Monitors...Dual Screens or Single Wide Screen

DREAMLABS

I'm tossing up which is the better option, using two (2) LCD Screens or using one single 20.1 inch Wide Screen monitor. Would I be sacrificing "desktop real estate" by using just one monitor? What do you guys think?

With two monitors, obviously you get more resolution. The 24" LCD I'm drooling over is 1920 x 1200, whereas two 17"s gets you 2540 x 1024 for a lot less cash.

Still, I want the 24" :D

I got 2 19" LCD screens for less than half the price of the apple cinema display.
and also as mshilarious noted, you get more resolution. unless you go for like a 30" :D
than the resolution is similar.

I went with dual 19" monitors, much better than a single. Because you get more screen real-estate. But if you need desk real-estate, go with one. But with two it is a lot easier if you need to have multiple applications open (i.e. Host sequencer in one window, and a Re-Wire slave open in the other).

19" LCDs provide no real benefit over 17" LCDs. Both have a native resolution of 1280x1024. All you get with a 19" is larger pixels and a larger overall image at a higher price.

I like my two monitors:

IMG_6915.JPG

Last edited:
fiber said:
I like my two monitors:

IMG_6915.JPG

Dude I've got that SAME Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Mouse and Keyboard set! Bought it yesterday to replace the Dell wireless version that I had before.

My 17inch LCD is analog though, TFT, you've got two DVI sceens. Am I to assume that you've got a video card with a one DVI connector and one VGA connector? If so, do you notice any difference in the picture on both screens?

I've got a Matrox G450 card in my machine and it has two VGA connectors. I was thinking of buying two 19inch DVI monitors, but I was wondering if I should get a video card with two DVI connectors or one that has the usual DVI and VGA?

Decisions! Decisions!

I've got two monitors at work (I make video games) at home I have a HP 2035 20" LCD and I want a second one for recording. Even at 1600x1200, you run out of space for tracks really quickly. I would probably have the tracks on the left and plugins, mixer, and web pages (;)) on the right.

If you've got the money to spend, I would reccomend it highly.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
I've got two monitors at work (I make video games) at home I have a HP 2035 20" LCD and I want a second one for recording. Even at 1600x1200, you run out of space for tracks really quickly. I would probably have the tracks on the left and plugins, mixer, and web pages (;)) on the right.

If you've got the money to spend, I would reccomend it highly.

Which video card do you use with your dual monitor set-up? Is it DVI and VGA or is it a dual DVI card?

DREAMLABS said:
Dude I've got that SAME Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Mouse and Keyboard set! Bought it yesterday to replace the Dell wireless version that I had before.

My 17inch LCD is analog though, TFT, you've got two DVI sceens. Am I to assume that you've got a video card with a one DVI connector and one VGA connector? If so, do you notice any difference in the picture on both screens?

I've got a Matrox G450 card in my machine and it has two VGA connectors. I was thinking of buying two 19inch DVI monitors, but I was wondering if I should get a video card with two DVI connectors or one that has the usual DVI and VGA?

Decisions! Decisions!
I have an XFX 6600GT - it has Dual DVI Output, so each Dell 1905FP (the monitors I have) are on there own input. No converter.

I'd get one with Dual DVI, you never know what you may add in the future. During my monitor/graphics card search, I had asked that same question but I was never able to get a solid or concrete answer.

EDIT: Link to my graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150098

DREAMLABS said:
Which video card do you use with your dual monitor set-up? Is it DVI and VGA or is it a dual DVI card?
One of the newer Nvidia cards. I forget which. I think one is DVI and the other is VGA with a DVI adapter IIRC.

i got two monitors and i can't live without it !!!!
i'm even thinking about adding a third one, no kidding,
its not luxuary, it makes you work alot faster, and its so much more fun and easy to work with cubase or any other DAW, even surfing on internet and stuff,
i wouldn't think twice, get yourself two flatscreen (or tft, how do they call it again) monitors, 17" is real great, but 19" would be wicked

i still got two huge monitors on my desctop, they take too much place, and one day i'll replace them with those thin 'flatscreens'

ps, my videocard is a Matrox g550 , i highly recommend Matrox cards, they are simple, not expensive and work real real well

Back