Manslick - Aunt Nora

I really like the tune and how you do it, but the mix needs some EQing of the vocal to make it less dark and make it pop more. Also, I know you don't give a damn about the rules, but if you ever do this one again, it would be hugely satisfying to return to singing about Aunt Nora after the bridge.

Aunt Nora's a good'un.

I really like the tune and how you do it, but the mix needs some EQing of the vocal to make it less dark and make it pop more. Also, I know you don't give a damn about the rules, but if you ever do this one again, it would be hugely satisfying to return to singing about Aunt Nora after the bridge.

Aunt Nora's a good'un.
Brother, each step - is took with attention. I am the pinnacle now.
not a easy place to be.

I made a new mix - I think.
I am scared to expose me
so sorry

I like the song and I don't mind the mix you've done but I think I'd tweak it a bit.

Obviously, I don't have your raw tracks to listen to and don't know what you've added or taken away in your mix but a couple of quick suggestions might be to rethink the reverb, find some low end, tweak the EQ settings individually a bit more (lacking high end in places for example).

Towards this might be nice (please excuse the artifacts):

View attachment Aunt Nora.mp3

My best suggestion is always to find a couple of reference tracks you like to use as guidance.

You may of course wish to do none of this in which case, nice song.

Last edited:
Ok see if you can access the tracks via THIS LINK

The raw tracks sound good.

See if you like these reverb settings on the vocal/guitar track which is kinda where i'd take it.

Add a (serial) ambient hall reverb set at 0.52ms, 50% dry/wet mix. Then add a medium plate reverb (after the hall reverb, not instead of) you like the sound of setting the dry/wet mix between 15% and 20%.

It should sound something like this:

View attachment Track Test.mp3

Apart from the reverb a light touch EQ, compression, saturation etc. (whatever you want to add) would be all that's needed. Don't go heavy handed making drastic moves it doesn't need it.

I like the reverb setting. But it seems like the vocals and the guitar are fighting each other frequency-wise.

I think the lower frequency part of the guitar is stepping on the vox.

Oh and I assume you noticed the raw track still has a touch of verb due to the resonance of the drums in the room.

Last edited:
Seems to have got longer, and the piano has gone, on thae HumanPlanet version. I liked it though.
Saying it was sparse was not a criticism, but part of its charm.
I would think about adding some not-in-your-face strings, to counter the guitar.

Add a (serial) ambient hall reverb set at 0.52ms, 50% dry/wet mix. Then add a medium plate reverb (after the hall reverb, not instead of) you like the sound of setting the dry/wet mix between 15% and 20%.

How often do you use a double-verb approach like this? And how often do you use two compressor inserts instead of one?

I like the reverb setting.

Cool, something to try and play around with. Bear in mind it was a bit overdone to make it easier to hear what's going on with each reverb and to hear how they each affect the sound, on a mix I'd back them off.

But it seems like the vocals and the guitar are fighting each other frequency-wise.

I think the lower frequency part of the guitar is stepping on the vox.

Have you got the vocal and guitar tracked seperately as opposed to the stem you posted? That would make it much easier to deal with.

Oh and I assume you noticed the raw track still has a touch of verb due to the resonance of the drums in the room.

I don't hear any major issues I'd be overly concerned with.

Seems to have got longer, and the piano has gone, on thae HumanPlanet version. I liked it though.

Hello Raymond (UK!).

Interestingly (maybe) this is just a reverb test on the track/stem that Manslick posted. There is no other processing of any kind other than what was applied during tracking, which was done pretty well (go Manslick!) hence no piano and I didn't cut the track, hence longer.

How often do you use a double-verb approach like this? And how often do you use two compressor inserts instead of one?

Hello dobro (nice work on latest song by the way).

Frequently. I could have any number of reverbs (with various sidechain, EQ, decay, automation etc.) on any number of tracks if that's what I think is necessary or just one if thats all that was needed (if anything it's rare for me to use just one).

Same with compressors, depending what I'm trying to achieve. Also I might us a limiter directly on an instrument track to catch peaks as well as on my master bus. Multiple limiters, we all do that don't we.

Back