Muttley's Custom LP Guitar Build

@ JCH.. A few pics of the binding jig..
Thanks! I began reverse engineering it when I first saw the other photo. :D

..You'll find many examples of this jig on line if you search around. Made this one in about half a day and it has been used dozens of times and has never failed on me.
I've got some heavy duty full extension drawer glides, and most of the other stuff I'll need on hand. I suppose I'll design around those.

Thanks! I began reverse engineering it when I first saw the other photo. :D

I've got some heavy duty full extension drawer glides, and most of the other stuff I'll need on hand. I suppose I'll design around those.

Go for it. It will handle normal binding jobs better than a hand held router as well. Forgot to mention one design consideration. On mine the turntable is on a bearing with a post running right through the assembly. You will need to cut a slot to allow the beam arm to travel around it...

IMAG0240.jpg

If I decide to get a new guitar, I'm going to come to you first! You mention somewhere above that you sell these for around a grand - that's what I paid for a second-hand LP Traditional.

Where are you? If you can get some decent soundclips done for me I'll do you a deal... I'm never happy with mine mainly because I did them and it's me playing...:o

Where are you? If you can get some decent soundclips done for me I'll do you a deal... I'm never happy with mine mainly because I did them and it's me playing...:o

Lol, thanks for the offer, but I'm a really bad guitarist. I'm in Essex right now, but I'm going back to uni up north next year - I'm not going to be looking for a guitar any time soon. My current LP is far and away the best guitar I ever owned, so I'm happy for now. I'll look you up when I next get GAS, though. I'm a lefty, btw.

Lol, thanks for the offer, but I'm a really bad guitarist. I'm in Essex right now, but I'm going back to uni up north next year - I'm not going to be looking for a guitar any time soon. My current LP is far and away the best guitar I ever owned, so I'm happy for now. I'll look you up when I next get GAS, though. I'm a lefty, btw.

Where in Essex? I'm only just over the border in Herts... You getting this crap wind and rain? M25 terrible today...

man ..... too bad I'm across the pond and poor ...... I'd bury you in soundclips for a deal on one of your guitars.

Where in Essex? I'm only just over the border in Herts... You getting this crap wind and rain? M25 terrible today...

I live in Chelmsford - yep, crappy weather all day - trying to decide whether I go running today. Luckily, I don't go near the M25 often (except across it on the train to London when I'm working).

Whoa, that headstock blew me away. In fact the whole guitar is amazing. mutt you are a true artisan.

I have a thing for Les Pauls and this would be my de facto dream guitar. Maybe after i put my kids through college and retire i can have you build me one. lol

I live in Chelmsford - yep, crappy weather all day - trying to decide whether I go running today. Luckily, I don't go near the M25 often (except across it on the train to London when I'm working).

You are about 10 miles away then. I'm near Stansted. We should hook up for a beer and a chat sometime.

Whoa, that headstock blew me away. In fact the whole guitar is amazing. mutt you are a true artisan.

I have a thing for Les Pauls and this would be my de facto dream guitar. Maybe after i put my kids through college and retire i can have you build me one. lol

I may hold you to that. By the time your kids are through mine will be starting out. I'll need all the work I can get by then with the cost of Uni these days.....:o

What this build really needs are pointier edges, EMGs, 24 jumbo frets, and a floyd rose.

Maybe a super badass snakeskin finish, or tiger stripes, but that's optional.

you know it man ...... got a neat new little 5 watt head I'm using for my restaurant gigs rather than a modeler.
Ampeg GVT-5. Most headroom I've ever seen in a 5 watter.

I'm looking for a small little carry amp right now. I'm still using an AER Acousticube and it's good for the jazz stuff. It's very dry for anything where I want a little more saxy if you know what I mean... Hows that thing do backing up a bit of brass and piano?

I'm looking for a small little carry amp right now. I'm still using an AER Acousticube and it's good for the jazz stuff. It's very dry for anything where I want a little more saxy if you know what I mean... Hows that thing do backing up a bit of brass and piano?
well ....... I think it'd probably handle it.
Probably not with drums except for brush gigs ....

I've tried a lot of the little 5 watters and I've found that most of them break up too soon to hang with even pretty softish drums. They get loud enough but you can only get a distorted sound at those levels.
They ALMOST keep up but not quite and I need my cleans to be clean. I can always get dirt from a pedal. The Ampeg is also fairly responsive to cleaning up when you roll off the git volume.

But this Ampeg almost doesn't break up ..... even at full volume it only gets to a crunch.
I think most of the 5 watters are designed for the studio where you might want the amp to break up at low volumes. But for gigging you need more headroom and this one has MUCH more headroom than any of my others ..... it even has more headroom than my 15 watt Tiny Terror so I'm looking forward to putting it to work..
I haven't taken it to a rehearsal yet but I will.

I think it would handle a brass and piano thing well.
Ampeg has a good video that gives a good idea of how it sounds.
They also make a 15 watter that would handle anything with a full tone stack and 'verb.
And they're cheap as hell over here ..... they may be discontinued or something .... M.F. had the GVT-5 for 150 and the GVT-15 for 250.
But for me, I mostly play solo against a keyboard sequencer so 5 watts is plenty ......... for band gigs I use one of my other amps.

Be aware that I am an Ampeg fan. I have 3 70's era Ampegs .... another from the 90's and now this one.
I like how their EQ's are voiced and I feel like they sorta have their own sound although I'd kinda call this 5 watter a Fender-ish sound overall.

Back