MX-2424 problem

Thnks, Alan. I have a 3.12 card, so I may upgrade again, for the extra hard drive space and see how it goes. But my existing external hard drive did not respond properly, or work well with 3.12, which really surprised me. I did re-format the ext drive, and it did resume normal operation, so I was good as gold, but the Tascam was taking more time to load programs. Not a lot more, but enough to make me go back to 1.13. (Yes, I'm running 256mb)
I'll try again, and re-format both int and ext drives again. It should be fine, and all the programs are backed-up, so I won't lose anything.
As for mxview, well I agree, it's a great program, but I'm a musician first and an engineer second, and I just don't need the extra editing features, and I get cranky having to work with a mouse and a monitor. Just a personal preference. Not to mention, I'm running win7 for ezdrummer2, so I'd have to have an extra win98 computer and extra cables kicking around. If it becomes necessary, I may find a win98 comp and use it for file transfers, but for now, I like the mx stand alone. Thanks again, so much.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I pulled the 256 ram card from my old MX-2424 to upgrade the 128 ram in my new MX-2424. I put it in and my machine wouldn't boot up. I cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser and put it back and the Tascam booted right up. So I put back in the my old MX-2424 and it booted right up also. This is the reason I started this whole post. So my old machine is fixed. All it needed was the RAM stick contacts cleaned. What a trip! Now if I could get MX-View to work I would be a happy guy. Every time I try to connect with the Tascam I get the cable unplugged message. I tried two different computers and both of the Tascam's and I get the same message. The cable is a crossover cable I just bought. What's up with this! What am I not getting, any ideas? Bob

You are getting cable unplugged message on the pc. Are the computers old ones with a phone cable connector and an Ethernet plug. If so are you plugged into the Ethernet plug?

Is the Ethernet cable clicked in properly?

Again, check the Ethernet port enabled in the control panel > network connections > local connection?
Alan

Well, that's good news, good that you located the problem. I've had stuff like that happen... it makes you crazy for a while, and then without even meaning to you find the solution. On the mxView thing, I'm not experienced on it. My first thought was the cable, but you mention it's new.. But still, maybe scrounge up another cable or two, maybe at least just to eliminate it as the cause..(?)

Hi Guys, I GOT IT!!!! This program is amazing. Dan Tascam you were right about the cable. I bought another cable (from another store) and I turned the computer and the Tascam and it linked up on it's own. I hadn't clicked on anything. So both of my Tascam's are working and I have MX-View going. I'm a tape guy and I'm not sure if I will be editing and all that, but this program is great and worth having. I'm so glad there are guys like you that will help an idiot like me work out this digital madness. I can't thank you guys enough. I've been reading all this stuff on the internet about the MX-2424 and MX-View and 90% of the time it says Witzendoz, thanks for answering my questions both of you. Bob

Hi Guys, I GOT IT!!!! This program is amazing. Dan Tascam you were right about the cable. I bought another cable (from another store) and I turned the computer and the Tascam and it linked up on it's own. I hadn't clicked on anything. So both of my Tascam's are working and I have MX-View going. I'm a tape guy and I'm not sure if I will be editing and all that, but this program is great and worth having. I'm so glad there are guys like you that will help an idiot like me work out this digital madness. I can't thank you guys enough. I've been reading all this stuff on the internet about the MX-2424 and MX-View and 90% of the time it says Witzendoz, thanks for answering my questions both of you. Bob

Great to see it up and running. I too am an old tape guy from way back. I bought the MX when it came out as it works very much like a tape machine. In fact I record all my stuff in "Tape Mode". MX-view however is great for seeing what you are in fact doing and setting up drop ins and drop outs when tracking. MX-view is also easier to load projects, smart copy projects and backing up.

I do use the editing (by converting my tape mode project to non-destructive after all the tracking is done) but only for minor fix ups or cleaning up. The editing side of the MX is pretty basic, however it was designed back in the 90's so it was good for its day.

When you get used to MX view and machine operation, I will run you past how to sync 2 machines and display them both at the same time on mx-view LOL. But get up to speed first. edit: Opps hang on it's Dan that has 2 machines LOL.

Alan.

Yes I think I need to get used to using MX-View and the Tascam for a while and then learn how to sync the two Tascam's together for 48 channels. That would be pretty cool. Do you use Analog converters or digital inputs on your Tascam's? And do you use a mixer or virtual mixing? I like having a board that I can actually see all channels at once and turning real knobs instead of mouse recording. But that is the way I've always worked. But I know everybody is going to DAW systems and I wonder how long us tape guys can hold out. I guess I've given in somewhat since I'm using a digital recorder now. Bob

Yes I think I need to get used to using MX-View and the Tascam for a while and then learn how to sync the two Tascam's together for 48 channels. That would be pretty cool. Do you use Analog converters or digital inputs on your Tascam's? And do you use a mixer or virtual mixing? I like having a board that I can actually see all channels at once and turning real knobs instead of mouse recording. But that is the way I've always worked. But I know everybody is going to DAW systems and I wonder how long us tape guys can hold out. I guess I've given in somewhat since I'm using a digital recorder now. Bob

I got confused over who has 2 machines, is it both bob and dan?

