Lady Policeman

Cool tune!!! Good imagery, especially the part about the bullet-proof vest. You got me thinkin' there....... :D

Maybe more boxy and less spacious overall than some of your other stuff I've heard

The irony is, the previous stuff was recorded in a 9' x 14' tuffshed with a 7 foot high peaked ceiling with foam on it.

This was recorded in a 25' x 16' room with 12' ceilings, lots of bass traps, better mics, and better pres.

:o

The irony is, the previous stuff was recorded in a 9' x 14' tuffshed with a 7 foot high peaked ceiling with foam on it.

This was recorded in a 25' x 16' room with 12' ceilings, lots of bass traps, better mics, and better pres.

:o

Did you insulate the walls, and treat them? :D

Shit...I'm sorry....:p

Wow. Seriously WOW! This is just great. I wish there was more songs like this. It is just too cool. In some spots you kind of sound like Don Henley. i can't tell you how much I like this. How did you process the voice? Wow. Just wow.

...Maybe more boxy and less spacious overall than some of your other stuff I've heard...
A couple guys mentioned boxiness. I'm hearing a slight 1 kHz emphasis in the mix but the recording quality of the tracks is fantastic. I know how tough it is to get used to a new mixing room. FWIW, I hit the mix with a good quality EQ with a +1.5 dB high shelf at 3 kHz and a +3 dB low shelf at 200 Hz and thought it balanced out just right (this particular EQ has a "sound" with its shelves, that's why the high/low boosts rather than a single midrange cut)

I just had another listen, and I'm really enjoying the song.

Another thing to maybe think of; The rhodes in the section where the vocals are too loud seem too high in the mix for something that doesn't physically sound like it's being pushed..

OK that wasn't the most coherent sentence- but what I mean is that the distorted guitar is low in the mix, yet that's obviously an instrument which would have had to have been loud to result in that sound. The rhodes, on the other hand, is high in the mix when it doesn't sound like it's being played heavily.

I shouldn't post whilst I'm this tired, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at. I'd love to hear mix updates.

I just had another listen, and I'm really enjoying the song.

Another thing to maybe think of; The rhodes in the section where the vocals are too loud seem too high in the mix for something that doesn't physically sound like it's being pushed..

OK that wasn't the most coherent sentence- but what I mean is that the distorted guitar is low in the mix, yet that's obviously an instrument which would have had to have been loud to result in that sound. The rhodes, on the other hand, is high in the mix when it doesn't sound like it's being played heavily.

I shouldn't post whilst I'm this tired, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at. I'd love to hear mix updates.

I see what you mean.

The Rhodes suitcase model I'm using is actually very stiff and has the pickups fairly remote from the tines. I am actually whacking the shit out of it - I just didn't want the "distorted rhodes" sound - I wanted something a little cleaner.

That is an excellent if esoteric point you make and I will listen critically to that aspect for the remix.

Thank you.

Styx?
It's just kind of funny because neither Supercreep nor myself are Styx fans, really. I don't think I could even name one of their songs or album titles. Doesn't one of their songs start something like, "Oh, mama, I can something something something blah blah blah." And then it gets faster with a minor pentatonic guit riff. Isn't that them?

Anyway, thanks for listening. We've got work to do for sure. I had thought this was our best sounding recording to date. It's hard to say what's going on. We'll just have to keep plugging away at it.

Styx?
It's just kind of funny because neither Supercreep nor myself are Styx fans, really. I don't think I could even name one of their songs or album titles. Doesn't one of their songs start something like, "Oh, mama, I can something something something blah blah blah." And then it gets faster with a minor pentatonic guit riff. Isn't that them?

For the record, Styx was a kickass prog band. For some reason, people view them as some kind of John Teshlike Kenny G'ish Yanni ensemble.:D Ive played with them, and Ive also played with the singer (Dennis DeYoung) doing "music of Styx". They are the real deal and have some great stuff.:cool:
Even if you arent fans, consider it a compliment to be compared to them.:)

Wow I love the 12string in her, it reminds me of Starship Trooper (Yes).

Your vox are clean and great as allways, your voice is very suiting to the pieces you guys write.
The drums sounds exelent to me, very dry and nice.

Bass is cool and fits like a glove.

By only nit is the vibrato organ that comes in at 0:20, it sounds a bit misplaced together with the rest, maybe an other sound would suit the tune better?

Anyways I dig the tune, and its good to hear a LPC tune again.:):cool:

Ok guys - Pretty much everyone's suggestions have been incorporated to a degree.

Greg_L's suggestion for phase correction gave the snare a serious boost.

Bass is down a bit, vocals are down just a bit.

Kick is up a bit, guitars are up here and there.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4563&alid=-1

Seems to be a bit more depth to the kick...I love the bass...nice tone, and good presence. Good snare sound. Vocals and rhythm guitar compliment each other well. Fuck you Casey...:p nice vox man...:cool:

At my end, the kick could still use a bit more bottom end...it's got great snap, but not as much bottom as the toms seem to have. (could be at my end, and maybe I'm just trying to find more than you want there...seems to be lacking the room sound the toms have.)
Damn, I love those vox and the bass though...very nice. :D

Sort of like Styx but then again a Stones vibe too. Styx'n'Stones?
I, thankfully, wouldn't recognise a Styx track if I picked one up.
I think what I'm alluding to is that THIS IS A TOPS LPC SONG!

Back