New guitar for Greg - Kapow! (lots of pics and review)

Year: 1975 (Circa)
Manufacturer: Guyatone
Model: Mosrite Ventures Copy
I was only able to find one reference on the net to my fella. I love the pick guard too!
It has the advantage/disadvantaged of having been modded. the hummer is good because it drive a tube amp a little faster into breakup (& it's the only hummer I have on a solid body), but I have been looking for an original replacement bridge pickup that doesn't cost more than the guitar.(it was a gift but bought from Rinkya in Japan before most of the world discovered Rinkya's quirks and cheap prices for MIJs).
Not sure that it really is a Ventures copy model even though it matched the photo I found. I couldn't find a Snap of the Ventures with a scratch playe like it.

Last edited:
itss...its.,....its...surfish music

maybe you need some old KRK's from Surf City to mix on?

maybe some more echo...and cowbell

Attachments

• surf city.png
    surf city.png
    570.5 KB · Views: 45
Sounds good to me. Nice sparkle/squeak harmonics on the chord changes in the muted bit. I'm sure you'll find lots more tasty flavors.

Hallmark 60 Custom bridge p/u > Marshall JVM410 > Avatar 2x12 Vintage 30 > SM57 on grill halfway to edge. No EQ or processing in DAW.
OD 1 Channel - green mode
Gain - 4
Bass - 7
Mid - 5
Treb - 7
Pres - 5
Resonance - 0
Channel vol - 5
Master vol - 6
Not nearly bright enough. Lol (at the last 5 mp3s I've posted here, that is) - I concur with the other posts about less treble and less gain - but the muted part sounded so awesome that I can see how it would drive your eq choices if it did. In my own struggles, I'm starting to use an OD pedal a little more, but still mostly go dry and I'm getting cleaner and cleaner with it.

Sweet guitar!!! I've got a mutt sg clone with P-94s in it (originally had crappy humbuckers), and I keep picking at them because I really like the sound, but want more versatility in the volume and tone knob. What happens to the Hallmark tone when you turn the guitar volume down? Does the treble go with it (I mean, in a bad way)? That was abundantly true with my P-94s, but they were so hot that I felt like I had to turn them down a little. Most recently, I added a "bright bleed" mod that has taken care of that problem, but now I'm having bass difficulties.

Anyway - kickass!! I love stories about small makers making great stuff.

Not nearly bright enough. Lol (at the last 5 mp3s I've posted here, that is) - I concur with the other posts about less treble and less gain - but the muted part sounded so awesome that I can see how it would drive your eq choices if it did. In my own struggles, I'm starting to use an OD pedal a little more, but still mostly go dry and I'm getting cleaner and cleaner with it.

Sweet guitar!!! I've got a mutt sg clone with P-94s in it (originally had crappy humbuckers), and I keep picking at them because I really like the sound, but want more versatility in the volume and tone knob. What happens to the Hallmark tone when you turn the guitar volume down? Does the treble go with it (I mean, in a bad way)? That was abundantly true with my P-94s, but they were so hot that I felt like I had to turn them down a little. Most recently, I added a "bright bleed" mod that has taken care of that problem, but now I'm having bass difficulties.

Anyway - kickass!! I love stories about small makers making great stuff.

Thanks a lot.

The volume knob....it doesn't seem to do a whole lot. It changes the output some, but not significantly. With the amp set clean, rolling the vol back seems to affect the sound more than it does with a lot of gain. I don't ever use the vol knob for anything but an on/off switch, so my experience with vol knob subtleties are limited at best, but it seems to work backwards than what I think the norm is. For example, on this guitar with the amp set clean, rolling the guitar vol back does reduce the heat a little, but not much, and the sound tightens up and the treble seems to be enhanced. It loses it's fatness without losing much, if any, high end. My Strat is the complete opposite. Rolling the vol back on the Strat significantly loses high end and bite. But on the Hallmark you can go from full volume to almost none and the sound change is minimal until there's no sound at all. I don't know if that's good or bad, it is what it is. With the amp set for some gain, rolling the vol back on the Hallmark doesn't do much good. It kind of tightens up a little, but doesn't change much. With the LP and the amp set for gain, rolling the guitar vol back yields significant changes. I can set the amp to kill, and roll the guitar vol way back and still get a real clean sound on the LP. I've still got a lot of R&D to do with the Hallmark. The single coils in the Hallmark seem to be very fat and hot, yet it's much less noisy than my Strat.

