Offset attenuation left and right channels

Paul881

Look Mom, I can play!
Not really a Sonar problem but hey, I know there's enough brain power on this forum to solve my problem.

I have a Delta 66+omni. If I plug my geetar in the left hand (channel 1) I get a 6db attenuation of the right hand channel - the right hand channel is quieter. If I then plug my geetar in the right hand (channel 2), I get an attenuation of 6db to the left hand channel. I have searched for offsets, it even does the same when I just play without Sonar opened up; so its not Sonar.

I recently updated the M-audio driver...could it be the problem?

Are both channels set to the same setting (in the Delta control panel under Hardware Settings - Variable Signal Levels)?

what patchbay settings are you using? wav out? I know sometimes you can get weird levels if using the SPDIF... lastly, __where__ are you seeing this difference? in the delta panel or in SONAR? if in SONAR, make sure your input on your audio track is set to the left or right channel and not stereo or you'll get a bad reading...

gullfo said:
what patchbay settings are you using? wav out? I know sometimes you can get weird levels if using the SPDIF... lastly, __where__ are you seeing this difference? in the delta panel or in SONAR? if in SONAR, make sure your input on your audio track is set to the left or right channel and not stereo or you'll get a bad reading...

As I originally posted, I get it in the M-audio mixer, even with Sonar not open. So it is an M-audio issue, not Sonar.

SPDIF settings are not selected. ;)

Well I now know what the problem is........in the M-Audio mixer, for the inputs, there is no central position for the Pan slider :eek: It jumps from R2 to L2, thereby putting a bias on the left or right hand channel :mad: There is no "central" or "0" position i.e as you slide from right to left it goes R2>L2 whereas it should go R2>0>L2...shouldn't it?:confused:

Am I the only one with this problem? As a work-around, I will bias the channel in Sonar accordingly :rolleyes: What a pain

Paul if you click on the slider and then use your mouse wheel instead of dragging the slider,you should be able to find "0".

acidrock said:
Paul if you click on the slider and then use your mouse wheel instead of dragging the slider,you should be able to find "0".

Many thanks Guy :o

How stupid is that for a design? And I note that as soon as you click on the slider it assumes a value different to 0 :eek:

Yeah, use scroll mouse on the slider, and you'll find <C> between L2 and R2... We all love hiden center, don't we? :D

James Argo said:
Yeah, use scroll mouse on the slider, and you'll find <C> between L2 and R2... We all love hiden center, don't we? :D

HiYA James...long time, no hear :)

What a stupid design...why? :(

Strange thing is, I have never noticed that my sound was off centre before I updated to the latest driver. Now i know that I don't have the greatest set of ears on the planet, but I would have heard this amount of skew before...or at least seen it in my Delta mixer meters...I mean...6db+ is a big attenuation differential.

Maybe the latest driver somehow makes the panning more effective? :confused:

Hi, how've you been, Paul! :)

I too, never heard any difference. But maybe it's because I never touch the pan slider on Delta control panel... Bad interface, I agree! Level and pan are two of most important adjustable instance we should have freedom to control. Let's give 'em a rap! Send a mail...

;)
Jaymz

Back