Just Bought a Beyer M160 - is it second hand?

diskobox

Hi,

bit confused here. Bought an M160 from GAK.co.uk. Never bought or used one before. It came with two frequency charts. One from 26.11.2009 & one from 30.05.2011 (both attached). The latter shows the frequency response diminishing in some areas, most notably 4K.

Does this mean the microphone is second hand and the quality of my ribbon has diminished?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks you

Ian

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
Actually the 2011 looks flatter than the 2009, if slightly less sensitive. I would guess it has had a new ribbon (or two).

The only thing that really counts is if it sounds good to you.

Beyerdynamic is one of the only companies in their price range that actually give you the generic "marketing version" of the mic's frequency response as well as a measured chart of the actual mic you bought with the serial number. They always differ at least slightly. The only way I can see that they did 2 with different dates is as Xaudia pointed out.

The cool thing is that it's a Beyerdynamic chart, so I'm sure it's within their acceptable spec for that mic. Those charts don't tell the whole story anyway. Plus it's refreshing to see a show of honesty from the folks at Beyer.

Is the mic used? Maybe. Maybe someone tried it out in the store and blew into it or found that it was damaged so Beyer re-ribboned it.

Highly respected mic you got there.

Hi,

bit confused here. Bought an M160 from GAK.co.uk. Never bought or used one before. It came with two frequency charts. One from 26.11.2009 & one from 30.05.2011 (both attached). The latter shows the frequency response diminishing in some areas, most notably 4K.

Does this mean the microphone is second hand and the quality of my ribbon has diminished?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks you

Ian

This indicates to me that the mic. is not "brand new".

If it's not second-hand, it is most likely a demonstration unit, exchange unit, or B-stock unit that was sent back to Beyerdynamic for checking and/or repair and was measured again.

If you paid normal price for it I would complain to the dealer.

Back