New guitar for Greg - Kapow! (lots of pics and review)

Greg_L

Banned
I've been wanting a Mosrite for as long as I've been able to halfassedly play a guitar. The simple truth is that they're too rare and too expensive for me to feel good about buying one. And as cool as they are, the skinny, bolt-on necks and questionable build quality kept them in the maybe-one-day-but-probably-not category.

So I started researching the many Mosrite clones out there, and came across a small guitar company from the 60's that's since been resurrected.
Hallmark Guitars

Very cool stuff. The 60 Custom especially caught my eye. A gorgeous Mosrite Ventures style guitar with all the bad things, in my opinion, about a real Mosrite fixed into good. A Mosrite with a set neck, Gibson-like scale length, binding, etc. Awesome. I then ran around the net looking for reviews and found nothing but good things, so I emailed the owner, Bob Shade. He responded almost immediately and after about 20 email exchanges, all of which he responded to quickly and with all of my questions answered, I pulled the trigger. He didn't have any guitars ready, but was working up a batch, so he got me in there. This was Jan 4, 2013. He said 6-8 weeks. No prob. I waited patiently. Fast forward to saturday morning, Mar 2, 2013, the guitar was at my door in it's alligator case. Right on time, as promised, as scheduled. It's visually flawless. :guitar:

$1038 bucks to my door w/ case. Bob Shade at Hallmark Guitars was very open, professional, and quick to answer any questions I had. If you're considering a new guitar and want something a little different but with great attention to detail and value, check out Hallmark Guitars.

And it plays even better than it looks. Fast and smooth. The build quality and fit and finish seems to be extraordinary. It's got a fast, low-action setup, and the rosewood fretboard has a tight grain so it actually kind of feels like ebony. The neck profile is slim and comfortable and the binding is clean, smooth, and flawless. The medium-sized frets are smooth and dressed perfectly. I've seen countless Gibsons that cost twice as much with way shittier necks than this one. Upper fret access is very easy and nonrestrictive on par with an SG. The vintage style trem, roller bridge, and zero-fret with no stupid nut means that I can surf wiggle the wang bar into oblivion and it stays in perfect tune. I haven't really blasted it yet through the Marshalls, but my first impression is that the single coils are pretty hot and midrangey and tonally fall somewhere between the bite and twang of a Strat/Tele and the fatness of a humbucker. Similar to P-90s. The paint is just amazing. I can't even begin to describe how deep and sparkly this thing is. The body and headstock are pure Mosrite. Of the many Mosrite clones out there, these are definitely the most aesthetically accurate by my estimation. A Mosrite clone with all the little visual details of a real Mosrite, but with a set neck and shorter scale just like I'd build for myself if I knew how to build a guitar. Lol. Check it out....:thumbs up:

20130302_095027_zps9b3b7b6c.jpg

20130303_090541_zpsda21701b.jpg

20130302_184757_zps4d1738ca.jpg

Untitled-2-1_zps85d3e323.jpg

DSC_0634_zpsbad7b125.jpg

Untitled-9_zps9e0cfbd7.jpg

Untitled-4_zpsa83bb6b7.jpg

Untitled-6_zpsf8f8099d.jpg

Woohoo!

Lol, nice one, Greg. I thought you had a Mosrite in the post - looks like you got something even better. Was the finish your choice - what made you go for the green?

That looks f'in awesome! Had a look through the other guitars on the site. The 59 custom would've been my choice I think but that is a fantastic looking guitar. The colour tones and sparkle look great in the photo's but I bet it looks much better in person.

A very nice buy. Look forward to hearing it :D

Lol, nice one, Greg. I thought you had a Mosrite in the post - looks like you got something even better. Was the finish your choice - what made you go for the green?

Thanks. I don't know, I just really like the gold to green. I was looking through their finishes, and this one just resonated with me for whatever reason. There's another finish that goes gold to red, which I strongly considered, but I've never had a green guitar before, and I just like it. :) This one is called "Sunset Sparkle" or something like that.

