Otari MX5050 2-HD electronics issue

thereelman77

Hi their,

Got an Otari MX5050 2-HD and I am having a problem receiving a signal thru the mic and line inputs on the back of the machine. I am only getting an extremely low signal thru the headphone jack on the unit, with the input and output knobs cranked to 10. Haven't tried using the XLR outputs to check the levels, but I'm not even getting a reading on the VUs.

Any suggestions on what I should check into?

Hi

Otari machines are wired pin 3 hot on their XLRs, whereas the industry standard is pin 2 hot. If you fed it from an unbalanced source that was wired pin 2 hot then you would get no significant input signal.

It's unusual that you get nothing from your mic input either, since most mics are balanced, and in this context would still work (albeit technically out of phase). The manual shows the necessary wiring arrangements. If you don't have a manual, they are readily available online for free.

Good luck

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line
Multitrack Analog to Digital Transfers - Reel to Reel Tape Transfer - Audio Tape Transfer to Wave Files for Pro Tools and other DAW - Digitize Open Reel Tapes - Thin Brown Line

plug in a tone generator at the input. follow it with a scope in the circuit. Schematics are online. Also use deoxit in all the switches as well.

We got the input signal to work by re-wiring the XLR on the unit. Now, do we have to do the same for the outputs as well?

The only other thing we have done is clean the unit of dust and clean out the pots. It is working fine now, thru the headphones....

no, the outputs are balanced by using a transformer internally. no need to touch the outputs. If you are using an XLR-RCA adaptor you will have a lower signal level but you can amplify in the mixer or whatever amp/preamp you use.

Back