Manslick - Aunt Nora

Hello dobro (nice work on latest song by the way).

Frequently. I could have any number of reverbs (with various sidechain, EQ, decay, automation etc.) on any number of tracks if that's what I think is necessary or just one if thats all that was needed (if anything it's rare for me to use just one).

Same with compressors, depending what I'm trying to achieve. Also I might us a limiter directly on an instrument track to catch peaks as well as on my master bus. Multiple limiters, we all do that don't we.
Not me, so this is sorta something new, because I don't do it. Thanks for opening up the next chapter for me. ;-)

Cool, something to try and play around with. Bear in mind it was a bit overdone to make it easier to hear what's going on with each reverb and to hear how they each affect the sound, on a mix I'd back them off.

Have you got the vocal and guitar tracked separately as opposed to the stem you posted? That would make it much easier to deal with.

I don't hear any major issues I'd be overly concerned with.
Hey Human - thanks for your time on this.
No, the track is all on one mono track.

Hey Human - thanks for your time on this.
No, the track is all on one mono track.

If that's all there will ever be then work with what you've got, it should improve as you work on the mix (🤞). Or re-track it on to seperate tracks (which shouldn't take too long for this) and work with that👍.

You have to decide how 'perfect' you want it.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

Well I copyied the vox/guitar track and eq'd out the guitar on one track and the vox on the other track, but yeah no that isn't something I am capable of.
So I re-tracked the vocal alone and deleted the original vox/guitar track, then added drums, bass and electric guitar plus tweaked the piano track.
But for some reason the level is like super low.
Kind of burned out rn so maybe tomorrow I will post my adventure in audio hell.

So I re-tracked the vocal alone and deleted the original vox/guitar track, then added drums, bass and electric guitar plus tweaked the piano track.

This is straight from the If I Had Five Bucks For Every Time This Has Happened to Me Department. Where's that little green emoji guy that's banging his fist on the table while he's shaking his head and laughing so hard he weeps?

Yeah, I know you've launched yourself into a brave new world with this tune, but hang onto the original just in case - it's a corker.

Ha well if I had a banjo it'd be in there.
I used to have a baritone sax 50 years ago but man, I couldn't abide the punch-in-the-lips feelings I got from it.

So, new rendition in the OP.

As always, I can't tell if the bass is OK volume-wise.

Yeah, the OG version is better - it sounds better, plus it's easier to make out the vocal with less acompaniment. (Which reminds me - how about a teensy bit of automation on the low/quiet vocal bits in order to get them heard better?) But having said all the that, the full-on version has a whimsical charm, too. I think basically it's because the song's a winner. I like it better each time I hear it. Hey, take your best tunes as they show themselves.

Listened to both versions at top of thread "The Newbie" and "The OG"
I really liked The OG! Love the sparseness of the arrangement in the beginning, really lets the lyrics shine, and the vocal really feels connected to the story of the song. I always dig your music and look forward to listening, this was no exception, great song!

Back