Looking For a Good Acoustic Guitar

Double

Well I am going to take the plunge; I have never had a good acoustic guitar and really know nothing about those beasts and am looking for a few suggestions. I ‘m a strummer not a finger picker and prefer the 25 1/2” scale length. I have played a few of my friends Gibson Acoustics (a mid 50’s SJ200 and a older Dove and Humming Bird) that I thought were really nice but finding a vintage acoustic in this neck of the woods is very tough. So I guess it is a new one and it looks like all I can afford is about $3,500.00. I have access to local dealers that carry Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Guild and a few more but their selection is very limited and of course they can order anything in for me but what? Does a cutaway affect the tone a whole lot or should I not bother. I will not use it live just for recording and it will probably be the guitar I will keep till I can’t play anymore.

Well I am going to take the plunge; I have never had a good acoustic guitar and really know nothing about those beasts and am looking for a few suggestions. I ‘m a strummer not a finger picker and prefer the 25 1/2” scale length. I have played a few of my friends Gibson Acoustics (a mid 50’s SJ200 and a older Dove and Humming Bird) that I thought were really nice but finding a vintage acoustic in this neck of the woods is very tough. So I guess it is a new one and it looks like all I can afford is about $3,500.00. I have access to local dealers that carry Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Guild and a few more but their selection is very limited and of course they can order anything in for me but what? Does a cutaway affect the tone a whole lot or should I not bother. I will not use it live just for recording and it will probably be the guitar I will keep till I can’t play anymore.

First off, all that you can afford is $3,500? Man, $3,500 will get you a fantastic instrument that, if looked after, will continue to sound and play great for the rest of your life.

As for your other question, a guy in my local music shop ocne told me that a cutaway and electronics should be your last considerations when it comes to a guitar. I'm nearly 100% sure - and Light or Muttley will probably row in on this - but the effect a cut-away has on tone is neglible. As you wont be playing live, dont worry about electronics either.

As for what guitar, it really depends and you're just going to have to go and try them out. There's so many combinations of various tone woods and alot of new instruments that are being made by ecologically-friendly alternative woods. If you're a strummer and not a picker, I'd say a dreadnought is for you. But even so, there's a big difference between the characteristics of the woods used and they'll all impact upon the sound.

Seems like a nice budget to work with. Good luck, amigo. Post pics when you get one.

I have zero opinion on this...not a good enough of a player to recommend anything.:o

I'm a Martin hound and that $3500 will get you anything through a D-45, I believe, although I think a good D-28 is still the best sounding model.

That said, there are lots of other high-end git-fiddles out there so have fun shopping, and let us know what you end up with. :)

Yeah, in your budget, the sky's the limit, really.

What I'd do in your shoes is allot a chunk of that - say, $500 - for travel and loging to get yourself somewhere where you can play a LOT of different guitars, and then once you find something that moves you drop the rest of that $3k on it. You're probably better off doing that and coming away with a $3k guitar than blindly taking a chance on a $3500 guitar based on what a bunch of guys who may not even share the same ideal tone and feel in an acoustic as you suggest.

I would say that you might check into something hand made at that price too, maybe built to your specs... I also think you could get a great deal these days if you hunt hard and pay in cash when you buy...

I JUST finished my search for my acoustic soul mate, and I had about the same budget as you. The first rule, like everybody here will tell you, is to play everything you can get your hands on. You never know, the guitar that speaks to you the most may not even come close to the top end of your budget.

In the lower range of your budget, here are a few to try:
Martin D-15
Taylor ??? (I can't keep their model numbers straight...there are several for less than $1200)
Blueridge
Gibson Songmaker
Guild (they have models all over the price ranges)

In the middle of your price range, here are a few to try:
Martin D-28
Martin HD-28
Gibson Advanced Jumbo
Gibson J45
Gibson Songwriter
Gibson Hummingbird
Taylor ??? (again, there are several in the $1500 - $2500 range)
Breedlove (I don't know their model numbers either)

In the higher end of your price range:
See if you can find a used Collings to play, otherwise they start at about $4200
Martin D-35
Martin HD-35
Martin D-41
Martin D-45 (Not sure that this is still in your price range, but a used one would be, or if you're a good haggler).
Martin Eric Clapton Signature
Martin John Mayer Signature (I don't like Mayer, but his signature Martin is freaking awesome)

And if you have $109,000 just lying around, burning a hole in your pocket, then pick up a Martin D-100. Who needs a house when you can have a D-100?

After I played pretty much every guitar I listed above, I ended up with a Martin D-41. If you see one of these at your local music stores during your search, please, please, PLEASE pick it up and strum a full 6-string G chord on it. If the guitar doesn't go home with you, I'll be surprised :D

I can at least share with you what I learned during my recent search for the perfect acoustic for me. First thing, I'm a dreadnaught fan. I don't hate orchestra models, but I've just grown to love the full-bodied boom of a dreadnaught. Orchestra models in general are going to be a bit easier to record because they don't tend to be as boomy as a dreadnaught does. But a dreadnaught can just fill a room with sound if you're either a singer/songwriter or a stage performer.

