Guitar EMI RFI

Does this buzz happen on any other guitars with pickups?

At any other location with the same gear?
Actually i had my same exact setup in another apartment before i moved and it was dead silent.

I only recently moved my rig to this apartment.

So this should help you guys narrow down the ideas. It really isnt my rig or the pickup or the guitar or any grounding on any of my gear at all.

Same Rig same setup different geographical location

for example right now i just checked and the noise is gone lol. i just hear the normal noise floor from my rig which is very low and normal and i am totally okay with.

When that high buzz noise comes on it really kills the session and makes the track ugly!

I never had to do that anywhere. Prove the RFI exists first.

A more likely explanation, for me, is you broke something in the move.

I am going to take advantage of my buzz free time lol will be on later today. i think i will get a few hours until around 3 or 4 today

i will test the reading with buzz and when the buzz is gone to see any difference. Will post when i have the numbers

You’re really getting wound up. Clearly you have a problem, but as you cannot stop it at source, then consider a different pickup. Order something to at least try as an alternative. Like I said. Swapping my pickups and treating the guitar cured my noises. As yours is an add on pickup, treating the guitar is not going to work. So swap it. If the new one does the same thing, send it back.
can you record the noise? It’s very difficult to describe in words. We’d probably say it’s air on, or a fridge, or arcing from a junction box or …….. the timer thing makes me think compressors or heating pumps. However, finding a less interference prone pickup seems the easiest. Just buy two or three that have returns policies and compare them.

You’re really getting wound up. Clearly you have a problem, but as you cannot stop it at source, then consider a different pickup. Order something to at least try as an alternative. Like I said. Swapping my pickups and treating the guitar cured my noises. As yours is an add on pickup, treating the guitar is not going to work. So swap it. If the new one does the same thing, send it back.
can you record the noise? It’s very difficult to describe in words. We’d probably say it’s air on, or a fridge, or arcing from a junction box or …….. the timer thing makes me think compressors or heating pumps. However, finding a less interference prone pickup seems the easiest. Just buy two or three that have returns policies and compare them.
i was thinking of getting the LR brags pickup even though this dimarzio is also humbucker stacked like the Brags is. i am taking my rig to where is was setup initially and leaving it there. if it still makes noise there i will record it and send a snip although i dont think it will. Either way i will post an update soon.

It's really worth the change - I really don't know if my pickups were just poorly designed or faulty? The swap did work really well.

To Lazer - those meters are totally useless for what we're talking about here - Electro-Magnetic Interference. Those meters are great telling you if your microwave is leaking, or big leakages, but most E-M interference is very different and the impact depends on what exactly the interference is? They're fun to play with but rarely very accurate, and weak fields that get picked up by a guitar might not even register - while a leaky microwave might not interfere with a guitar at all - but be pretty dangerous!

To Lazer - those meters are totally useless for what we're talking about here -
Not totally.

It is designed to find RFI noise. It will be able to prove what is present. He could walk around with it and find zones where it is higher or lower.

You're looking for big noise. Something that's gonna make it through exterior walls. Something thats 2 buildings down, at the pole, or where ever..

Back