughout the song. You come off sounding a little too restrained at those points in the song.
Cool, thanks a lot Robus. Wire were first wave UK punk I guess, though they broadened their style pretty quick. This is a bit poppier than a lot of their stuff and I like the contrast between the dry lead vocal and the verby harmonies.

I think it's a good point about the intensity issue for the chorus. I'm pretty happy with the verses and harmonies, but I struggled to hit the attitude of the original in the chorus. I might try and retrack and see if I can get it better - but I often struggle with pitch when I try and sing with more force.

Drums should be fixable as mentioned above. Thanks for listening Robus, I'll work on an update.

Rob, you sing exactly like Tobin Sprout (especially his solo records). It's amazing how similar.

I don't have any problems with the mix. I think the guys are right the drums are low, but somehow it fits okay here and a lot of this stuff is subjective.
If you called this done I wouldn't have any nits with it.

Nice job doing a Wire song. My favorite is "three girl rhumba" and I only know the album that one's on, so I don't even know this tune, but I dig it. It's been nice getting Wire, Pixies, etc in the clinic. You should cover a Tobin Sprout song!

Hey Nola. I had to google Tobin Sprout - haven't heard any of his solo stuff, but I do know the era of GBV when he was in the band and like a bunch of the songs that I read he wrote with them. I'll check out his solo works when I can listen and who knows. It might be the most obscure cover ever to grace the board :D

Outdoor Miner was on the second Wire album Chairs Missing, though it's criminally short on there. They did a compilation of the early albums a few years later and fortunately included a longer version of it on there instead. Pink Flag which you mention is an excellent record though. I dunno if you know Elastica at all, but they had two big hits and both of them completely rip off Wire songs. It's to the point of being ridiculous, especially as I don't think any royalties went their way. One of the songs being 'three girl rhumba' and the other being 'i am the fly'.

I'm glad the mix worked for you man - I'll give the drums a nudge when I find the sweet spot with them. Plenty of cool looking stuff in the clinic at the moment, I need to give a proper listen to. Thanks for the listen :)

I loved that first Elastica record when it came out in the mid-90s. I remember hearing at the time the criticism of their ripping off Wire, though I wasn't familiar with Wire then. But basically, that record was a fun mash-up of sounds and influences. Then Elastica disappeared for six or seven years before coming out with a second record, which was dull and uninspired.

Rob, good to see something from you.

I'm trying to figure out if it's Soundcloud, the mp3 encoding, or something in the mix that strikes me as odd. There's some hollow quality that seems to be affecting mostly the drums. It almost sounds like comb filtering, but that'd be unlikely with sampled drums. Is there an EQ or modulation on the drums maybe? Heck, maybe it's just Soundcloud's obnoxious encoding that's the culprit.

Vocals sound great, so does the bass guitar. Electric guitar has a smidge of a tuning/intonation issue when accompanying the piano...I mainly noticed in the intro.

It appears that you're doing well with Reaper, this sounds like a good project. I say keep 'em coming!

Thanks Tad. It's taken a while to get back up and running, but this was fun to do. Yeah, Reaper looks like a decent step up - Ableton could only handle 32bit plugs and to get back the commercial ones I'd bought and got corrupted, I needed to download the 64bit versions. I'll certainly get the full licence in a month or so's time - it's mainly the navigation that's taking some getting used to.

Hmm, interesting about the drums. There's no EQ on them, and I'm not really sure what comb filtering is. There are a few saturation plugs as that stock ez drummer kit is pretty anaemic sounding to me straight off the bat and needs a bit of roughing up. It could be something from one of those, or a multiband compressor that's on the master bus which I'm still getting used to. Could have sent something out of whack there maybe?

Glad the vocals work - one of the things I was unsure on was whether I'd overdone it on the harmonies, but it seems they might be ok. I'm happy with the bass tone too - I didn't do anything with it at all, it's just as it came into the DAW. My bass is pretty ugly, but I like the tone and new strings make a big difference after a little settling in period.

Very cool stuff.
Bass goes from almost no bottom end to lots in the main progression. You made need to medaite and get a bit of both though it does sound right for the era and song.
Cool.

Ace, thanks Ray. If it's cool you can forgive a lot of misdemeanours right? The bass part for this song covers quite a broad frequency range - more so than most songs I've played before, so I wasn't sure how to keep the bottom end even throughout. I really liked the tone of the bass and so I was really reluctant to interfere much for fear of losing that. I'll have a play around and see if I can strike a balance.

Thanks as ever mate :)

I loved that first Elastica record when it came out in the mid-90s. I remember hearing at the time the criticism of their ripping off Wire, though I wasn't familiar with Wire then. But basically, that record was a fun mash-up of sounds and influences. Then Elastica disappeared for six or seven years before coming out with a second record, which was dull and uninspired.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I heard that record too. From memory, I think it's 'Connection' which rips off 'Three Girl Rhumba' and 'Line Up' which rips off 'I Am The Fly'. Justine Frischmann was going out with Damon Albarn from Blur at the time and they cribbed from Wire sometimes too, but never anywhere near as blatantly. I think it might be 'Villa Rosie' where they got pretty close to 'Practice Makes Perfect'.

Never heard the second Elastica album, but I think their time had passed by then. Either that or Wire were ready with their lawyers second time around...

Overall volume - yeah, I'm still working out how to do that. I turned up the master fader and it started distorting even though it wasn't clipping so I backed off. Probably an internal setting on my machine, but just needs figuring out.