some gits'll have a resistor (I think ) wired in the circuit is a way that prevents the loss of highs when you roll off the volume.
I have that in that strat APL assembled for me and I think my stinnett has it too. I've never bothered to look up the circuit since I don't really use volume knobs but it's pretty easy to add so perhaps the Hallmark has it.

some gits'll have a resistor (I think ) wired in the circuit is a way that prevents the loss of highs when you roll off the volume.
I have that in that strat APL assembled for me and I think my stinnett has it too. I've never bothered to look up the circuit since I don't really use volume knobs but it's pretty easy to add so perhaps the Hallmark has it.
Yup - that's the mod I'm talking about. The resistor is wired into the volume pot. Different valued resistors have a different effect, of course, and I think I may have overdone (or underdone?) it with my guitar. Maybe the Hallmark has one. Greg, I think keeping the tone neutral across the sweep of the volume pot is a great thing - that's where I want to be.

Yeah I don't know what this has in it. I'll have to send Mr Shade an email and see what's up. I'll put up some clips with different vol knob settings later. It's definitely a unique sounding guitar. The neck pickup is big and boisterous. I bet I could record a clean clip with the neck pickup and some reverb and tell everyone it's a Gretsch and they'd probably believe it. I've never played solid body guitar that sounds this big with the amp clean.

Holy freakin' glitter Gregman!!! Nice guitar. Why is that neck pickup on an angle? Is that aesthetics? Or is it functional? Maybe that's been asked already? I skipped most of the thread. In any case. Nice grab Mr.

Holy freakin' glitter Gregman!!! Nice guitar. Why is that neck pickup on an angle? Is that aesthetics? Or is it functional? Maybe that's been asked already? I skipped most of the thread. In any case. Nice grab Mr.

Thanks. That's a standard Mosrite design, and I'm not sure why they did it that way. The neck pickup does have a much mellower sound on the high strings, which makes sense since it's angled that way.

Thanks. That's a standard Mosrite design, and I'm not sure why they did it that way. The neck pickup does have a much mellower sound on the high strings, which makes sense since it's angled that way.
yeah .. I'm sure cosmetics had a role but angling the p'up that way allows it to pick up the bass strings at a tighter slightly more trebly section of the strings while the smaller strings get picked up farther out where it's a bit looser and mellower.

Probably the same reason a strat or tele bridge p'up is angled.

Damn sweet guitar, Greg! I was in a band many years ago where the other guitarist had a Mosrite, it was a nice guitar but your new guitar blows is away.
A guitar with P-90 pickups and the set neck construction are a great addition to your guitar harem.:cool:

Damn sweet guitar, Greg! I was in a band many years ago where the other guitarist had a Mosrite, it was a nice guitar but your new guitar blows is away.
A guitar with P-90 pickups and the set neck construction are a great addition to your guitar harem.:cool:

Thanks man. This aint no P-90 though. I still haven't spec'd out these pickups from the maker himself, but online research and other testimonials confirm what I'm finding on my own - these things are hot! Thick, meaty, hot, almost humbucker like. The lows and mids that come out of the bridge pickup are unreal. They're thicker and hotter than any P-90 I've been around and my Strat has committed suicide. I'm gonna lower the pickup some to see if that tames the sound when the amp gain is higher.

I love the color and sparkle finish. One of the first guitars I ever lusted after was a 12 string electric ventures sig model mosrite....in lake placid blue metallic. It was displayed in the window of the local music store when I was a kid back in the 1960's.
Everytime we went to town I would walk up to that window and gawk at that guitar. I wanted it so bad!
Congrats on scoring a very cool retro guitar.

Back