That looks f'in awesome! Had a look through the other guitars on the site. The 59 custom would've been my choice I think but that is a fantastic looking guitar. The colour tones and sparkle look great in the photo's but I bet it looks much better in person.

A very nice buy. Look forward to hearing it :D

Thanks, yeah the 59 is sweet too. I especially like the "mute" and sidejack on the 59, but the 60 just wowed me.

O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o Sunset Sparkle!

Nice Greg. How's the tremolo bar working for ya?

Can't wait to hear some clips.

Sucker looks gorgeous!!! It looks like the fit and finish are excellent. Love the tiny dots on the fretboard and the machining on the metal parts. Not that I ever would, but, would humbuckers be a drop in replacement?

I hate that finish but I understand why you love it.

Congrats, I hope I can test drive one of those someday.

Nice one Daddy-O
Thanks. :D
O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o Sunset Sparkle!

Nice Greg. How's the tremolo bar working for ya?

Can't wait to hear some clips.
Works great so far! Stays in tune, which is light years better than my gay Strat, which will probably never see the light of day again!.

Sucker looks gorgeous!!! It looks like the fit and finish are excellent. Love the tiny dots on the fretboard and the machining on the metal parts. Not that I ever would, but, would humbuckers be a drop in replacement?

I hate that finish but I understand why you love it.

Congrats, I hope I can test drive one of those someday.
Thanks. I suppose a humbucker would fit, I don't know what the cavity looks like, though I'd never stoop to that level with this guitar. Humbuckers don't surf. Lol. If I were ever to replace these pickups, I'd probably try to find an original or NOS Mosrite pickup for it.

Congrats mang!!

Beautiful guitar ..... anyone wanna buy a Mark V combo?

:D

Thanks Boob! I know you have lots of guitars, but I can totally see you with one of these. :D

Thanks Boob! I know you have lots of guitars, but I can totally see you with one of these. :D
yeah, I want one ..... the mind's working on finding a way!

I'd go for the fire sparkle I think although I might would go for the original looking blue or red just to be a bit more original looking ... in which case I think the red but maybe the blue ....... well shit, seems like I need three of them!

yeah, I want one ..... the mind's working on finding a way!

I'd go for the fire sparkle I think although I might would go for the original looking blue or red just to be a bit more original looking ... in which case I think the red but maybe the blue ....... well shit, seems like I need three of them!

I know you and I talked about this before. The sparkle bursts were definitely my A and B choices, with the candy red and blue right behind. Those 4 looked the best to me.

It's physically kind of a big guitar. Not excessively so, and it doesn't feel big when you're standing with it, but it is bigger and longer than my Strat or LP.

20130304_091814_zpsdee6544f.jpg

Thats an interesting find. Will forward that hallmark company to my 22yr old son, (who somehow became a big Ventures fan, idk how that happened?). Hes been buying and vybing the old vinyls and learning the style playing....I find that very cool.
Obviously gear-lusting for a Mosrite ...Hallmark appears to have done a great job.

Thats an interesting find. Will forward that hallmark company to my 22yr old son, (who somehow became a big Ventures fan, idk how that happened?). Hes been buying and vybing the old vinyls and learning the style playing....I find that very cool.
Obviously gear-lusting for a Mosrite ...Hallmark appears to have done a great job.

While I don't often write or play straight up surf music, I do love The Ventures and that style occasionally seeps into my original stuff.

Tell your son to check out Man or Astroman. They're some really cool surf-punk madness.

That's George Jetson's guitar! So sixties sci-fi. Way cool.

I figured Mosrite was yer choice but I didn't expect a clone. A good decision I think. Looks sweet.

That's George Jetson's guitar! So sixties sci-fi. Way cool.

I figured Mosrite was yer choice but I didn't expect a clone. A good decision I think. Looks sweet.
Haha, I do love The Jetsons. Thanks. Yeah I'm real happy with it so far. Like I said, I feel that it's everything good about a real Mosrite, and everything that's bad about real Mosrites has been fixed.

Awesome pics, keep posting. And congratulations on your new beast of an amp :)

Thanks. Gonna fire it up right now........

Back