My set up is that both MX's have analog cards, I usually use 1 machine with the second one a back up machine in case of problems with the 1st. I do however have them synced in case a extra large project is on the go. The console that they are connected to is a Tascam M3700. This connection is via a 24 channel -10db to +4db / +4db to - 10db converter that my Tech put together for me, due to the M3700 having -10db as standard as they were made for the MSR series tape machines. So I record via the console to the MX, then mix in the analog world with the M3700 and outboard gear. Sometimes I will mix in the box but only if the project suits but I too dislike using the mouse and screen when mixing. The M3700 console has automation.

Both MX's also have Adat cards fitted and these are connected to a 32 channel light pipe. This lets us have 24 in and 8 out digital using both MX's and to the computer via firewire, mainly set up for clients that have protools or something on a laptop and are tracking to take home (when I am not there and they don't know the MX or we track on that and file transfer later if I am there).

Cheers
Alan.

Hi Alan, I checked out the 3700 online, nice board. Having automation is nice. We have a Korg D-3200 which is my only experience with automated faders, outside of recording in pro studios But from that I know automation can be great to have. I'm wondering do you have a set of the well known Yamaha NS 10m's in your studio. What do you use for near fields and playback?

Hi Alan, I checked out the 3700 online, nice board. Having automation is nice. We have a Korg D-3200 which is my only experience with automated faders, outside of recording in pro studios But from that I know automation can be great to have. I'm wondering do you have a set of the well known Yamaha NS 10m's in your studio. What do you use for near fields and playback?

Just to clarify, the M3700 does not have moving faders but does have VCA automated faders. Also the automation turns on and off, EQ, Aux send, Effects Sends and channel mutes. All very handy.

I have NS10's Old model. And the other monitors are Mission Pro, which are very rare and were made by the mission speaker company UK as a studio monitor before the Chinese take over, and a pair of Auratones (horror tones as we call them).

A web site link listing everything is under my signature.

Alan.

Great that you got it, Bob. You know, after I sent that, about the cable, I had this nagging memory of a scsi cable that didn't work for me, about a year ago. I switched it out, and everything worked. Tascam, in fact recommends Tascam cables, or "high quality cables only"

Alan, yes, I have two MX's.. I did have them sync'd for a while. Anyway, the music I'm currently working on is best suited to 24 tracks. My home studio board (Allen/Heath GL2400) is only 24 channel. I keep the second MX at my "loud" room, nearby, for tracking drum set and guitar parts that need to be loud. Also, Remember the Allen & Heath GL2? Great little mixer.. Well I found one on ebay for under 300, clean, with a new int. pwr supply, so I use that at the loud room. I have the external scsi drive which I can run over to that room, and bring it back home to mix, and continue with the vocals, ezdrummer, closet guitar amp, ect.

My first multi track was a TSR-8, i believe that was the little brother to the MSR 16 (?) Those MSR series are great machines, really good Tascam gear.

Man, that -10 to +4 and back again, thatt's an ambitious piece of equipment, and certainly worth having.
Nice board, too.

I'm impressed that you go with the Tape Mode, that's cool, and if I remember correctly, overall, it affords more recording time, correct? Seems like the Tape Mode function would make a project feel more creative, and musical.

These sure are great machines.. Oh, I too, have both decks loaded with the analog Tray, and also an ADAT Optical card, so things are pretty functional now. BTW, the ADAT cards are on ebay for $75, if you ever need one, or need a back up. That may interest you, Bob as well. Here is the URL:

New Tascam MX 2424 Digital Option Card 24 Channel ADAT 410000151716 | eBay

I bought two and then a 3rd just to have it, from this guy.. New in box They work perfectly. (old stock, no doubt) Thanks again, Alan, for all your recent help, and also in the past. 'til later then, Dan

Last edited:
(Allen/Heath GL2400) is only 24 channel. Remember the Allen & Heath GL2? Great little mixer..

I always liked Allen & heath gear , used a lot of live consoles when I did live sound. Actually got to mix on the new QU digital at a gig recently.

My first multi track was a TSR-8, i believe that was the little brother to the MSR 16 (?) Those MSR series are great machines, really good Tascam gear.

I Started with a TEAC 3340S (still own it), then a TSR-8 (brand new) then a MSR16S (brand new, and still own it, have a second one for spares), before buying my 1st MX2424 (brand new).

Man, that -10 to +4 and back again, that's an ambitious piece of equipment.

I have a good tech, hope he does not read this as the prices may go up LOL.

I'm impressed that you go with the Tape Mode, that's cool, and if I remember correctly, overall, it affords more recording time, correct? Seems like the Tape Mode function would make a project feel more creative, and musical.

I like tape mode, get rid of what you don't want straight up. Keeps the file size down and the files are easier to transfer to computer as wavs if needed. I do sometimes use non-destruct after tracking to fix minor things, and sometimes I use the mute edit to clean up drum tracks depending on the project.

