let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
bduersch said:
Thanks! Although when I really want to show off I use this picture...
prs_collection_12-23-05_row.jpg

Someone once told me if I sold 3 or 4 PRS's I could buy some really nice mics, but really nice mics don't look quite as cool strapped across your shoulder at gigs. :) What can I say... I'm a guitar player first and a wanna-be recording engineer second.

--B

B B B B AAAAAAAAAAAAASSSTTAAARRRDDD! in short Bastard!!!!!!
I hate you but I better be your friend and have you will those guitars to me if anything unfortunate should ever happen. HAHA!

-Blaze

Well, some of you may remember I mentioned building my studio...you probably thought I was full of shit. So I present to you, my newly (almost)finished, yet to be dusted studio:

Here's my tracking room from the iso booth:

IMG_7028.jpg

Here's my tracking room from the entrance:

IMG_7026.jpg

Here's my control room with a dusty window, and some tools, I took a pic as soon as I could I still need to clean and find my windex:

IMG_7025.jpg

Oh yeah...this is what I started with, before my friend and I got dirty:

IMG_7000.jpg

Here you can see how my studio has grown over the past years. Funny thing is that 6 months after i bought my last console (the one in the 2005 pic) i decided to let the studio go private since i'm earning my money these days in broadcast sound.

Attachments

• downie.jpg
    downie.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,384
This is my temporary setup till I get my control room built then I can start properly treating this room once all my gear is out of this space.

IMG_0692.JPG

Heres an overall view of some of my gear not outstanding by any account but it gets the job done

IMG_0696.JPG

A close up of my main console

IMG_0697.JPG

and the control room will be right behind this wall I cant freakin wait to get back in there and start building. Ill drop some more pics in as I progress with it.

Here's an updated view from the flying position......

Attachments

• STUDIOwallpaper2.jpg
    STUDIOwallpaper2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,327
5ergo said:
How far from back wall should monitors be placed?
Can they be set too far from back wall?

Not sure this is a good place to ask this question... but

1) I feel this is about ratios... front/back.. In my opinion, your monitors should be in the first 40% of the room (In the front 40% of the room)..

2) What you should worry about is how you will be perceiving the sound... if there are reflections reaching you from the back of the room too quick, you'll be unable to distinguish them from the original sound of the speakers... on the other hand.. If there are reflections from the back of the room that take a long time to reach your ear, you'd probably have too much reverb in the room and it would cost big dollars to accoustically treat this large of a space.. Not to mention.. you'd be lacking some useful feedback from the room... I'm speaking of REAALY large spaces...

Basically you should keep em in the first half of the room... but keep them out of the center (front to back).. This could potentially cause phase cancellation....

Check it out: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

P.S. Ethan is the Guru on this.. not me... ;)

Thanks!
Sorry for off topic i just had to ask since most of you placed them very near back wall (assuming from pics).

My new homestudio in norway

Hello everyone, and thanks for a great forum :)

After using this forum for about a year i desided to rebuild my little home studio.

So here is the pictures of my nearly done home studio and construction of the studio :

http://www.liit.org/studio/

Wee my first post :p

Kenivel

Hooray for you!

Excellent first post and even better pictures. Nice digs!

Welcome aboard.

kenivel said:
Hello everyone, and thanks for a great forum :)

After using this forum for about a year i desided to rebuild my little home studio.

So here is the pictures of my nearly done home studio and construction of the studio :

http://www.liit.org/studio/

Wee my first post :p

Kenivel

Nice work there kenivel!
It looks like a very enjoyable place to be! :)

Hello, just joined this site......

Thought I'd post some pics of my studio. It's nice and works good but I don't have much space to work with. No control room, just a control area. I built the desk from scratch, it not only holds my recording gear but my complete PA also. If you notice from the front view, the foam that looks like speaker grills/covers are PA speakers, I thought that would be neat and save space. The room is used for band practice and recording. I built a vocal/isolation booth but am waiting for my foam to arrive to finish it up. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• Dscf6775.jpg
    Dscf6775.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 801
  • Dscf6799.jpg
    Dscf6799.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 748
  • Dscf6796.jpg
    Dscf6796.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 741
  • Dscf6810.jpg
    Dscf6810.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 734
  • Dscf6792.jpg
    Dscf6792.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 742
bdknocks said:
Let me know what you think

That desk looks frigen AWESOME for being built by yourself. Very well done. I'm into wood working so I can appreciate something like that. Very well done.

That back wall behind your control desk must be dead as hell. But no bass traps? All that foam is really only controlling the high freq's. IMHO you should consider putting up some bass traps in the corners where wall meets wall and wall meets ceiling.

It looks like a really fun space to practice in for a band. I like having a control room for band practices because I'll be in the live room on the drums and everyone one else in the CR playing relitively quietly while I listen to them on headphones. But what you have is better than most spaces. :)

kenivel said:

I love how many photos you took of the construction!!! It's great having the before, during, and after photos to look at to remember where you started and how much pain and sacrifice it took to geto the end point. I absolutely loved looking through all your pictures, what fun! Once I'm done with my studio I'll be doing the exact same thing. I've got so many pictures it'll take days to get them all organized and uploaded, but it'll be worth it for people to see what I've been doing.

Again, fricken awesome work man.

PS: Did it really only take a couple months to build that??? It's taken me 6 years!!! to build mine. haha.

Bass Traps

I'll be getting bass traps after the vocal booth is finished.......and after I pay the HUGE pile of bills I've ignored for the last month.....been busy building the desk and such........
I've been getting the foam off EBAY from a place called the Foamfactory. It's inexpensive and seems to be of good quality. Any thoughts on that?

Back