Oktava 319

I don't think it's a question of the 319 sounding 'dark' rather a lot of other modern condensers sounding overly bright. I have always thought the 319 was pretty well balanced. It is certainly fat and full. You can eq a bit of air on top. I guess it is a question of relativity!

The pair we bought all those years ago have literally been used on everything, because we had nothing else to use, and still get used today now that we do! They are so well made. They have a real quality sound right off the bat. I have a pair as stock, and one joly mod (which I had on baritone sax last night! sweet lord that sounds so good!!) I am saving up for another joly mod right now.

I agree with moresound that they are 'just good sounding'. you really need to hear them. Once you do you may well be sold on the whole 'russian' sound like I am. No chinese condensers in my studio!!

I don't think you can go wrong. Buy one and use it. I reckon you will love it. Mod it and it will most likely be your go-to mic!

long

Thanks moresound, I had been really busy for a couple of weeks. Seems like no one on this forum has a job! Hahaha theyre always posting no matter what time it is

Well my priority now are Naiants and then Ill get some other mics, probably a ribbon and a condenser

I totally agree with moresound and misterlong. I wouldn't describe the sound coloured. I don't have any expensive quality mics to make comparisons, but this just sounds good. I've been using it for male and female vocals, double bass, violin, acoustic guitars, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, drum overhead, drum room, bass drum, electric guitar and percussion and it has never let me down. Of course, I do use other microphones as well to get variation on the sound palette. My latest aquisition is Golden Age Project R1 active ribbon, which sounds promising.

Add: Check Gary Heffern & Beautiful People on myspace. On those songs you can hear loads of my 319 on almost all vocals and acoustic instruments (Here Comes the Government vocal is SM58).
I was not allowed to post a straight link (under 10 posts) :o

Last edited:
Thanks moresound, I had been really busy for a couple of weeks. Seems like no one on this forum has a job! Hahaha theyre always posting no matter what time it is

I work 24/7 and I should be retired!
I can get on line at most venues, not much to do at hotels and I never sleep. :D

Back