Loopers/Phrase Samplers......

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
Wanting to get one for a potential live project. I see there are a bunch of different brands/models, but was looking for any pro/con recommendations?

One thing though...I think I really want just a looper/phrase sampler and not something with full of amp modeling, FX, etc....though I wouldn't mind one that had some basic drum beats, though I may just deal with that a different way.

I've seen some from Line 6, TC Electronics, Digitech, and they seem to be overloaded with a lot of other stuff besides the basic looping/sampling functions.
The one that I saw that looks really super that's just a looper/sampler is the Pigtronix Infinity...though pretty pricey, but I already have 4 Pigtronix pedals, and I really like their stuff...very well made and very functional, so it might be worth it.
Pigtronix Infinity Looper Offical Demo

Anyway...if anyone knows of something else...I'm taking suggestions. :)

I have a Boss RC20XL which is pretty good, I guess. I don't really have anything to compare it to. There are newer versions out with dual channel and you can get a big pedal board sized version which I think has four channels. Dunno if Boss are an option for you - some love them, a lot hate them.

I have been using a Digitech Jamman stereo looper for about a year now....it has improved my playing drastically......

you can turn off the effects you don't want to use.....

I used to really suck........now I just suck sometimes.........:rolleyes:

I've got a Boomerang (not the latest generation). It's pretty bulky and pretty low-featured for the price, so I probably can't recommend it.

I've got a Boss RC-30 and being dual track it is a great little unit for the job. The one thing that bothers me about it is that the two tracks have to be within the same length, so if you record a 4 beat pattern there is no way to create a longer, say 16 beat pattern on the other track. It does have 10 drum tracks and tap tempo, but a better solution is you can hook it up to a computer and load it with real WAV-samples which you can program through your favourite MIDI-drummer in your DAW for more real sounding drums. The FX aren't all that awesome but I sometimes, again, when I'm in a psychedelic mood, use the sweep filter or phaser since it goes with the tap-tempoed rhytms.

Here it is:
IMG_0209.JPG

I've got a Boss RC-30 and being dual track it is a great little unit for the job. The one thing that bothers me about it is that the two tracks have to be within the same length, so if you record a 4 beat pattern there is no way to create a longer, say 16 beat pattern on the other track.

Check out the Pigtronix Infinity I mentioned....it lets you do two different length loops and it will then sync then together for your on the fly (they cover it in the YT video demo).
It also does all the computer/MIDI stuff too.....

If you're looking for simple, TC Electronics just came out with the Ditto. I just got it yesterday so haven't had a chance to play with it, but that's all it does is loop.

To be honest....I've used it very little since getting it.

Yes, it does what it's supposed to do, and it has a lot of options, especially when you also add the 2-button remote switch, which I also got.
Thing is, it's an acquired taste....that whole loop/self-accompaniment thing. I can see how a one-man act might find a lot of use for it, but I'm not sure what else to use it for at this point.
I also wish the dual inputs/outputs worked a bit differently...like that you can have complete separation, so that if you record Loop1, you can send that to say, a PA, and then you can do another loop or play live, and send that output to your guitar amp, etc.....but as it stands, the I/Os end up getting combined.

I'm sure if I spent more time with it, I could find a good working setup....but I've not had a reason to use it much.
Like, it's OK for jamming...but honestly, at this stage I can just use my DAW and set up much more robust background tracks to jam to.

The one thing I haven't tired that could open up more possibilities, is to actually create stuff in the DAW, and then load it into the Infinity.
Heck, I even went and purchased a couple of 32GB cards, sent them in to Dave, and he formatted them for me, so that now I quadrupled my storage capacity, and with two cards I can save a lot of stuff, and then switch cards if I want to keep it....

...but.....like I said, I just haven't put the time into it up to now. :facepalm: :D

I see. I'm usually playing by myself these days and have always used the looper on the Strymon Timeline. I sold the Timeline recently as I didn't really use anything besides the looper and an emulated analogish delay. Got myself the Minifooger delay instead which suits my needs perfectly. So I think I will definitely use the looper as I used the Strymon one constantly. Time will tell.

I also wish the dual inputs/outputs worked a bit differently...like that you can have complete separation, so that if you record Loop1, you can send that to say, a PA, and then you can do another loop or play live, and send that output to your guitar amp, etc.....but as it stands, the I/Os end up getting combined.

I've had it for a couple of days and I've hardly left the studio since. I love the way you can use it with a bass guitar, send the bass signal to the bass amp and the guitar signal to the guitar amp. At first when I read your post, this is what I thought you meant it couldn't do so I was pretty disappointed. But I guess you mean using the same instrument and sending different loops to different units.

Anyway I absolutely love that fucking thing :D

Back