Multiple outputs

Rezzonator

There are lots of soundcards with multiple outputs, like the ESI Waveterminal. Is it possible to connect a track in Cubase to a single output? And in that way plugging up to 8 (mono) tracks in a cubase-project seperately to a channel on a mixing desk?

I'm not familiar with Cubase, but in pretty much all DAW Software, you should be able to assign each track to it's own individual output, so...yes, you can do what you're wanting to do.

I'm not familiar with the soundcard, but if you set Cubase to use the driver for that card and go to "connections", you should be able to see all the different outputs. If you can see 8 outputs, then go to the routing area, you should be able to add more output busses.

I can't remember exactly what the screens are called. The first screen is in the config menu, and the second is under a separate menu. Someone else can chime in here.

I'm not up on Cubebase here either (SONAR user myself), but it seems reasonable that any multi-track recording software will allow for audio bussing, main and aux sends. If it doesn't, I would stay away from it that's for sure.

Here's a forum dedicated to Cubebase users http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/

I was going to give you Steinberg's weblink but their site seems to be down at the moment.

OK...I've read your post a little more carefully. I have to say that I don't understand the question.

Could you clear this up just a bit?

Thanks

Well, I've got cubase projects with up to 8 tracks (1 for drums, 1 for percussion, 1 for bass, etc.). All I want is to lead these 8 tracks out to an external mixing desk, on 8 separate channels.

OK...I getcha...

The answer is yes...with a sound card that has that ability. I'm assuming you've already tracked/recorded the audio and it's stored in your PC? If you're wanting to track 8 simultaneous audio sources to the PC and at the same time, send it to an external mixer board, you'll need to make sure the PC and the sound card are up to the task...with the right gear, this is still "possible". Latency and cpu loading will get in the way real fast for a lightweight set up.

Something I like to do is reamp or run previously recorded tracks back through external effects so, I'll take a completely dry set of tracks (drum set or a DI'd electric bass for example) and send each of the tracks back out to seperate external processors/effects.

I'm not in a position to address your card or your software but, I know I can do it with my pair of Delta 1010LT's and SONAR. It's not that unusual of a concept really but most people don't send all the tracks back out simultaneously. Most people when they get the audio in the PC keep it there and mix in the computer.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

Thanks punkin. The thing I want to do is just gigging. I'v recorded some bass-tracks and programmed drums. So on stage our computer has to do the drum'n'basses.
I know this is not an obvious thing to do. DAW and soundcards are primarily designed for multiple inputs.

Rezzonator said:
I know this is not an obvious thing to do. DAW and soundcards are primarily designed for multiple inputs.

It's actually pretty common. There are quite a few folks and facilities recording to the box (computer) and mixing on a desk (mixer). There are even interfaces that have more outputs than inputs. And practically any modern recording software will support this.

-RD

True. We're going to install a ESI waveterminal 192: 4 ins / 8 outs. But the funny thing is the manual is comprehensive about the ins, and very brief on ins (pardon my english).

Back