mackie onyx repair

Pony!

Quick question and I'm not sure where to put this.

I'm a renter. In the house I live I inhabit the second floor and have cleaned out and fixed up the basement to use as a studio. A few weeks ago the shower on the second floor began leaking due to cracks in the shower bed. Before I could fix it enough water leaked its way to the basement to destroy my mixer. I've sent it into the shop but it looks like it may cost me a few hundred dollars to fix. Which is catastrophic for me, right now.

Do I have the right to send the bill to my land lord? Should I? I like to maintain pretty good relations with him... as he is a really awesome guy. He just doesn't do much to maintain the property. I've, in the past, dealt with small house explosions on my own dime and on my own time... but right now I'm out of a job and just about out of money.

You can ask . . . but in my experience (more from limited experience as rentor) if you've signed an agreement there typically is a clause protecting landlord and property manager from this type of thing

laws vary from state to state, but your lease agreement is the place to start

but typically I'd have a renter/leasee do a walk through certifying that stuff that needed to work worked and my liability was limited (depending on state laws) to repairing the property (I've replaced water heaters on thanksgiving day, a time when no vendors (sales or service were open) but did not feel I needed to compensate renter for damage the water heater failure had done . . . something about ruining thanksgiving dinner

there is renters insurance and/or inland marine riders to cover this sort of thing

Back