New guitar for Greg - Kapow! (lots of pics and review)

no, no NO!!!

Sacrilege to alter those guitars .... sacrilege I say!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Lol. My wheels are already turning! I still haven't seriously tried it yet, but I don't know how this thing is gonna sound loud with a lot of gain. I love the clean sound, but these single coils are mongo FAT! They're hot and fat and thick and they don't really clean up much by rolling the volume back. As a contingency plan, I'm thinking a real P-90 or original Mosrite pickup might be worth a try.

I imagine with a humbucker it would generally sound pretty much like any humbucking solid body guitar. Some differences, of course. Just guessing. I'm sure it would lose all of it's clean plonky surf goodness, but it's high gain tone would probably be better.
did you miss where I said NO?

Anyone that wants a 'bucker guitar needs to buy a 'bucker guitar.
The fires of HELL should rain down on anyone that alters so much as a molecule of those beautiful guitars.

It's not like you don't have an awesome paul.

:mad:

and how can it be that you haven't tried it cranked?
Go in the other room and turn it up ....... now I say!

:D

Give an email to the maker of your guitar and ask his advice.

I will if I get to that point. I haven't even really tried it yet. I'm not at all unhappy, I just want to make sure. I'm not opposed to swapping the bridge pickup if that's what I have to do.

did you miss where I said NO?

Anyone that wants a 'bucker guitar needs to buy a 'bucker guitar.
The fires of HELL should rain down on anyone that alters so much as a molecule of those beautiful guitars.

It's not like you don't have an awesome paul.

:mad:

Lol. I know! I get it! I'll never put a humbucker in it. Ever. I would put a real Mosrite single-coil pickup in it though if it comes to that.

I will if I get to that point. I haven't even really tried it yet. I'm not at all unhappy, I just want to make sure. I'm not opposed to swapping the bridge pickup if that's what I have to do.
DAMMIT!!!

LISTEN TO ME ......... NO MEANS NO!!!!

:laughings:

Lol. I know! I get it! I'll never put a humbucker in it. Ever. I would put a real Mosrite single-coil pickup in it though if it comes to that.
ok ..... being serious for a second ...... it would seem to me that since he obviously took such care to truly replicate the Mosrite he would have also tried to replicate the pickups.
I'm bettin' if you ask him he'll tell you that he made sure those p'ups sound just like a Mosrite p'up.

ok ..... being serious for a second ...... it would seem to me that since he obviously took such care to truly replicate the Mosrite he would have also tried to replicate the pickups.
I'm bettin' if you ask him he'll tell you that he made sure those p'ups sound just like a Mosrite p'up.

You're probably right and I agree. I'm not changing anything yet. I haven't even tried it out. I don't want to change anything. It's awesome. I'm just thinking about backup plans.

You're probably right and I agree. I'm not changing anything yet. I haven't even tried it out. I don't want to change anything. It's awesome. I'm just thinking about backup plans.
I doubt ya' don't need any ...... this is a prediction from Lt. Bob ..... it's gonna suprise the crap outta ya' how good it sounds gained up.

It's gonna sing ...... it'll have the big fat sound of a 'bucker but with just enough added top end that you don't get any of the mushiness that you get with 'buckers.
It's gonna have all kinds of harmonics that will give it more clarity but still have the power you need for a power chord.

That's my prediction anyway ...... I hope I'm exactly right since that will add to the legend of teh boob!

:D

Okay here's my very first attempt at higher gain with the new guitar and new amp butchering an old Who song. I'm not crazy about the tone, but I don't hate it. I like the midrange. I like how it settles down when palm muted. It's a little muddy but that's gotta be more mic placement as it was pretty bright in the room. I think a little less gain would be good and/or better mic placement and post EQ. I think I could use this and I'm okay with it for a first run with new stuff.

The Kids Are All Gay

Hallmark 60 Custom bridge p/u > Marshall JVM410 > Avatar 2x12 Vintage 30 > SM57 on grill halfway to edge. No EQ or processing in DAW.
OD 1 Channel - green mode
Gain - 4
Bass - 7
Mid - 5
Treb - 7
Pres - 5
Resonance - 0
Channel vol - 5
Master vol - 6

Okay here's my very first attempt at higher gain with the new guitar and new amp butchering an old Who song. I'm not crazy about the tone, but I don't hate it. I like the midrange. I like how it settles down when palm muted. It's a little muddy but that's gotta be more mic placement as it was pretty bright in the room. I think a little less gain would be good and/or better mic placement and post EQ. I think I could use this and I'm okay with it for a first run with new stuff.

The Kids Are All Gay

Hallmark 60 Custom bridge p/u > Marshall JVM410 > Avatar 2x12 Vintage 30 > SM57 on grill halfway to edge. No EQ or processing in DAW.
OD 1 Channel - green mode
Gain - 4
Bass - 7
Mid - 5
Treb - 7
Pres - 5
Resonance - 0
Channel vol - 5
Master vol - 6

Sounds good fella, maybe ease up a wee bit with the treble on the beast for my ears, other than that me likee. :)

Cool thanks. Noted.

When we gonna hear that Class 5? :)

Very soon, had to cancel the recording at the weekend, was hoping to get something up this week but gonna have a house full of peeps that have came for my buddies funeral.

Tried Studio One yesterday, meh, back to Reaper, I'll get something up early next week. :)

Very soon, had to cancel the recording at the weekend, was hoping to get something up this week but gonna have a house full of peeps that have came for my buddies funeral.

Tried Studio One yesterday, meh, back to Reaper, I'll get something up early next week. :)

Yeah, again, sorry about your buddy.

Do you remember Rory from here, then A&A? He used to use Studio One, and I swear, he's the only guy I've ever personally heard of using it. I've never tried it myself, but I don't ever see myself leaving Reaper. I've been using it since 07 and have never even thought of any other DAW.

Back