Oktava 319

wallystripes

wanted to know people's opinion on this mic. It looks nice and can be picked up very cheap at ebay. Im looking for a 2nd LDC, right now I on an AKG C4000B. Do you think the Oktava would stand up to my akg?

Mine will. It's a killer vocal mic. Mine has had a few mods to it (bypassed the pad and roll off switchs to shorten the path, removed the resonator discs from the diaphram, recapped ) but it was a pretty nice mic before. It's one my favs as a vocal mic.

Thanks for your reply Track Rat! How is it on instruments? Im planning to use it on vocals, acoustic and electric guitar and as overhead. Can you compare it to another mic?

Hey,
I put a song up in the mp3 mixing clinic recently. It was recorded using nothing but headbasket modded oktava mk219s.
I recorded guitar, vocals, ukelele, shakers and backing vocals.

I know you said 319 but people say the 319 is very similar to, but slightly more open sounding than the stock 219 so it might be useful for ya.

It seems like whenever I ask about a mic Moresound comes and saves the day haha

Well right now im planning to get 2 mics, probably a ribbon and a LDC
these are the ones on my list:

Blue Bluebird
AT4033
Oktava mk319

MXL R144
Cascade Fathead

the Oktava wasnt an option until I watched this video Andy McKee - Ebon Coast (My Rendition, Jun 05 2010) - YouTube
Playing is not great, and the guy is using an mk012 as well, but I love the bottom end and the space in tthe recording. The overall sound is obviously affected by both mics, but I think the mk319 could be really good

I can't speak with certainty but it might be surprising how much of that sound is the 012, especially considering where it's positioned.

I've used 012s before on guitar and was blown away.

Sorry to rock your world! lol.

4033 is not a LDC? It looks like one to me... anyway, it is on my list.

I know mk012 is doing a great deal on that video, the detail is really good, and I think that is the SDC. I wont be able to get that sound with the 319 by itself, but anyway I think it could be a great addition to my mic locker. Thats why I asked for opinions here, maybe its a complete crap!

Any opinion will be really apreciated :D

I have been using oktava 319s since they came out in about 1996. they have been used on everything; vocals, acc guitar, stereo and mono overheads, percussion, outside kick drum, you name it! It was the only pair of condensers we had when we first set the studio up. I have been a fan ever since.

I still have the original pair but have bought another one and had it premium modded by michael at oktavamod, which makes it up there with my favourite FET condensers I have heard. It even sounds a little 'valvey' cos it has a kind of midrange presence and thickness like i expect to hear in a valve mic.

So yes, well worth the 100 dollars or so you have to pay for them now, and further down the line get michael joly to mod it into a monster.

I have worked with 319s stock for so long, that I have got used to the big thick warm sound. Something entirely different from chinese condensers. When modified it clears up and focuses the sound a lot. Much more detail. But it seems the capsules are very good without messing about with them. I recommend them all the time. Far far far better than anything you can get in the same price range in my opinion.

Hope this helps

long

319s are great. I have two I've used since 2003. Stock no mods. Male vocals, rooms, acoustics, and some percussion.

Fathead is great too. A pair in stereo acoustics, rooms, 3feet distant mic for electrics, some vocals, drum OH.

That'd be a nice set up. But, if it were me, I'd get two of one of them to use for stereo and drum OH. If you don't need that though, get one of each...even a mis-matched stereo pair sounds nice.

Thanks a lot guys, your opinions have helped me a lot. It seems like a very good mic, maybe not a universal mic since it has a special character, but I already own other mics, so having one that will shine only in some applications inst really a big deal for me.

My only worry is that it could be too dark. My akg is kind of dark sounding, I like it, it has a great level of detail but im worried that 319 may be more of the same (although I know it will be different, Im just talking about the overall impression on the sound)

I don't feel like the 319 is too dark. I recorded a good friend last week using only an AT 4040 and the mk 319 (acoustic & vocal live). It turned out well with minor additional compression and EQ.

I've had two of them, and I did not care for them. I also have three MC012's which I do like. I found the off-axis response off-putting, but to be fair I never used one in total isolation. Maybe in a booth it's better. I've used them on drums, piano and upright bass. I also thought they were a little muddy.

I agree they are on the dark side. For warm but still detailed, I think the MC012 is a better choice. I have used the MC012 for vocals with great results.

Having it modded may be another story. Mine were stock.

I have used 319 for about two years now. I modded it (bought a component kit for it, removed extra screens and the labyrinth on the diagraph, bypassed the switches, added damping inside the body) and it's been my no1 mic ever since. I've been using it with acoustic instruments and vocals, mostly, but lately also with bass drum without hole on the front. It's great!

Not necessarily colored Wally - just good sounding. Hard to explain until you hear it. Just great craftsmanship that you can hear. ;)

Back