Maybe dumb question about Beyerdynamic DT770s

I
If you have a bad room, with noise - then the only solution without sorting it is to record really close in to maximise wanted sound to unwanted sound ratio. This introduces all sorts of issues of course. Have you tried one of those screens - that between mic and noise source can only help. How much, depends on how bad it is. Personally - if you think you need to resort to clever noise reduction, the recording space is just too poor.
I get what you are saying. Right now just the de-noise tends to do the trick, I don’t think it’s as bad as I’m making it seem lol.

I posted this unedited clip from my current set up in a different thread not too long ago. Working on my technique to be less sibilant, that’s the main thing keeping me from getting closer to the mic and improving the sound to background noise ratio.

I have some isole sound proofing sheets I’m going to put over my single pane window today, that seems to be the main source of street noises.

Last edited:
Something you might look into is a noise gate, set very low, like 30-40 dB below what your good signal level is reading. Have a look ahead of maybe 10-15ms set to avoid cutting off your voice.

I took your RE20 Unedited, normalized it so I didn't have to pump up the fader, and added a noise gate in Reaper set to -35dB with 10ms look ahead. Your breaths and mouth sounds drop out pretty seamlessly in the silent parts. If you stop and get a bit of water running through the pipes, or take a breath, and it's down below the threshold, it disappears.

View attachment Fiona Undedited RE20 normalized w noise gate a -35 dB.mp3

Last edited:
Where traffic noise is intruding a lot of that is low frequencies. Happily the female voice has little content below 100Hz so a high pass filter 'going in' could help. Ok, AIs don't often have HPFs but many mixers do. They also have have at least some mid band EQ in many cases and that can be useful. Not usual to "eq going in" but extreme case sometimes need extreme solutions.

Dave.

Back