M35 vs. M308B sound quality?

Cliff Kane

I have a questions for those of you who are familiar with both the Tascam M35 and the Tascam M308B mixing boards:
Which of these two boards has the better sounding mic pres and eq? I know that the M308B has more features, but from a sound quality point, which one is better? Also, does the M35 have phantom power for condenser mics?

Thank for your help!
Cliff

I have a questions for those of you who are familiar with both the Tascam M35 and the Tascam M308B mixing boards:
Which of these two boards has the better sounding mic pres and eq? I know that the M308B has more features, but from a sound quality point, which one is better? Also, does the M35 have phantom power for condenser mics?

Thank for your help!
Cliff

The 35 does not have phantom. It does have input transformers and is fully modular. I don't believe the 308 has either of these attributes but am not certain of this. Up grading the trannies and chips in the 35 will improve it's performance quite a bit.

The 35 does not have phantom. It does have input transformers and is fully modular. I don't believe the 308 has either of these attributes but am not certain of this. Up grading the trannies and chips in the 35 will improve it's performance quite a bit.

Thanks Rick. What does the M308B use if it doesn't have transformers? Do you think that the M35 has a better sound than the M308B?

Thanks,
Cliff

Thanks Rick. What does the M308B use if it doesn't have transformers? Do you think that the M35 has a better sound than the M308B?

Thanks,
Cliff

Tascam switched to active differential input front ends at some point. As far as I know, the last console to use input transformers was their large format Model 16.

Having never used the 308, I can't advise you as to how good it is or isn't.

I currently have a 2600-32 that is also transformerless and don't care for the preamp section too terribly much. That's more a function of TASCAM preamp design philosophy in general rather than the transformer/non-transformer issue. (The Tascam preamps I've dealt with all sound rather soft/slow in the transient department. I like a lot more "bip" and use Great River, FMR, Deanne Jensen, & Spectra Sonics devices to get it.)

Thank for your help!
Cliff

I always found TASCAM mixing boards to sound thin reguardless of model. But I ditched all of mine 25 years ago. I think of them more as collectors items than useable consoles. But YMMV Certainly.

I have used the 308B specifically and found it very nice sounding. The term "warm" may be overused but it applies to that board. I don't have experience with the M35 but do with the M30 but not sure how similar they are in sound quality. I think I preferred 308B over the M30 but it's not that dramatic of a difference, sound wise but feature wise, the 308B is a winner. Both boards are nice though.

I would imagine the M308 being much larger, and listing for a good amount more $$ to buy when new would be better than the smaller and older model 30 or 35.

I had bought a preowned M308 back in '96 (according to the s/n in the back, this particularr M308 is a 1985 model), as well as a Tascam 48, and believe it or not I was just too busy all these years to use them, but I am looking forward to start using them, finally!, so I am curious how the 308 will sound. (Ditto my A-3440 with Model 2A/MB-20, another very cool little mixer I like alot).

One minor 'complaint' I can say about the 308 is that its difficult to find a suitable piece of studio desk that it can rest on due to its square shape and longer size depth, since many desks/tables emphasize the width instead, such as for an M512 or 520, or even the M312.

M35 vs. M308B sound quality?

Just looking at sound quality I prefer the M300 series to the M35. Ultimately it’s a judgment call, but that's my take on it.

I get great recordings with Tascam gear... always have, but I know what I'm doing. ;)

well its a been a while but do you or anyone reading this reply have a manual on the tascam 308-B to sell? we need one!
greetings
krys

Back