Thanks a lot mate, glad you enjoyed it too :)

No problem. I actually only meant turn up the volume of the refrain. Your track has a decent enough level. :D

Hey rob - caught this one on soundcloud earlier today.

Not familiar with the original or the band in question, but from the other comments it sounds like you're doing a reasonably faithful cover here.

Performances are great. Like the bass track especially. Vocals are all sounding good to me.

The drums do seem a bit distant, which as a production choice is fine and fits ok on this track, but I think you could bring them forward, or dry them up or brighten them a bit and still be in the same tonal ballpark but with more of a solid beat for the listener to latch on to.

Well done.

Hey rob - caught this one on soundcloud earlier today.

Not familiar with the original or the band in question, but from the other comments it sounds like you're doing a reasonably faithful cover here.

Performances are great. Like the bass track especially. Vocals are all sounding good to me.

The drums do seem a bit distant, which as a production choice is fine and fits ok on this track, but I think you could bring them forward, or dry them up or brighten them a bit and still be in the same tonal ballpark but with more of a solid beat for the listener to latch on to.

Well done.

Great, thanks for checking it out Heat. Glad it sounded ok to you and that the bass sounded good on your system.

Yeah, the drums need a bit of work. As I posted above, I ended up pulling them back at the last minute as I couldn't dry them out any more and they weren't quite in the right space for the song. I'll see if I can gate the tail and then they can come up again.

I've mainly tried to focus on getting more balanced mixes off the bat with the last couple of covers and addressing the darkness/muddy low end they've often suffered from in the past. The lack of comments to that effect suggests I'm making some progress here, which is good.

Thanks man!

Don't know this one. I am the Fly was the Only Wire tune I'd listened to back in the day. Enjoyed the tune, really good listen. Nice job

I'm not familiar with the original, but great playing and singing all around. I especially like the piano solo.

I'm listening to it at a low volume and I don't get the sense that all the instruments are in the same room. Each one individually sound good, but they are not melding. Vocals are sitting on top, drums a little buried, except the kick. No cymbals.

Try listening to it at a low volume and then loud, find a balance in the mix between the two.

yeah man,

Don't know this one. I am the Fly was the Only Wire tune I'd listened to back in the day. Enjoyed the tune, really good listen. Nice job

Thanks a lot Bulls Hit. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was reading a bit about the original earlier this week and it seems that EMI really pushed it hard as a single - they got the band to re-record a version longer than the <2 minutes one on the album, pressed special edition coloured versions of the vinyl and sent record company employees to buy up multiple copies in chart counting shops. The band were due to go on Top of the Pops, but the single was released the one week that the was a clamp down on record companies 'hyping' singles - it got disqualified, the TOTP appearance was cancelled lost momentum. Could have been their big hit I think.

Cheers man :)

I'm not familiar with the original, but great playing and singing all around. I especially like the piano solo.

I'm listening to it at a low volume and I don't get the sense that all the instruments are in the same room. Each one individually sound good, but they are not melding. Vocals are sitting on top, drums a little buried, except the kick. No cymbals.

Try listening to it at a low volume and then loud, find a balance in the mix between the two.

yeah man,

Hey Chili, thanks a lot for checking it out. Yeah, the piano part for this is really good - that solo is a killer to play without screwing up though. Took a fair few takes!

Your feedback was really helpful - I think I do tend to focus on the individual parts rather than achieving a mix where the parts sound like they're in the same room. It was a good prompt to try and think more about that in future. I've tried to bear that in mind with the update and use your tips.

Thanks, I'll get there in the end :cool:

Okay, thanks for the help everyone. There's a new mix in the original post replacing the first one, but also here:

Couldn't believe how muffled and distant the drums in particular were when I A/B'd the old mix with the new one. I think I found what was sounding hollow to Tad and removed the offending plugin.

So, on the update, lots of tweaks to the drums, new chorus vocals, main chorus vocals panned wide and the slower 'he lies on his side part' processed more in the outro section, no plugs on the master bus any more, and a few other changes here and there.

I think the clarity is better now - hopefully this addresses ray's comments about the bass part too. If anyone's so inclined it would be good to know if this is an improvement.

Unless I've knocked anything particularly out of wack, I think I'll call it done for now. Still not perfect, but I don't think I can stomach hearing it much more for a while. Cheers :)

Great. The drums are a wee bit light in the bottom end for my taste, but they suit the song. The balances are pretty much perfect, the wet/dry balance of the drums is really nice and the whole thing is a jolly good listen.:D

The slow "lies on his side" part is a good volume now, but I'd like the vocal doubled if I was doing it.

Well done. :)

Oh yeah, this is much more open sounding now. Clarity is improved I think. Drums are a little on the lite side as bubba notes, but I think it's a good compromise to get the mix to seem less muffled than it did. Good job!

Sorry, but the vocal counterpoint part that comes in at the end sounds just a bit off pitch-wise to me? Maybe? Maybe it's me, but I don't remember thinking that on the original version...

Really nice listen. I think the mix needs a bit of work. But I still enjoyed listening to it.

The first thing I noticed was that the vocal is much dryer than anything else. It sounds like it's in a different place than anything else. You could probably give it a small boost at 5K for a little extra clarity.

The bass is a little soft. There are spots where it sounds a little indistinct - no definition between the notes. The mix itself just seems a little light in the low end.

The main rhythm crunch guitar is little indistinct. It's kind of mushy sounding.

I can't put my finger on why, but the mix sounds fairly narrow.

Back