MD 421 in ORTF or XY configuration for acoustic guitar

I'd be more likely to use a single condenser placed where it sounded best, or a pair of condensers with one at the 12th fret and one on the body. I would not use a stereo mic technique unless the room was a big part of the sound, like a solo guitar performance in a cathedral. If MD421s are your only choice then maybe the 12th fret/body placement is your best option.

I'd be more likely to use a single condenser placed where it sounded best, or a pair of condensers with one at the 12th fret and one on the body. I would not use a stereo mic technique unless the room was a big part of the sound, like a solo guitar performance in a cathedral. If MD421s are your only choice then maybe the 12th fret/body placement is your best option.

Correct! That what I have always done on previous projects. I had recently tried a single 421 on acoustic at the 12th fret and was impressed. So I figured why not two! Anyway, I am constantly looking for creative ways of getting a great sound. ��

try one in front pointing towards the artist chest, but somehere between the chst and the neck. the other one off to the side between 45-90 degrees pointing somehere between the 12th fret and the wood body beside it.

this works pretty good I usually pan these apart 60-70% btw. I use a SM7 in front and a AT2020 on the side, but try the md421 X2 or a MD421 in front and a large condenser mic on the side.

Back