Need Help with an Apartment/Portable Set up

Acousticles

Student Loans Fund Rawk
I've been doing some ammount of recording for the past two years. A buddy of mine and I made two albums using nothing more than our guitars (Direct out into preamps then into computer), a Shure PG58 (for vocals), an acoustic guitar amp (on the first album), a Peavey powered mixer (on the second album), a variety of effects pedals, and Audacity.

Now that was fine to get our ideas down on listenable (a matter of opinion I suppose =P) tracks. My buddy is fine with this style, but I, however, am interested in more.

Mostly I'll be recording my own tracks with instruments including acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, banjo, mandolin, piano, dulcimer, congas, and a full trap set. Now I understand that to collect the equipment to record all of these well will take time...but, I at least want to start small and give myself the ability to record acoustic guitar and vocals while I'm at school. This is gear list of sorts thus far:

Gear I have:
- Laptop with Reaper, ACID, Audacity, FL Studio, and Adobe Audition
- Peavey Powered Mixer (More for live PA system, only 1 Main send)
- AKG Perception 200
- Shure PG58
- MoreMe Headphones (for tracking)
* Just been adapting a 1/4" cable to an 1/8" and going into the stock soundcard on my laptop...this probably makes most of you cringe, haha but I've worked with what I had so far

Gear I think I should get Now (Criticisms and Suggestions More than Welcome)
- Some sort of MIDI control surface (old ebay keyboard)
- Preamps (ART Tube?)
- Firewire interface (Leaning towards Mackie Onyx Satellite)
- Monitors (When I can afford some...suggestions for around $100?)
- 2 SM57's

Gear I think I should get eventually:
- Mixing board (Behringer UB802 or 1204 maybe)
- PCI Soundcard (m-Audio Delta 1010lt)

Mostly I'm a beginner who has some experience, had a small taste of the music recording and producing process and wants as much more as I can get...I'm just a little lost on where to start. I know after reading through these boards that there are many extremely talented and knowledgeable individuals who post here and I hope to tap some of you for assistance. Thanks for reading all the way to here if you made it..haha, hope to get any sort of feedback soon!

If you get the Mackie Satellite, you won't need the ART pre. That would be redundant. You also won't need a mixer. That would also be redundant.

For monitors in the 100 buck range, I would think you would be better off with a good set of headphones.

These are just my opinions. Others will disagree.

If you get the Mackie Satellite, you won't need the ART pre. That would be redundant. You also won't need a mixer. That would also be redundant.

For monitors in the 100 buck range, I would think you would be better off with a good set of headphones.

These are just my opinions. Others will disagree.
Also, if you get a firewire interface, you don't really need to get a new sound card. I'd get one or the other.

Right right I know:

For the preamp...I've heard that the Onyx only gives about 38v instead of 48v with phantom power; so, if needed I was thinking about picking up one of the cheap ($30) ART Tube preamps. Any opinions on those?

And the mixer + soundcard deal is just an idea for the future/next summer when I'm back around my trap set and looking for some more inputs :)

Thanks for the input guys!

Right right I know:

For the preamp...I've heard that the Onyx only gives about 38v instead of 48v with phantom power; so, if needed I was thinking about picking up one of the cheap ($30) ART Tube preamps. Any opinions on those?

And the mixer + soundcard deal is just an idea for the future/next summer when I'm back around my trap set and looking for some more inputs :)

Thanks for the input guys!

Not true about the phantom power thing. Onyx is global 48v.

Back