I think that if you're a stage performer, then you owe a good look to Taylor guitars. They sound terrific acoustically, and they generally have some good electronics in them that make them good stage guitars. A lot of Martins are starting to come with good electronics as options as well. Personally, I'm totally against electronics in an acoustic guitar because I don't perform and I have no use for a pickup. I have an electric guitar for times when I want to be amplified.

As far as the guitars that I played, I was hell-bent on getting an HD-28. I had played one a year ago and it just sent chills down my spine. Deep, deep lows, very powerful mids, and chiming, silky highs. A very loud, very powerful guitar. I played a D-35 and it was OK but the one I played had a crack all the way through the neck at the 1st fret. I missed my chance to play the HD-35, but the fellows at the store said it was the loudest, most electrifying guitar they'd heard in ages. I'd really like to hear one someday.

The Eric Clapton custom model (he has a few with Martin so I'm not sure how to identify which one I played...I assume the newest one). It was a fine instrument, a little boxy but nice and balanced like most Martin orchestra models are. It'd be a great blues guitar. It had a pretty wide, flat neck, almost like a classical, which isn't my favorite neck profile.

The John Mayer custom model really impressed the pants off of me. It was not only beautiful to look at, but it was very balanced and had a nice, full low end for an orchestra model type body. I really don't like Mayer's music but he really knows how to spec out an acoustic guitar. I'd say this is a must-try if you can find one.

The Gibson Advanced Jumbo was a great, big, sounding guitar. A little boomy, and the one I played had really dead strings on it so I didn't get a good gauge on how it truly sounded. But it was a nice and full sounding dreadnaught.

But then I played the D-41. Every other guitar simply paled in comparison to it for my tastes. It has the volume and huge sound of the HD-28, but without the boomy bottom end. The low end on the D-41 is so tight and focused, it almost sounds like an orchestra model. Plus the visual appointments on it make it a real head-turner. I'm not much of a flashy kind of guy, but this guitar is simply heaven. Here's a picture of it that I posted in another thread the day that I brought it home:

Photo0028%20upright.JPG

If your browser resizes that picture, definitely go to the source and view the picture full-size. It's so worth it to see a close-up of the abalone pearl binding, the abalone fret markers, the abalone dots on the bridge pins, the inlaid headstock logo that's used instead of the traditional C.F. Martin logo, plus you can just make out the beautiful cross-grain on the solid Sitka Spruce top in this pic. When you look at it under nice bright lights, that cross-grain shines through.

So...um...yeah...I guess I've made my point about my suggestion for your price range :-D

MSRP for a D-41 is $4999, Retail at Musician's Friend/Guitar Center is $3799, and the Lowest Advertised Price when I bought mine was somewhere just below $3300. Musician's Friend/Guitar Center will match the lowest advertised price, and they even helped me search around for a low price by letting me use their internet connection. Plus I had a text conversation going with my wife, who was at home searching for a low price on her own. All in all, it was a good experience and I got a guitar that's going to be with me for the rest of my natural life (and then to my children and then their children).

So I hope this info helps. Good luck in your search, and please, above, play everything you can get your hands on and don't buy online unless they have a very lenient return policy. You want to actually physically touch, inspect, and play every instrument that you'd even consider puchasing if you're going to spend this kind of money.

Cheers, and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Do you plan on recording this guitar? If so that should weigh heavily on your choice. I love the sound of my dreadnaught (Early Japanese Sigma DR7), but it's awkward to play seated, and doesn't sound as nice recorded as my 000C-16 Martin. The big body is somewhat boomy.

Check out this Larrivee

Your budget also puts you in the price range for L'arrivee, Alvarez-Yairi, Yamaha L-series, and Takamine, all of which are in the same class in terms of build quality as comparably priced Taylors, Martins, and Gibsons.
Your budget gives you a lot of choices to look at and consider. Happy hunting!

Here's my best advice. First, the cutaway is irrelevent, except that it adds to the price of the guitar. It's only needed for someone who's going to play really high on the neck, and it doesn't sound like that is you. It's effect on the sound is pretty much nothing. On the other hand, I like the advantages of a good pickup system in a guitar for live uses, and for songwriting when I'm travelling. Good pickup systems usually, but not always, come with a cutaway. Of course, you can add whatever system you want later, which should be figured into the price.
This is what's really important. Take your money and get in the car, or on a bus, train, whatever, and go to a major city. Then go to a major guitar store and start playing guitars. I can't tell you what guitar will talk to you. I like older Taylors with Fishman's in them, and I like Breedloves, some Martins, and many older Gibsons. I haven't played a recently made Gibson that I would buy at any price. Don't buy a mail order guitar. Just play them until you find the one that's really, really, hard to put down. For me, that was a Taylor 710CE, but- not *any* Taylor 710CE, *that* Taylor 710CE. Guitars are made out of wood (usually) by humans, and they aren't the same just because they are the same model. Just get your ass to a *huge* guitar store, and it will all become simpler.-Richie

