New to me denon dn-790r loses power!

westgate

ɹǝʎɐld ɹǝpuǝ&#6
This is a first for me for any deck ever.
the past week i've been just listening to the deck. it played very well, sounded great doing it, all play functions/modes seemed to work well, no problemo!

last night i set it up to record. recorded both sides of a maxell type II c90, no problems again. it made a very nice sounding tape.

this am started recording on another tape, a sony type I c60, got halfway thru recording side a and the deck conked out. as in no ac power.
a minute later i switched it on again, it came back on, so i continued recording.

after side a was done, i hit the eject button, power went out again.
waited a few mins, then i was able to turn it on again. continued recording on side b. finished it with no more problems.

as i got got ready to do another tape, it conked out again.
this time no more powering back up. dead as a doornail!
that was a half hour ago, it still won't turn on again.

any ideas as to the cause of this?
and a hopefully easy fix?

thanks!

edit-i have not opened it up yet.

well, i took it out of the rack, tapped on the left side of it near the front and power switch, and it will come back on when i do that. so maybe a dirty switch, loose connection...
as dirty as the cassette well was when i got the thing, it'll be no surprise to have a dirty switch. should have checked stuff like this already. but i've been sick for the last week.

have to clear off my 'work' table so i can open it up and have a looksee.

got it open. definitely the power switch/mechanism.
jiggled the lever that connects it to the switch mechanism a bit, watched front leds, etc light up like a xmas tree and go out just as easily.

seems like a lot of sensitivity in the lever, so i gently pulled it back and forth, and it seems like it snapped back into some position it may have been once before, because now it powers up every time. and off when i turn if off.

fixed? dunno. see how long it lasts.
i'd like to put it back into the rack for use cuz it's a basically primo deck! think i'll wait a day or two first; make sure it keeps working.

Last edited:
It's possible something happened in transit and came loose, broke off etc.... Double check what's going on in there. You did the right thing by opening it up.

It's possible something happened in transit and came loose, broke off etc.... Double check what's going on in there. You did the right thing by opening it up.
forgot to mention before, i squirted a cuppla squirts of contact cleaner into the mech for good measure, worked the switch a bunch of times, then let it sit for an hour.

seems ok now.

Back