My experiment to compare ITB mixing to analog summing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not convinced that the summing box is doing anything to the mix that can't be done in the box.

A little EQ and you could probably get 95% of the difference

Still, it'd be nice to hear a properly blind comparison - with no processing done to the mix after the summing/mixing is done. Can't see how this is relevant to the comparison, if anything it will obscure the results slightly.

I am not convinced that the summing box is doing anything to the mix that can't be done in the box.

Still, it'd be nice to hear a properly blind comparison - with no processing done to the mix after the summing/mixing is done. Can't see how this is relevant to the comparison, if anything it will obscure the results slightly.

Exactly. I am not sure if an EQ is the right tool for this job, but a console or tape saturation plugin will fill this 5% up for sure.

Exactly. I am not sure if an EQ is the right tool for this job, but a console or tape saturation plugin will fill this 5% up for sure.

OK...prove it. :)

His comparison showed there is a difference....you're now simply guessing as to what might make it so.

Yeah, sorry, but this is really not helpful since you've already identified the two tracks. For it to be worthwhile, people need to be listening blindly without confirmation bias.

Whereas a couple of members say:

OK...prove it. :)

His comparison showed there is a difference....you're now simply guessing as to what might make it so.

Hey, all you need is VST plug ins.

We haven't said there's no difference.

We both said that the difference is so small between the two that if we added an EQ to one of the two or saturation to the ITB only,
you won't be able to understand which is which and what's the "real analog" or the "plugin-analog" one - cause the difference is not extraordinary.

You don't have to take it personally guys, it's like you're ironic and got offended cause people can achieve things with 90% less money with plugins
and not with a full analog gear that costs double or triple the money and room space.

We're experimenting here chill out :)

I believe that the reason you say that analog is better is because you knew in the file name which is which.

---- Blind Test ----

I created 2 new files - random names: F and N.
Since we talked about EQ or Saturation only, I promise I haven't used anything else than an EQ or Saturation VST plugin or nothing.

Can you spot which was the "real analog" vs the "VST fake analog"?

I will I tip my hat off to both of you guys if you can actually find the difference.
For me, even if I can find the difference it's not worth for me the extra money for analog summing for 5% sound difference, that can be easily achieved with just an EQ or a saturation plugin.

That's my personal opinion only of course :)

There you go!

Mix F -

Mix N -

We haven't said there's no difference.

I meant prove that you can take the OP's audio and make a VST version sound like his summed version.
Your files are irrelevant...you don't have a summed version. :)

Also...you don't have to take it personally and get offended, and all defensive of your choices, just cause people choose to achieve things with real gear rather than use plugs.
You seem to have a need to constantly and openly reaffirm your use of plugs rather than hardware gear/amps/etc....why is that?
Do you have subconscious doubts about giving up that 5-10% of sound difference you mentioned, that real gear brings VS plugs?

Also...you don't have to take it personally and get offended, and all defensive of your choices, just cause people choose to achieve things with real gear rather than use plugs.
You seem to have a need to constantly and openly reaffirm your use of plugs rather than hardware gear/amps/etc....why is that?
Do you have subconscious doubts about giving up that 5-10% of sound difference you mentioned, that real gear brings VS plugs?

You must have forgotten the part that you had asked me to do it and the topic is about plugs vs analog?
Maybe that's the reason I am talking about plugs? Just saying.

It's ok Miroslav I got it.

You won't try and guess which is which, and we both know the reason why, right Miroslav? :rolleyes:

No matter how much you're going to shape the conversation to your dodging needs, I'll continue replying to members and viewers that are not afraid
to admit that, in 2015, the summing boxes don't have such significant difference compared to plugs, as they used to be - at least for this particular test and gear cause I haven't tested more than 4 analog summing boxes to speak truth.

I learned my lesson today: Don't waste time on someone that thinks he's always better than others and when proof comes onto their heads,
they just repeat the same things like 5 years olds - "no you're the one that is defending himsef , not me, you you you... MOM he's the one right??? Please help out here I am out of dodging answers".

Your response was the perfect answer for me. Excuse me if I ignore your replies from now on.

Excuse my English since it's not my mother language. What's the right one-word of "open for guessing reasons" you kind sir, then? :)

Your English has been just fine up until now.
In fact, I think it was fine right up until the last time I questioned one of your posts too.

Anyway, just pointing out that there's no option to close a thread, even if you were the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back