No sound from Tascam 688

You might want to upload your video unzipped or upload it to YouTube or something and share a link. Most people won’t feel comfortable downloading and extracting a zip file since that’s one way viruses are spread; no judgment, just tying to help.

You might want to upload your video unzipped or upload it to YouTube or something and share a link. Most people won’t feel comfortable downloading and extracting a zip file since that’s one way viruses are spread; no judgment, just tying to help.
No problem at all, i understand.
I'm not able to upload any Mp4 or Mov files, so i linked to the video instead.

Got it.

Okay.

So I’m a little confused. What do you have hooked up to the 688? Like specifically what type of source is connected to what input, and not just which input channel but which jack of what input channel?

How familiar are you with the 688 operation? Are you comfortable with the digital input/source routing matrix?

I just want to rule out these basics first because it’s normal for meters to register when you first turn a device on, and it’s also normal for inputs to be noisy unless they are terminated (have something connected). And I can’t tell what’s really going on in the video because there’s no narration of the issue and your first post just stated there’s “no sound coming out of the mixer”. So what’s hooked up, and how are you trying to listen to it; how do you have the routing matrix configured?

Also, you say you bought the 688 cheap because it “needed repair.” Like, what do you know about what’s wrong with it?

Got it.

Okay.

So I’m a little confused. What do you have hooked up to the 688? Like specifically what type of source is connected to what input, and not just which input channel but which jack of what input channel?

How familiar are you with the 688 operation? Are you comfortable with the digital input/source routing matrix?

I just want to rule out these basics first because it’s normal for meters to register when you first turn a device on, and it’s also normal for inputs to be noisy unless they are terminated (have something connected). And I can’t tell what’s really going on in the video because there’s no narration of the issue and your first post just stated there’s “no sound coming out of the mixer”. So what’s hooked up, and how are you trying to listen to it; how do you have the routing matrix configured?

Also, you say you bought the 688 cheap because it “needed repair.” Like, what do you know about what’s wrong with it?
So I'm completely new to cassette recorders and recording in general.
The seller just told me there was no sound form the mixer, but that all other functions worked.
When i went to grab it he mentioned the things i listed on the previous post. That's all i know.

I thought that i would try and see if i could fix it since there was only that one issue.
Might have been a horrible idea, but i can easliy sell it again for the same price.

The point I’m trying to make is there may be nothing wrong with it, it may just be user error. Do you have the manual? There is a section there that walks you through the settings in order to record and playback a track. Follow those steps to determine if you actually have a problem. The 688 and it’s little sibling the 644 are the most complicated Portastudios just because of the number of features and the digital routing matrix or “Scene Display Panel.” I have a video on my YouTube channel about this…maybe it will help:

Is there any chance the seller didn’t know how to operate the device?

And humming on playback of what? Something you tried to record, or playback of a known good tape?

I picked it up from the sellers studio and there was a lot of audio gear and instruments around, so i'm geussing he knows his stuff.
I think he also mentioned he was the original owner of the 688.
He had a cassette deck which worked with the same tape he tried in the 688.

Back