new old snare day

Nice score on a killer snare! I'm jealous! For real. Those snare drums kill. I have the deeper model, but I'd like to get my hands on the 5" version too. That sounded gay.

Is that a real chrome over brass, or is it the chromed "Ludalloy"?

lol

It reminds me of my other one (which I loaned to a buddy - no homo) and I was sure that one was ludalloy. But i can't compare them at the moment. This weekend I'll break out the tools and polish cloth and go to town on this 5" model - I'll update with more details

Aww that sucks. Yeah I just noticed it doesn't have the ring going around the shell. So that's just a wrap?

yeah - just a wrap. Over what looks like 6 ply wood (edit: no, 4 ply wood). I'm thinking it's from the early 80's. Sound's pretty good - pics in a minute

Last edited:
I think I had that same snare back in the late 80s/early 90s, but mine had a glittery blue wrap. It had that internal muffling pad thing. Not a bad snare. Mine got stolen. :(

I HATE it when things get stolen - was it like right before or after a gig?

Did you ever use the muffling thing? It was completely corroded stiff in this one - I gradually worked it out and de-rusted the main bolt, then oiled it up and put it back together - works now. I guess I should try it out.

edit - note the wood:
IMG_20140311_102417.jpg

Last edited:
I had a bunch of shit stolen in a house burglary. That snare was one of the items. I was young and had a house on W Gray. It was party central over there all the time. People were always in and out. Everyone knew I kept all my shit in a storage closet space under the stairs. Drums, basses, amps, guitars, everything. One day I was moving out, and my gear was the last load to go because it had been raining. I went back to the house with the truck to get it, and it was all gone. Someone I knew, who knew I was moving and when, busted in there through the back door and took it all. All I had left was a P-Bass and a junky Peavey Basic 50 bass amp that just happened to be in the trunk of my car. To this day I think I know who did it, but I have no proof. Motherfuckers. :mad:

Anyway....no, I never used the muffle thing. It's too heavy handed. Killed the sound too much for me. It either had to be all the way on, or all the way off. If I tried to use it like halfway, it would just slip back down eventually. But back then, you know, there were no moongels or huge selections of heads or anything. I just used the good ol folded pieces of tape thing.

That sucks - not many people in and out of my house these days - but my older daughter is prolly about to move in after college - hope she doesn't throw too many parties. I'm totally paranoid - cameras and motion detectors everywhere. Seems like they're not much good except for making cool videos of people stealing my bike(s).

And - here's some sound samples - I still need to learn now to play, and I was totally lazy - just holding the mic in place instead of using a mic stand - the first set (w snare no muff, w snare muff, no snare no muff, no snare muff) is dry and the second is with some compression:

So, looking at ebay, I guess $45 is still really a good price, just not a bank robbery like it would be if this were a better model. It'll help me pimp out more when drummers come over (having a range of snares makes me feel like a playah), and when my kit travels for live stuff, I'm thinking this will be the snare, rather than the Supraphonic (whenever I get it back)

edit: I'm now fairly certain this the "S/L" snare from the early 80's. After the "standard" line and before the "rocker" line. Not that I know what any of that means.

Last edited:
Hey that thing doesn't sound too bad. Sounds like the bounce is a little dull. Get some new heads on it and you'll have a nice new bullet for the gun.

Back