my Tascam 38 has issues! Help!

nathan barsness

I recently bought a Tascam 38 and when I got it home I tested it by recording a tone on each track seperately and playing them back. I found that in Input mode a few of the tracks would record fine, but the VU would not show anything. then in Repro mode tracks 3-8 work great and show on the VU. Track 2 plays incredibly quietly and track 1 doesn't play back at all. However, I put it in sync mode and recorded on every track and they all came back fine...but, today I was listening back to some stuff and in sync mode, tracks 1 and 4 don't play back! although in repro mode 1 and 2 still don't.
Does anyone know what's going on here? How to fix it maybe? Thanks!

I had the same problem with one of the channels on my 38... Try taking the back panel off, disconnecting the channels, cleaning the connectors...the bad thing about this model is that the cards aren't soldered in....dioxide or anything similar should fix the problem. Hope that helps.

It's a good idea to calibrate and align it. I would suggest this anytime you buy a used machine.

good advice

2 things:
how do I know which are the channels?
how do you calibrate the machine?

I have no manual, so that's out. maybe someone could "walk me through it" in some basic way.
I understand how to align the machine, but have no test tapes, oscilliscope etc. i realize that alignment is always a good thing, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem at hand. (well, something to do with it, but not with VU meters not showing anything or track 4 on sync not playing anything.)
maybe someone has a manual too? or knows where to get test tapes??
thanks people!

wow, a smug answer.
Incorrect.

Nor was it an "answer".

It was note of minimum requirement.
To be able to performtrouble shoting, electronic repair if needed and/or electronic maintenance of a device like Tascam 38 - having service manual and actually reading through it IS a minimum requirement. (JUST! minimum)
Speaking of skipping,

Of course, you can just open up the machine and shake thing that look shakable and hope for a luck.
The problem is, that people who may know what to shake and what not will rather skip taking responsibility for the potential consequence, that will ultimately lay on their shoulders by encouraging or just passively participating in your "adventure", especially knowing, that having and reading a manual is too inconvenient for you.

Now, - the above is "smug"! So, we're even :D

I could have just skipped posting.
And so could I.

/later

wow, a smug answer. I could have just skipped posting.

..or you could have just thanked him for genuinely trying to help you, as was his intention. Dr. Zee's recommendation was dead on, to get the manual, which IS the first thing you should do (as 'minimum' requirement). It outlines everything about the machine and has everything you need and need to know about alignment / calibration. You can either get it on eBay or call TASCAM direct, (323) 727-4840 from Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific Time.

An alternative, which you may want to opt for, especially that your machine may have more significant issues, ones which may not be solved by a typical alignment and that you may feel more comfortable with, is actually getting in touch with a competent tech:
http://www.tascam.com/service.php?que=go;33,2025&type=html

If, on the other hand, you want to do it yourself, you first need to invest in the manual and then in the other items, required to do an alignment and to trouble shoot.

----

Back