Just ordered a carvin cobalt C980

minofifa

http://www.carvin.com/products/cobalt.php

I have been eyeballin' this guitar for about a year now, and finally decided to spend some hard earned credit on it. It is a jumbo which i am looking forward to, a really nice looking guitar. The many reviews of it are quite positive, except for a lack of bass which is a bit concerning. i'm looking to make good use of my 10 day trial period iwth it. One thing i don't really like is how biased some of the reviews are. I realize that it is pretty much a guarentee that people will give their own guitars a 10, but it doesn't help me out much Every review i have read compares the cobalts to mid range taylors and martins. Well i hate martins, they play like crap to me. I have played a few nice taylors but then again have playes some junk taylors as well. I just want to try to the cobalts to see where they stand and if i like it, i'll keep it.

I'll let everybody know how it goes when i get it. is anybody else using a carvin acoustic around here?

I've got an 850 and really like it. It plays more like a taylor than a martin if it's setup correcctly. As far as sound is concerned, it isn't mahogany so it's not going to sound like a martin (thank god). I can't really tell you how yours is going to sound or compare because you got the jumbo. I can tell you that you are going to get a a good guitar for the price. I read all the reviews before I bought mine (about 1.5 years ago) and I know what you're saying about the people comparing them the taylors. I personally don't think that. I think they are a better deal than the taylor, because taylors are overpriced... but I feel as though a 614 is going to sound better than a 850. The nice thing about everything carvin is that they are very well built and they do what they are meant to do well. All in all, I would still buy the carvin 850 over a taylor 614, just based on a price vs sound vs quality type ratio. I think (hope) you will be pleased.

hixmix said:
apl will be proud of you. ;)

I've not had a chance to play the Cobalts. They came out after I had visited one of their stores. They seem to have speced the guitars to have similar necks and actions to their electrics, so they should be very playable.

Do let us know how you like it!

I'm excited... apl and I will have to show off our carvin gear sometime... It will be loads of fun, and we will laugh about how it is awesomly awesome in its awesomness...

Echelon said:
I'm excited... apl and I will have to show off our carvin gear sometime... It will be loads of fun, and we will laugh about how it is awesomly awesome in its awesomness...

Just for the record, I heavily dissed Carvin mics over in the mic forum.

i played one a few months ago and it was a great guitar the wood was good looking and. and the binding was clean and neat, the tuners were Grover i think and as always i love those! the neck was a little thin for my hands as i have real long fingers. i like a little more wood there but it was nice just the same i think the bass was a little thin for its size but then some moron had put elixer lights on it. duh..... any way set it up with some "good" strings (yes i know i will end up with bad rep for this) and play it in a while i think it will turn out great for you as i said you have to work with it play it in. me and the owner thought that the guitar was going to mellow out in about 2 years of hard gigging and playing around the house and studio.

got it today... boy it looks nice!!!

I was playing it on my lunch break so i've had about 30 minutes with it. I am completely satisfied with it, in terms of what i expected. I'll try to be as honest as i can be ( i hate it when people give their new guitars all 10's...).

Sound = 8
I love how much brighter this guitar is than my tak. It has a nice clear sound that i think suits using a pick as opposed to fingerpicking. It can handle the strong attach of a pick much better than my old tak (it used to buzz a lot). I play guitar a whole step down (DAFCBD) and the cobalt still remains clear and "non-buzzy". As i expected, the bass is a bit weak. I knew this going in though. It definately has presence in the bass but for a jumbo i think it should be stronger. Also, the overall volume is not much more than my dreadknot tak. This surprised me for a jumbo.

Playability = 9
I much prefer the feel of a jumbo to a dreadknot. I find that it fits my srumming arm way better. The next is great as well. I can cleanly play a barred A on the 12th brett with no buzz or wierd noizes. The cutaway doesn't offer much more of the neck to play with but oh well. I also really like the tuners, they hold strings well and are cinsistent when adjusting them.

other = well hard to give a number...
Just thought i should mention some other stuff. The pickup is pretty crazy. it has a zillion faders and knobs which i know nothing about as i don't usually play with my guiar plugged in (my old tak had no settings at all). I'm lookin forward to tinkering to find some nice sounds. The case is a perfect fit for the guitar, so there is no movement inside at all. I like this cuz i do a lot of traveling with my guitar. The overall apperance of the guitar is very pleasing i think. I love the paua/abalone inlays and the high gloss on the body. The wood on the front is perfect as well.

overall, i would recommend this guitar to anybody looking for something a bit nicer than the mainstream taks that are out. to be fair, i really havn't played a lot of different makes, as i live in the boonies. the shipping from california to canada was painless (this is rare) and quick.

Back