Lady Policeman

Wow I love the 12string in her, it reminds me of Starship Trooper (Yes).
Just listened for the first time tonight and this is EXACTLY what hit my brain when I first heard the guitar parts. Much of the bass parts and interplay of bass/guitar also have a Yes feel to them (listen from about 1:10 to 1:35 or so). Did you record two bass parts in this area or am I hearing things not there?

Excellent no matter what!!

Time alignment for mic's at different distances is critical IMO.

I disagree in part... I rarely time align my OH's and Room mics. For most things it's necessary, but I often find having the OHs and room slightly out of phase from the close mics opens up the sound quite a lot.

By far the best mix. Snare issue is resolved.

Great tune! I had it stuck in my head all weekend! :D

Just listened for the first time tonight and this is EXACTLY what hit my brain when I first heard the guitar parts. Much of the bass parts and interplay of bass/guitar also have a Yes feel to them (listen from about 1:10 to 1:35 or so). Did you record two bass parts in this area or am I hearing things not there?

Excellent no matter what!!

Thank you.
I think I was actually trying to channel John Paul Jones when coming up with the bass part this time, but Chris Squire is a definite hero of mine. But to answer your question, there is only one bass part throughout the song, so I'm not sure what you're hearing. There was no doubling, or layering. Every verse has a different bass-line; might that have something to do with it?

great tune, man....and a damn good voice!

I hear a bit of Styxx there, but maybe it's just me. It definitely has a nice
70's feel to it.....

Overall the mix sounds a bit too roomy for me, but that's just me again.

Guitars sound beautiful, how did you record them? Is it a tube amp?

Cheers
Joey

great tune, man....and a damn good voice!

I hear a bit of Styxx there, but maybe it's just me. It definitely has a nice
70's feel to it.....

Overall the mix sounds a bit too roomy for me, but that's just me again.

Guitars sound beautiful, how did you record them? Is it a tube amp?

Cheers
Joey

Joey -

The 360-12 was recorded using two amps; a Fender Supersonic (tube) and a Jazz Chorus 120 (SS).

The other guitar parts were recorded using the Supersonic alone.

Very nice tune... Overall, I like the mix but will listen on my NS10's and my AT-HP50's when I get back to my studio tonight. Listening on some AKG phones, I'm thinking the kick needs a couple of things.

1.. Put a lowpass filter on it for everything over about 300.
2.. Perhaps you could run it through something like Voxengo's new varisaturator? This adds some subtle tape like polish and punch.

Vocals... nice, but just a tad too deep in the mix imho. Would benefit from a nice plate... say emt 2.8ms?

I'm just being picky and this is personal taste.... very nice job.:)

Very nice tune... Overall, I like the mix but will listen on my NS10's and my AT-HP50's when I get back to my studio tonight. Listening on some AKG phones, I'm thinking the kick needs a couple of things.

1.. Put a lowpass filter on it for everything over about 300.
2.. Perhaps you could run it through something like Voxengo's new varisaturator? This adds some subtle tape like polish and punch.

Vocals... nice, but just a tad too deep in the mix imho. Would benefit from a nice plate... say emt 2.8ms?

I'm just being picky and this is personal taste.... very nice job.:)

Wow, that is some rather odd advice IMHO. Lowpass at 300hz? That won't leave any articulation. You won't have any freq's left to polish or add punch to. And a 2.8ms plate? Are you referring to the decay time? 2.8ms is EXTREMELY short. Who knows though, maybe it makes perfect sense, I dunno.

Ok.. Isolate your kick and experiment with this.
Throw a low pass filter on it at around 300. You don't want the higher freqency information. This is something that Shane Wilson goes over on his DVD. (Guide to Mixing)

As to the EMT... I meant a 2.8 second decay

The actual setting I like a lot for vocals is a EMT250 2.8s decay with a 23ms predelay.

ymmv... :)

I just downloaded the mp3 and made a few tweaks... Listening on the NS10's and the ATH-M50's your mix sounds really good. I think you might like the tweaks I did...:) I can email you the MP3.

I just downloaded the mp3 and made a few tweaks... Listening on the NS10's and the ATH-M50's your mix sounds really good. I think you might like the tweaks I did...:) I can email you the MP3.

Thanks, Steve - we'll try them tonight, with what I hope to be comparable plugs.

Well, I'm coming in a bit late with this so I'll just comment on the composition:

Outstanding. Very cool stark phrasing in the progression and inviting lyrics. Kind of an oxymoron there with Lady ****** man. That's cool in itself. I'm sure someone addressed the drastic change in the compression at 2:44 and the really tastey harmony at 3:15. I didn't read all the replies. I was a small boy when I started reading this thread.:D

BTW I'm with Dogman on the kick and Shawn about the overheads.

The guitar immediately reminded me of Who's Behind The Door by Zebra.

I like both their version and yours ;)

Been a while now since I heard the 1st mix, but I think I much prefer the newest one.

Sounds bigger somehow...I got a bit lost in all the discussion about the snare - is it possible whatever you did to work on that issue improved the cymbals too..? 'Cause I think they sound crispier now compared to the first mix.

Anyway, it is all beyond me at this point as you are operating at a level of homerecording that is foreign to me. I would've settled with a lesser mix long ago, but you continue to fine tune this to your credit.

The chorus has been intruding on my thoughts here and there for the past week as if I'd heard this many more times than I actually have. It definitely sticks with you.

Back