These sure are great machines.. Oh, I too, have both decks loaded with the analog Tray, and also an ADAT Optical card, so things are pretty functional now. BTW, the ADAT cards are on ebay for $80, if you ever need one, or need a back up. That may interest you, Bob as well. Here is the URL:

New Tascam MX 2424 Digital Option Card 24 Channel ADAT 410000151716 | eBay

I bought two and then a 3rd just to have it, from this guy.. New in box They work perfectly. (old stock, no doubt) 'til later then, Dan

I bought the Adat cards from the same guy quite a while back.

Cheers
Alan.

Mr.Tascam, tell me about your music. Are working with a band or are you doing everything yourself? From what you write I'm guessing your a guitar player who also sings? Are you playing the drums also? I gather you have acoustic drums and the ezdrummer. What style of music? Is your studio just for your own music or do you record other folks as a business like Witzendoz? Mr.Witzendoz I checked out your website, you have a nice setup. I like the way you have the Tascams right there under or to the side of your board. I notice you have the remote control with a stand and I assume with wheels. Are you a bass player mainly? Are you playing in a band and or doing your own music? Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, I have the MX's in the low rack to the right of the board, this is so I can glance at the metering mainly when setting up (I do most of the metering on MX-view when actually recording), I could mount them further away but they are not in the way now and with the quiet fans and no drives they don't make much noise.

I do have a remote and I made the stand on wheels from a traveling hydraulic stool form a furniture shop, just took the padded bit off and replaced with a wood top, works great. I only got the remote with my second MX, so I have mostly been using MV-view as a remote, but its handy to have as you can easily access menu items and a few functions that MX-view does not do.

Yes, mainly a bass player (fretted, fretless and recently upright), also a singer and I play some keyboards but don't practice enough LOL. I was also a drum programer and sequencer writer in my old band (we used live drum loops and samples on stage), but now I play bass and sing in a British blues style band, covers but stacks of originals also (2 Albums worth). I play bass on a lot of other peoples songs in the studio as I am very quick to learn songs, must be the 40 plus years I have been playing bass.

Cheers
Alan.

Hi Alan, So what are some of the covers you guys do that I might be familiar with? Are you guys like hardcore blues like Muddy Waters or T-Bone walker type of things or more rocking like Yardbirds or early Rolling Stones or John Mayall? Or maybe something totally different? Bob

Hi Alan, So what are some of the covers you guys do that I might be familiar with? Are you guys like hardcore blues like Muddy Waters or T-Bone walker type of things or more rocking like Yardbirds or early Rolling Stones or John Mayall? Or maybe something totally different? Bob

We do a lot of John Mayall (half the Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton album), Cream and Clapton, very early stones, Robin Trower, Savoy Brown, the Animals, the early american blues songs we do the version is the British Blues style, Like The Blues Band. We do the occasional Hendrix song as we think The Experience was a British band. Some of the songs we do are very obscure, things like SWLABR by Cream, Taste and Try by Savoy Brown, etc, more album tracks for the fans of this stuff rather then the pub rock band tracks that usually get done.

Having said that, in a 3 hour gig over half the songs are originals, our originals sound like the bands mentioned above anyway as we are not trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Alan

Great choices. I've never listened to much Robin Trower and it's been years since I listened to Savoy Brown, I don't why. But the others are all things I love. I too would say The Experience was an English band, after all if not for Chas Chandler I not sure we would all know Hendrix the way we do. Stones, Cream and the Animals are great bands. I don't care much for Stones after say 1974 or around Goats Head Soup but love the things before that, mainly the Brian Jones era. If your originals have that type of sound they must be good. I was lucky enough to see John Mayall with Mick Taylor here in Kansas City some years back. You know three hours is a long gig. Bob

Great choices. I've never listened to much Robin Trower . Bob

Bridge Of Sighs should be classified as an all time classic album and even after all these years I would recommend every guitar player listen to this album, Link, Robin rower never did vocals and on this album vocals were handled by James Dewar, In my early playing days I based my playing and vocals on James, a long lost talent. My heroes were James Dewar, Jack Bruce and John Entwistle (we really must do some Who covers LOL).

Cheers
Alan.

At this point I must apologise to the Moderators as this thread is completely off track now LOL.

Thanks for the link, sorry about getting off track here. So is the largest external drive the MX-2424 will see a 18 GB? I've read some contradictory things on this. And if I disconnect the internal hard drive will the recorder operate normally with just a external? On the MX-View the manual shows drop down menu's in the project/track window that I don't see on the program. I'm trying to back up to the computer and it looks a little different than the manual. Bob

You can use up to 74gig with the latest op system, however you Have to format and initialise the drive after the op system has been installed if the drive had been formatted with an earlier op system.

The mx with operate with only an external drive connected, been doing it for years and best way to go.

When the project/track window is open the menu under file (from memory) changes to reflect the correct options.

Cheers
Alan

Back