My "redone" Down in a hole" cover.

Listening now. Not a bad effort. But it lacks definition. And the vocals seems too distant to me, recording/mix-wise. The recording/mix has much to go for. Your voice ain't bad at all. Hard to tell you where to start to get that recording/mix better. Are you using a compressor? Are you using a dynamic mic for recording the vocals?

Last edited:
Dawg, the recording was done like 3 months ago. I just finally had some time to finish it. I chose this song because I plan on adding harmonies to my songs and this is a good way to learn. So in answer, not right now.

Emusic: Recorded in my dining room, not a sound studio so I suspect that has something to do with it. I used the equipment in my siggy.

At least no one's complained about the guitars. That was the biggest complaint before.

The mix could really use some punch all around. The drums are kind of small just riding it out in the background. The one distorted guitar off to the side is a little distracting. I would double track it or at least pan a verb or something off to the other side to keep it from being one sided. The real version of this song is loaded with layered guitars. I know it would be impossible to pick out every single one and play it but I would at least double the distorted stuff under the "Down in A hole" parts. The vocals were pretty good, my only complaint is that they were almost to clean for Chains type vocals. Layne always sounded really stressed to me on this album. Cool cover, should be really nice if you can work out some of the mix issues.

I liked it..... But, I agree w/ Wireneck... it lacked "punch".... what was the tempo?? IT sounded like if you bumped the BPM up 2 or 3, and turned up the drums a touch, it would get punchier.

Good treatment on the vocals, in my opinion....

Nice playing too....

Good job!!!

Thanks for the advice.

How do I make it more "punchy??" The tempo is dead on par with the original.

As for the guitars, I might have flubbed up the mix but I fix that no problem. The drums - how do I fix that?! It's one track. I guess I could run an EQ on it to try and get it sounding better.

I'm gonna re-record the lead vocal to see if I can get more of a true Layne sound. When I first recorded it, I wasn't pushing as hard as I could.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.

PS: As far as the harmonies go, what do you think?

Very good job dude! Not an easy song and I think you did it good! :)

My comments:

The distorted guitar comes in a touch too loud in the intro and fades out too quick.

Needs a little more crash volume, OH need up a bit?

Distorted rythm guitar needs a little widening maybe.

I really think you did a good job and I can see that you put a lot of work into it. I am just comparing to the actual mix of the actual song. As asked, do you have any original work?

PS

I think the harmonies were done good! Hoah!

It sounds pretty good. If I wanted to post a cover tune how would I go about getting permission from the owner? Also how much are the royalties that you are required to pay the song owner?

ocnor said:
It sounds pretty good. If I wanted to post a cover tune how would I go about getting permission from the owner? Also how much are the royalties that you are required to pay the song owner?

I covered a Death song. I asked the singers (hes pasted away) mom if I could post it up. She said its all good if I didn't sell it. Or claim it to be mine.

Go here, https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=149383 some good N.T.K.'s in that.

ocnor said:

Only if you sell it. If you make it for your own enjoyment and do not sell copies, you are not required to pay royalties.

13th_Omen said:
Very good job dude! Not an easy song and I think you did it good! :)

My comments:

The distorted guitar comes in a touch too loud in the intro and fades out too quick.

Needs a little more crash volume, OH need up a bit?

Distorted rythm guitar needs a little widening maybe.

I really think you did a good job and I can see that you put a lot of work into it. I am just comparing to the actual mix of the actual song. As asked, do you have any original work?

PS

I think the harmonies were done good! Hoah!

Thanks for the feedback. If it's raining this weekend I am going to redo the lead vocal and even out the guitars a bit more. I'll fix the outtro acoustic too. Just realized how crappy it sounds.

I was wondering who had ressurected this thread? Silver, it sounded good on my pc speakers. I will give you another listen on my monitors later on if you haven't put this to bed yet..

Back