Need help settings levels on iZ RADAR Nyquist

Mad John

Hello everyone,

Been a long time RADAR user (2005.)

I first had a RADAR Classic until last year and I loved it so much. Then I upgraded finally to the Nyquist.

I had to take a couple years off during 2020 for family reasons. Now I am trying to run my recording studio up again.

I noticed the outputs to my RADAR sounded low, so I raised it up, but I kept changing values for Input and Output, to the point that I could not figure out where the ultimate headroom would be.

My mixes are way too hot and distorted.

I am not using any digital system, except for the RADAR and my Tascam 2 channel mix down deck.

I run analog outs to my Trident 65 mixer, then buss out to Manley MU to 2 track. In the past this worked out great, but now (I am dyslexic) , I am so mixed up with the number values in connection to headroom values.

Can someone explain how I can get the most full output volume from the RADAR to my console with the most headroom? Same with input. I mean I always set my levels well from outboard preamps to RADAR for recording, but I want to make sure I have ample headroom, both with input/output levels.

Here is what RADAR explains in their manual, but I do not understand the headroom values.

Manley:
Setting RADARâ
’s analog audio input and output levels can be done by setting the level in dBu at which
RADARâ will reach full scale (0 dBFS), or by setting the level in dBFS that a 0 VU (+4dBu) signal will
meter on RADARâ
’s meterbridge. The ANALOG I/O LEVEL dialog in the I/O MENU, will have a prompt
of either 0 DBFS or +4 DBU as the reference.
Choosing a reference of 0 DBFS will display a prompt for setting the full scale input and output levels (0
dBFS), as a dBu value between +18 and +24 dBu.
Choosing a reference of +4 DBU will display a prompt for setting where a signal at +4dBu will register on
RADARâ
’s meters in dBFS. This will be a value between -14 and -20 dBFS. This value is commonly
referred to as headroom.

Which value gives you more headroom? -14 vs -20 dBFS?

I am going nuts trying to balance my RADAR input/outputs.

Last thing. I noticed I could not get my RADAR controller screen to match the monitor screen I have hooked up to the RADAR. One was hotter in the meters than the other.

Back