Need a little help with my peavey windsor

zakk1919

I am doing some modding to my peavey windsor but i have run into one spot i dont understand from the schematics i am using.

I am supposed to Add 1nF cap from VR1 "w" to VR1 "h" ..vr1 is the preamp volume pot but i am not sure which points to hook to since there is 4 and the are not marked?

Any help would be awesome!!preampmod.jpg

Can you post a close-up photo of the inside of the amp, showing the pot?

Generally, a single pot would have 3 connections with w (wiper) in the centre.

PRHunt, Thank you very much for your reply on this situation,but it seems I jumped the gun a bit.Upon further inspection I realized that one of the connections was not connected to a trace.So there was H W L then an extra tab that was soldered to the board but not into any traces.Like I said before thanks a lot, and if you still want a pic. just for the hell of it I will send you one?

What you are doing is adding a 'bright' cap across the volume control. It'll make it ...... well, bright and 'fizzy' at less than '10' on the volume control. Personally, I remove bright caps every chance I get, but to each his own. One tab of the control will be grounded, so you want to solder the capacitor to the other two tabs. You can verify which tab is ground by either using an ohmmeter, or just knowing after you've done this a million times.
There is already at least one treble 'peaking' circuit leading up to the 'Pre Gain' control, so 'more bright' may be too much.

Photo not needed if you have identified your connections! That extra tab might just for be for extra mechanical stability. If the "bright" cap is not to taste, then it can easily be removed. Have fun with the mods!

You said there is already one bright cap leading up to the pre gain i was wondering which it was and can it be removed to make it less bright. i have noticed it is quite bright without the cap across the vr1 already so i would like to bring it down a bit more if i can? thanks again man

Remember, this is all just my opinion, and my tastes may not be similar to any sane or rational person, real or imagined. Anyway, here is the preamp;

peavey_windsor.jpg

What I've circled in red are the treble peaking circuits. Also, circled in blue can be considered a treble peaking circuit. It's the cathode bypass capacitor, and the low end cut off is determined by f = 1/2Πrc. Now with a 2700Ω cathode resistor, and a .68uF bypass capacitor, the boost happens above maybe 220Hz, or the 'A' note at the 2nd fret G string. Or maybe lower, this is just quick math after a few beer in me. Anyway, you can remove the .68uF capacitor, and lower the gain a little especially in the top end. Ditto for the 470pF capacitors in the real treble peaking circuits.
The gain will go down very slightly, but all in the top end. Remove the three capacitors, and if you miss the gain, there are ways to get it back, but over a wider frequency response. I have a hunch you'll like the amp without at least one of these capacitors, and more likely two of them can go and you won't mind at all. Well, it depends on your guitar, and the tone you want to hear. Again just my opinion. But try it.

Back