Just replaced 12AX7's with 12AY7's, sweet!

Easto

I recently bought a used Crate Vintage Club 50. The first thing I did was to put in a new set of tubes (EL84's and 12AX7's Electro-Harmonix). I also had an amp tech go through it and fix a few cold solder joints, clean the pots and give it a basic servicing.

The problem was that this thing had way too much gain. The volume and gain knobs had very little finesse to them. You just start to move the volume knob and then... Wham! This was not what I was looking for, lol. The amp tech suggested I try some 12AY7's in it in various configurations and see if that gives me something closer to what I was looking for. It did! The lower gain tube (12AY7) in the first preamp slot for each channel did the trick. I now can adjust the tone and basically have an amp that reacts to my guitar and playing style without being "over the top" 100% of the time.

I did experiment briefly replacing the 12AX7's in the second stage but decided to go with the first configuration for a while until I get use to it and have a bit more time to enjoy the stage that it's at.

Did it change the overall tone? I remember changinf the preamp tubes in a Musicman that had a very brittle sound and it sweetened it up beautifully, but I can't remember what was replaced by what.

yup....

Another cool tube is the 12DW7.... Its half a 12AU7 and half a 12AX7. I'm going to buy one for my amp to soften up its distorion. I tried a 12AU7 but I didn't like how I lost the volume on my clean channel. I checked out the schematic and found that the 12DW7 would put the 12AX7 half on the clean and the 12AU7 on the overdrive. Sweet!! I'll let you guys know how it turns out if you want........

Clive Hugh said:
Did it change the overall tone? I remember changinf the preamp tubes in a Musicman that had a very brittle sound and it sweetened it up beautifully, but I can't remember what was replaced by what.

I've only been able to play through it for about 1/2 hour. A few things have come up lately but I should have some time tomorrow to get into it a bit more. But I will tell you that it does sound so much better. Before it was nothing but gain and fuzz. Now you can actually tell the amp has a personality. So far I'm quite happy.

gusfinley said:
Another cool tube is the 12DW7.... Its half a 12AU7 and half a 12AX7. I'm going to buy one for my amp to soften up its distorion. I tried a 12AU7 but I didn't like how I lost the volume on my clean channel. I checked out the schematic and found that the 12DW7 would put the 12AX7 half on the clean and the 12AU7 on the overdrive. Sweet!! I'll let you guys know how it turns out if you want........
you should try a 12AT7 . they are inbetween 12AX7 and 12AY7 as far as gain is concerned. a much nicer tube

Rodger Hartlett said:
you should try a 12AT7 . they are inbetween 12AX7 and 12AY7 as far as gain is concerned. a much nicer tube
The reason I went with the 12AY7 was due to the suggestion and recomendation from my amp guy. He had recently serviced this amp and suggested this tube (after me asking about several) saying it would work well with this amps circuitry and electrical values without causing any harm (in any of the old 12AX7 slots).

Back