TelePaul said:
you're just going to have to go and try them out

Zaphod B said:
have fun shopping

DrewPeterson7 said:
get yourself somewhere where you can play a LOT of different guitars...{which is better than} than blindly taking a chance on a $3500 guitar based on what a bunch of guys who may not even share the same ideal tone and feel in an acoustic as you suggest

Guitar Junkie said:
you could get a great deal these days if you hunt hard

So have we made our point yet? Each one of us can give you a personal reason why it's pretty much manditory to play any high-end acoustc guitar with your own two hands before purchasing it. Plus there's the bargain hunting aspect of it too.

$3500 might even get you a Muttley or Light instrument. :)

I can't speak to Muttley, but that is about $1000 too low for a new acoustic out of our shop. I could make you an awfully nice electric for that, though. I have two acoustics that have been hanging on the wall for a while that are still priced as they were when they were built, so you could do those. Great guitars, but not particularly fashionable with the custom guitar crowd these days (too big), though they might be good for the OP's "strummer not finger picker" style. ;)

I JUST finished my search for my acoustic soul mate, and I had about the same budget as you. The first rule, like everybody here will tell you, is to play everything you can get your hands on. You never know, the guitar that speaks to you the most may not even come close to the top end of your budget.

{snip}

Cheers, and happy hunting!

OK, I'm glad your search worked out for you, but could you please resize your picture dude?

Now, to the OP.

The guy who suggested spending $500 to travel somewhere and play a bunch of guitars was on to something. On the other hand, if you do any traveling you might be able to piggy back this as well and keep the extra $500 for your guitar!

Cutaways don't matter much unless you need the access. Most people don't, and of course there is no money above the 5th fret so....certainly they don't effect the sound in any perceptible way.

If you aren't going to use it live, don't get electronics - spend the money on the guitar instead. If you ever need electronics in the future, they are not all that expensive, and the after market stuff is just fine (better than the Taylor ES system!)

I would try all the usual suspects - Martin, Gibson, Taylor, etc., but do try some of the smaller boutique guys too. You probably won't get far into the single builder shop guitars (though maybe - this economy sucks if you make luxury items!), but makers like Santa Cruz, Bredlove, Larivee, Huss & Dalton, and such should be high on your list of things to try.

If you are going to travel, you should think about getting yourself to Nashville to check out Gruhn's, Palo Alto for Gryphon Music, Minneapolis for The Podium, New York for Mandolin Brothers, and probably a few others I can't think of. All of those guys have a slightly different emphasis in their stock, but they are some of the best acoustic guitar shops in the world. (I'm not suggesting you go to all of them, but if you are going to seriously consider traveling, look at their websites and see which you find most appealing. They all have great customer service as well as a great selection).

The biggest thing, though, is you REALLY want to try as many guitars as you possibly can. First of all, it will help you learn what's out there, and narrow down your options, but also because spending a Saturday in a guitar shop is FUN!!!!! Well, it is if you are in a great guitar shop.:D:D:D

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Your budget also puts you in the price range for L'arrivee, Alvarez-Yairi, Yamaha L-series, and Takamine, all of which are in the same class in terms of build quality as comparably priced Taylors, Martins, and Gibsons.
Your budget gives you a lot of choices to look at and consider. Happy hunting!

Larivee, yes, the rest, no.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Larivee, yes, the rest, no.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

At least we agre on the Larivee.
As for the others, I can only plead that I'm a player, not a builder so this can be a learning moment for me....

Not much to add -- +1 for Collings - try and make sure you play one before you pull the trigger.

I have an older Martin D-28 that I love, but I haven't liked the sound of the new ones I pick up at stores. Maybe they need to age? I think I remember mine sounding better than these when it was fairly young during the 70's, but it's hard to compare across that much time.

And once again - play, play, play, then buy

It's a buyer's market in what I would consider a golden age of steel stringed acoustic guitars, and as has been said earlier, you should travel to where you can play and compare a lot of them. When the right combination of tone and feel comes around you'll know it.

Good luck.

You could actually buy 2 very nice guits for that budget. Maybe a dreadnaught and an OM, or maybe a steel string and a nylon string. I paid $1,500 for my Webber OM and $1,600 for my Larrivee L-30. For $1,700-$1,800 each, you could set yourself up for a lifetime. Martin, Larrivee, and Taylor all have outstanding guits in that price range--especially used.

Many thanks for reply's. Again the issue is there is not a great selection where I live and I will have to travel at least 390 miles to the nearest dealer that carries a decent selection to even look at. I did talk to the local L'arrivee dealer and he is bringing in a few higher end models that I am going to look at. If I find something I will post a pic. I guess I will know what I want when I play it. Cheers

Back