Mike Ness Cab Mic?

Hello everyone, I didn't know where else to turn.

Mike Ness from Social Distortion gets an amazing live sound. I found this photo of his rig and I was wondering what kind of mic that is.

Neumann, Shure KSM or something else? It looks like a condenser mic?

Thanks

SocialDistortion_4.jpg

Absolutely a Shure KSM. But the model? Held up there with a Z bar.
Great picture though Greg! ;)
You might be able to look up the tour on line and find a microphone list that was used.

:cool:

Absolutely a Shure KSM. But the model?

Yeah you're right, that is probably a 32. It lacks a couple of rings the 44 case has. It's too long to be the shorter 27, and I don't think the new 42 has the pad/rolloff switches, but I haven't seen one yet . . .

It's not the SM beta27 is it? I haven't seen one as yet and I'm not even sure if the housing is the same as the older KSM.

Wow, thanks for all the input!

I think it is in fact a KSM32. Can a condenser handle being stuck in front of a loud cab like that? I usually use a metal screen/pop filter but never that close to a loud speaker.

Thanks

Wow, thanks for all the input!

I think it is in fact a KSM32. Can a condenser handle being stuck in front of a loud cab like that? I usually use a metal screen/pop filter but never that close to a loud speaker.

Thanks

OH yeah, happens every day.

Do you guys recomend a KSM27 or KSM32 for recording distored guitars or are there some better alternatives in the same price range?

From what I have read the KSM27 sounds like it would be better for close micing the 32.

Do you guys recomend a KSM27 or KSM32 for recording distored guitars or are there some better alternatives in the same price range?

From what I have read the KSM27 sounds like it would be better for close micing the 32.

I have a few ksm27's and they do sound good on cabs here and there but you'll have to purchase them used for they are discontinued.
You could always check out the cheap $100. ribbon microphones they sound fine on guitar cabs as well! ;)

Same shortbody housing as the SM27 & KSM27, but it's finished in the Beta series' gray color.

Blue/grey as the rest of the beta series?
I all ways liked the color of the KSM series ...... just looks more IDK ~ more expensive, more noble, more distinguished.

Well I tried out the Shure KSM32 and I am loving it! To my ears it picks up the sound of my distorted amp quite accurately without coloring the tone unlike every dynamic mic I have ever used. It has a nice flat no-hyped sound to it. Also the high frequencies sound warmer and less fizzy/shrill then a dynamic mic or a AKG c2000 that I have.

I don't know how Mike Ness manages to keep it right on the grill, but I found that it sounded best for me at least 4-5 inches off the grill using the -15db attenuation switch.

It's a keeper and I hope to try it on other things.

Well I tried out the Shure KSM32 and I am loving it! To my ears it picks up the sound of my distorted amp quite accurately without coloring the tone unlike every dynamic mic I have ever used. It has a nice flat no-hyped sound to it. Also the high frequencies sound warmer and less fizzy/shrill then a dynamic mic or a AKG c2000 that I have.

I don't know how Mike Ness manages to keep right on the grill, but I found that it sounded best for me at least 4-5 inches off the grill using the -15db attenuation switch.

It's a keeper and I hope to try it on other things.

Great to hear Greg. Now you can take the 32 and a dynamic on the same amp and mix the two to taste, if you want to try that.

Yeah I added a little SM57 back in for some trebly fizz and it sounds good. I think the KSM with any dynamic mic could potentially be a good combo because sometimes that dynamic mic coloration or hyped sound isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah I added a little SM57 back in for some trebly fizz and it sounds good. I think the KSM with any dynamic mic could potentially be a good combo because sometimes that dynamic mic coloration or hyped sound isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah the mix of 2,3,or 4 different mics are always a pleasure but I think it can be a little over board at times considering certain takes. ;)
Did you consider a cheapo ribbon?

Ribbon, huh? I have read a lot about ribbon mics but are they really that much better then a condenser mic? Plus the ones I would like to try are like $1k and to me that is absurd... I rather spend the money I don't have on guitars and vintage amps!

MXL,Nady and a few others have cheapo ribbons for under $100.
Run down to GC in (Danvers?) close to you and check it out Greg.

Any thoughts on a midrange ribbon mic that I could stick quite close to a distorted cab? Usually if I set my mind on trying something I rather dish out the extra bit of cash to get something from the next level.

It must be psychological but when I get something cheap and I don't like it my mind plays tricks on me and says “I told you so!”

I don't know if I can convince myself to shop at GC in Danver's. Too many bad experiences! I would go to Daddy’s but they have no selection.

I've used a Nady RSM-4 with fairly good results - it's not right for everything, but on a bright, crunchy amp it slays for leads. It's very thick and smooth.

It's cheap, but ribbons are pretty delicate so it's not bad for a first ribbon. I figure if I fuck it up I'm only out $70. :)

Back