Noisy monitors

Davenhurst

Word!

I recently bought a pair of Alesis M1Active 520 monitors. Overall I'm really impressed with them, getting some great sound in my ears. The only problem is that they seem to produce a little too much noise, I wouldn't really describe it as "hiss" because it's more mid-rangey. You get me? Even without an audio cable plugged into them, the noise is there. I'm a bit of a newbie, so I'll post this in the newbie section too, but could enyone offer some advice?

I don't know which of the following things matter, but they've all crossed my mind:

--- Use balanced XLR instead of balanced 1/4". Would that make any difference? Does balanced = balanced whatever the cable?

--- I'm running a lot of things off the same power source - laptop, M-Audio Projectmix Firewire interface, external drive, extra monitor, lights, modem, record deck. Actually, maybe I'll play with unplugging some stuff. I'm not using any special sort of plug board, any help?

--- Tried the gain knobs but even at zero the noise is there.

I'm sure there's more, I'll have a think. Any offers?

Ok, took a speaker to another room, plugged it in and still some noise. (No audio cable attached). I should point out - it's really not all that loud, but I have to do a lot of stuff at pretty low volume because of a pain-in-the-ass neighbour, I'd just prefer if it wasn't there. Is it just to be expected with active monitors? Would it help to get a gadget that supplies "clean" power, if such a thing exists?

not to be expected. my actives don't have noises.

power conditioners, "real" power conditioner$$..and strips with only capacitors placed across the receptcle in fancy boxes...and some wall strips protections, filtering... its a science in itself.

there's not much regulation on Marketing BS and hype.

I did read one thread where it was a capacitor in the actives though.Call Alesis Tech support sometimes they are aware of repeating issues.

If your hardcore you could go with your monitors somehwere else and see if it is your AC?
or maybe unplug the refrig and turn off the AC and all motors and compressors in your place?
just an idea.

Is it more a hum, buzz, or hiss? If it's just hiss, maybe you just have the volume on the monitors up to high, and it's just the self noise of the monitors isn't that great.

If it's more of a buzz or hum, you could try an Iso Transformer

RAK said:
Is it more a hum, buzz, or hiss? If it's just hiss, maybe you just have the volume on the monitors up to high, and it's just the self noise of the monitors isn't that great.

Even with volume on zero and no audio cable plugged in and nothing else plugged into the local power source, it's still there.

Actually, I've noticed something else tonight - there's a very quiet noise coming from the left speaker that sounds like a distant wind whistling. Not a steady whistle, not a hiss and not a hum. Imagine the sound of a whistling wind in a horror film. Bit like that. But far away, very quiet. Odd thing is, as I turn the volume control on the speaker to zero, the "wind" sounds like it's getting more forceful. (Stay with me here, this is the best way I can think of describing this sound). Again, with nothing else plugged in. Maybe I'll just send them back, but that's pretty inconvenient right now. I guess it's more inconvenient to work with these problems though. Damn.

Edit: Forgot to say, that whisting sound comes and goes and doesn't seem to coincide with anything else happening. Any ideas?

Well Too me that whistleing sound you describe sounds like RF/EMI Interference (Radio Frequencies/Electro Magnetic interference) which is something that is usually eliminated durring the design stage....

Many Consumer (Non Pro) products will usually skimp on the 10c it costs to implement adequate RF Iterferance dampening methods , Probably because RF/EMI Interferance is generally not a Huge problem in general stereo equipment but for Studio equipment there really should be some RF Interferance dampening....

There isn"t much you can do about RF/EMI interference becides isolateing your equipment from everything that puts off RF/EMI (Florscent lights, Motors,Power stations, Radio towers, wireless Net ect) or Modding your monitors and putting in a few ferrite beads or ferrite chokes but that would Void your warrenty......

I would probably take them back if you can and try another set while your at the store....

Cheers

Back